LS-4 Water bag repair

Old May 7th 09, 06:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
M C

Default LS-4 Water bag repair

Does anyone know what material was used for the LS-4 water bags?

A friend needs to buy some material to repair a couple of small leaks.

Thanks

Mike
Old May 7th 09, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On May 7, 1:30*am, M C wrote:
Does anyone know what material was used for the LS-4 water bags?

A friend needs to buy some material to repair a couple of small leaks.

Thanks

Mike

If you're talking about the original factory ones (tan color), I think
they are a rubberized vinyl (don't hold me to that). More
importantly, most of the ones I've seen are in awful shape by now;
they usually have de-laminated. I helped a fried repair one using a
plastics repair kit. As soon as we had one hole patched, others
sprung up.

Ended up buying Smiley Bags (US).

P3
Old May 7th 09, 01:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On May 7, 1:30*am, M C wrote:
Does anyone know what material was used for the LS-4 water bags?

A friend needs to buy some material to repair a couple of small leaks.

Thanks

Mike

You may not really want to know the answer to that question.
Hint: are there pretty mermaids embossed in the plastic ?
See ya, Dave

PS: There are aftermarket bags of sturdier materials...
Old May 7th 09, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On May 7, 8:27*am, Papa3 wrote:
On May 7, 1:30*am, M C wrote:

Does anyone know what material was used for the LS-4 water bags?

A friend needs to buy some material to repair a couple of small leaks.

Thanks

Mike

If you're talking about the original factory ones (tan color), I think
they are a rubberized vinyl (don't hold me to that). *More
importantly, most of the ones I've seen are in awful shape by now;
they usually have de-laminated. * *I helped a fried repair one using a
plastics repair kit. *As soon as we had one hole patched, others
sprung up.

Ended up buying Smiley Bags (US).

P3

Quick addition: Search LS4 water bags on the google groups and
you'll see a couple of other threads on this topic. I think the
ultimate conclusions we 1. Get new bags 2. Smiley bags not
available. 3. Source in Australia had good replacements.

Old May 7th 09, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Goulding[_2_]

At 05:30 07 May 2009, M C wrote:
Does anyone know what material was used for the LS-4 water bags?

A friend needs to buy some material to repair a couple of small leaks.

Thanks

Mike

Hi

I have posted here before on this subject .. Clipper Plastics in Australia
..great bags great price ... If you need more info email me on

Paul
Old May 7th 09, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have posted here before on this subject .. Paul

Dear Mike,

Now that you have officially received the obligatory admonishment for
inquiring about something that has been previously discussed at some
point during the entire past history of r.a.s. (the HORROR!), here's
the alluded to company's website:

http://www.clipper.com.au/

Good luck, and don't you never, ever again dare ask about anything
that has already been posted here before! ; )

Old May 7th 09, 04:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

On May 7, 5:27*am, Dave Nadler wrote:

Hint: are there pretty mermaids embossed in the plastic ?

I've heard that the paisley ones make you go faster, but the LBA has
only approved the daisy pattern.

Thanks, Bob K.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/hp-24
Old May 7th 09, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3

On May 7, 11:43*am, wrote:
I have posted here before on this subject .. Paul

Dear Mike,

Now that you have officially received the obligatory admonishment for
inquiring about something that has been previously discussed at some
point during the entire past history of r.a.s. (the HORROR!), here's
the alluded to company's website:

http://www.clipper.com.au/

Good luck, and don't you never, ever again dare ask about anything
that has already been posted here before! *; )

Not an "admonishment" at all. One of primary benefits of the
Internet is the ability to look up information which may have been
posted in the past rather than relying on the (sometimes shaky)
memories of the people posting this time around. You can consider
this an admonishment for your admonishment.
Old May 7th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On May 7, 8:58*am, Papa3 wrote:
On May 7, 11:43*am, wrote:

I have posted here before on this subject .. Paul

Dear Mike,

Now that you have officially received the obligatory admonishment for
inquiring about something that has been previously discussed at some
point during the entire past history of r.a.s. (the HORROR!), here's
the alluded to company's website:

http://www.clipper.com.au/

Good luck, and don't you never, ever again dare ask about anything
that has already been posted here before! *; )

Not an "admonishment" at all. * One of primary benefits of the
Internet is the ability to look up information which may have been
posted in the past rather than relying on the (sometimes shaky)
memories of the people posting this time around. * *You can consider
this an admonishment for your admonishment.

....actually it's an admonishment of his admonishment about
admonishments.

This, of course, is an admonishment of your incorrect admonishment
about his admonishment on admonishments.

9B

P.S. Having had an entire LS wing bag dump into my cockpit on course
during a contest years ago I'd endorse the suggestion of replacement
over repair. Funny the pressure trapped air can put on a sealed bag as
the altitude goes up.
Old May 7th 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

I think the suggestions all lean towards replacement, a good idea.
I had a bag explode in an LS-4 too. Seventy liters in the cockpit
puts the CG a little too far forward to climb, or to keep the nose off
the runway at the end of the landing roll.
Replacing waterlogged electronics could be more expensive than
replacement of the bags. Somehow I was lucky and the radio survived
the underwater experience.
Time for new bags, the best you can get. Don't be tempted to buy
shower curtains whether paisley, daisy or other fashionable embossed
or printed design.
Do you have someone with thin arms to put the bags back in, Mike?
If the LS-4 hasn't already been converted to a 4a with larger bags,
now is the time if you can get the rubber baby buggy bumpers from DG.
Check TN 4018.
Jim

Water bags ASM Soaring 0 May 26th 07 08:00 PM
Water, water, everywhere, but none for thirsty wings.... Chris OCallaghan Soaring 0 November 21st 04 03:14 PM