A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Soaring and sailing: anyone successfully divide their time betweenthe two, or better pursued as different life phases?

Old August 2nd 17, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Soaring and sailing: anyone successfully divide their timebetween the two, or better pursued as different life phases?

George and Suzanne seemed to be able to get cranked up for the big soaring contest of the summer--preceded by fairly intense practice in the spring--and then disappear from the gliderport while they were on the sailboat for a while. IIRC, they kept it in the water at Staten Island.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"
Old August 2nd 17, 02:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Soaring and sailing: anyone successfully divide their timebetween the two, or better pursued as different life phases?

On Tuesday, August 1, 2017 at 10:21:46 PM UTC-4, wrote:
George and Suzanne seemed to be able to get cranked up for the big soaring contest of the summer--preceded by fairly intense practice in the spring--and then disappear from the gliderport while they were on the sailboat for a while. IIRC, they kept it in the water at Staten Island.

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

We are on a 2 week sailing trip now and I have to say the Q's have been awesome and the streets go for miles. Can't wait to get home to the airport.
But I also must say that my crew is enjoying her time away from the airport and that's important to me. She will hold the umbrella and think back to sailing.
Glen W and now GB
Old August 2nd 17, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

snips

On 8/2/2017 7:23 AM, wrote:

We are on a 2 week sailing trip now and I have to say the Q's have been awesome and the streets go for miles. Can't wait to get home to the airport.

It'll be raining for the two weeks after your return... :'(
--
Dan, 5J
Old August 2nd 17, 07:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]
external usenet poster

Francois Pin spends a lot of time soaring in the summer and sailing in the winter
Old September 1st 17, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I have been doing this successfully for almost a year now. I have lived aboard my sailboat here in Miami for 5 years. I haven't found a conflict yet.. In fact, I enjoy the diversity.

What you may not realize is that unlike a glider, a liveaboard sailboat requires a LOT of maintenance. For example, if you are actively cruising, a 36' Catalina requires about 7 hours per week. A 42' Vagabond requires about 20 hours per week. I can show evidence. I'm not just making up these numbers. Maintenance costs and time go up exponentially with the length of the boat.

I spend way more time fixing the boat than I do sailing it or flying the gliders.

Soon I will retire and will strap the boat down on land during hurricane season and just go glider flying for about 5 months each year.

Ben Ethridge
CFI-II, MEI, Commercial Glider Rating
Old September 2nd 17, 12:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Vsoars
external usenet poster

I could not imagine life without either of these two life-enriching activities. Sailing was easier to access, so that came first for me. But the sky is home. In Houston the best sailing season is the weakest soaring time. So it works nicely. iItturns out that many more friends will join me for sailing in my Catalina 32' than in my Duo, but that's fine. Taking guests up for a cross country flight is problematic. On a boat when off-shore won't work, there always is wine

So in this devestating floodi, I dream of both, but sailing is more likely what I will do first. Either way, I still can't believe anyone should choose. It would be like choosing between my two children. I guess it's problem some guys have. I will always make both work.
Val
Old September 2nd 17, 03:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Val- best wishes for you and all the other victims of Harvey, but making sailing at this time "what you will do first" is fairly obvious. Gotta get to the airport somehow, right?