Privacy alert,where does it end?

Old February 20th 05, 06:58 PM
Pete Reinhart

Default Privacy alert,where does it end?

All,
This just in,
A Realtor friend of mine just e-mailed me with the following information.
Google now is now making it possible for someone to input your phone number
and get your home address, and a map to it too!
I haven't tried it yey but she said there is all sorts of personal
information attached.
There is supposed to be an opt-out function avalable.
May not work if you only have a cell number or an unlisted number, but I
haven't checked that either.
Cheers (or, no cheers on this one) and good luck!

--
Pete Reinhart
Austin, Texas

Old February 20th 05, 07:24 PM
Vaughn

"Pete Reinhart" wrote in message
All,
This just in,
A Realtor friend of mine just e-mailed me with the following information.
Google now is now making it possible for someone to input your phone number
and get your home address, and a map to it too!

This is nothing new. What is the problem?

I haven't tried it yey but she said there is all sorts of personal
information attached.

Only some links to companies who will offer to SELL you personal
information. What is the problem?

There is supposed to be an opt-out function avalable.
May not work if you only have a cell number or an unlisted number, but I
haven't checked that either.

I consider myself a bit of a privacy buff, but I have always been in the
phone directory for a broad range of reasons. There have been phone directories
on the Internet for years, this is no different. What is the problem?

Before I forget to ask, what is the problem?

Vaughn

Old February 20th 05, 08:50 PM
Shawn

Pete Reinhart wrote:
All,
This just in,
A Realtor friend of mine just e-mailed me with the following information.
Google now is now making it possible for someone to input your phone number
and get your home address, and a map to it too!
I haven't tried it yey but she said there is all sorts of personal
information attached.
There is supposed to be an opt-out function avalable.
May not work if you only have a cell number or an unlisted number, but I
haven't checked that either.
Cheers (or, no cheers on this one) and good luck!

Old capability Pete. I remember messing around with something like this
in the mid 90s. I think it was old news then. I look at Google's
service as a convenience. It makes it even easier to do what's been
possible (easily) for years.
I just checked on Google; enter my name and the city where I live, no
quotes, no state, and you get my address and phone number. I'm not worried.

Shawn