Uvalde USA 18 Meter Nations Yesterday and today is first practice day

Old July 31st 17, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Kelley #711

Default Uvalde USA 18 Meter Nations Yesterday and today is first practice day

On Sunday, July 30, 2017 at 9:21:19 AM UTC-5, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
Yesterday, started around 2:30 pm for me. Small CU started to pop and shortly I decided to run South. As the afternoon developed bases, yes, bases rose to 10,000 msl late in the day. Some ran North into the hill country. Seems most had good flights. Some are posted on the OLC. Hill country also had clouds.
I assembled late and flew dry..... Climbs were great as several went, yes, 10+kts. Clouds were honest.
After I ran 65 miles south I then ran towards the usa/mexico border to Eagles pass and then back south before heading to the hill country. Landed around 7 pm. TM had a great flight as Keith ran into the hill country. His flight and comments are on the OLC.
Today is first practice day. Pilots meeting 10 am at hanger on airport. My guess is first launch around 12:45 ish.

Best. Tom #711.

Just a quick wrap up on the first practice day. Very briefly it was really, really hot. Pilot's meeting @10 am went quick. We started push out around noon ish and first launch was say 1 pm or so. I was in the start cylinder waiting for the start to open then it dawned on me it was already opened by the CD during the meeting. It was a speed task and first turn was west at Spofford. Crusing towards Spofford we had good cu's and climbs to 8,000 msl. Next we headed south to Carrizo Springs. We had some, but not many, small cu's. Running northbound out of Carrizo Springs gave some good climbs of 5 kts+ in the blue until we got to a small cu field around Uvalde. Going to Concan the TP had some serious developing going on. When we left the tp and headed to Dilley when you needed a climb a puff would appear and bang 5-6 kts up. Dilley headed home was another fairly easy run as I bumped and climbed until final glide said go home. Landing was good as all cruised in and set up a good pattern. No problems and right now it has started to rain as some small cells are coming in from the North. Maybe "splatter" instead of rain would be more informative. Scores are up on the SSA website. Best.#711.🇺🇲ï¸ðŸ‡ºðŸ‡²ï¸ðŸ‡ºðŸ‡²ï¸
Old July 31st 17, 02:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Appreciate the daily updates, please keep them coming.
Old July 31st 17, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 6:34:15 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Appreciate the daily updates, please keep them coming.

Not everyone is flying today, several including 711 and 7T stayed in the tiedowns. A short task, due to mandatory pilots meeting this evening.
230.85 SM / 159.88 - 304.60 SM.
It's pretty pleasant on the ground after the storms last night.
Jim