A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

GOES-16 Site for Satellite Imagery and Animation- realearth.ssec.wisc.edu

Old July 30th 17, 12:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]
external usenet poster

Default GOES-16 Site for Satellite Imagery and Animation- realearth.ssec.wisc.edu

ACCESS TO 0.5KM VISIBLE IMAGERY!

I've found a University of Wisconsin GOES-16 tiled access site to various imager channels. Try this:

http://realearth.ssec.wisc.edu/?prod...mationspeed=50

Manually change the URL with BAND02 (for visual 0.5km imagery - 0.64micro red channel) to BAND14 (window channel IR) at night.

It appears you can pan/zoom all over the satellite view and set the number of frames to animate. I'm watching a high resolution animation right now of 10 frames. In the upper left hand corner, you can select "Google" "Terrain" and check label on to overlay geo referencing.

The GOES-16 imagery is every 15 minutes.

Note, that it does not appear one can change the imager channel number (BAND) using the web interface. Just change the channel (BANDXX) in the url.

Not bad... I can really see the difference in detecting isolated cu fragments between 0.5km and 1km resolution. Also, dynamic range of visible imagery is much improved.

Walt Rogers WX
Old July 30th 17, 02:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

Default GOES-16 Site for Satellite Imagery and Animation- realearth.ssec.wisc.edu

Thanks. I've been experimenting with this site, too. The resolution is remarkable.

http://weather.cod.edu/satrad/exper/

Paul A.
Old July 30th 17, 11:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy Blackburn[_3_]
external usenet poster

On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 4:29:36 PM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:

Thanks for the pointer Walt. Very cool.

Is there a translation of what the different imager channels correspond to - and how many channels there are?

Will be a great tool. Wish you could get access to it as a FIS-B (or similar) service and import it in real time straight onto a glide computer.

Someday :-)

9B

I've found a University of Wisconsin GOES-16 tiled access site to various imager channels. Try this:

Manually change the URL with BAND02 (for visual 0.5km imagery - 0.64micro red channel) to BAND14 (window channel IR) at night.

It appears you can pan/zoom all over the satellite view and set the number of frames to animate. I'm watching a high resolution animation right now of 10 frames. In the upper left hand corner, you can select "Google" "Terrain" and check label on to overlay geo referencing.

Note, that it does not appear one can change the imager channel number (BAND) using the web interface. Just change the channel (BANDXX) in the url.

Not bad... I can really see the difference in detecting isolated cu fragments between 0.5km and 1km resolution. Also, dynamic range of visible imagery is much improved.

Walt Rogers WX

Old July 31st 17, 05:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WaltWX[_2_]
external usenet poster

On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 3:09:04 PM UTC-7, Andy Blackburn wrote:
On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 4:29:36 PM UTC-7, WaltWX wrote:

Thanks for the pointer Walt. Very cool.

Is there a translation of what the different imager channels correspond to - and how many channels there are?

Will be a great tool. Wish you could get access to it as a FIS-B (or similar) service and import it in real time straight onto a glide computer.

Someday :-)

9B

Note, that it does not appear one can change the imager channel number (BAND) using the web interface. Just change the channel (BANDXX) in the url..

Walt Rogers WX

Yes, just Google search GOES-16 IMAGER CHANNELS

Walt WX