Baxterisms

Old August 17th 05, 07:50 PM
john smith

Default Baxterisms

Instrument flying is an unnatural act probably punishable by God.

— Gordon Baxter
Old August 18th 05, 01:34 AM
vincent p. norris

Instrument flying is an unnatural act probably punishable by God.

— Gordon Baxter

I seem to recall reading that in one of Bax's columns in Flying. It
was in a column telling about an unpleasant experience he'd had in
IMC.

The fact that he was able to write a obut it suggests to me that God
doesn't consider it a punishable offense.

(He has certainly passed up many chances to punish me over the past
50 years!)

vince norris
Old August 18th 05, 04:14 AM
Jim Burns

Well yeah!!! Remember?? Both Baxter and God fly a Stearmans! I'd NEVER go
IFR in a Stearman! (well, at least not hard IFR)
hehe
Jim

. ..

Old August 18th 05, 01:48 PM
Dave Butler

I seem to remember an anecdote wherein Bax was a banquet speaker and took a
question from the floor from someone whose spouse wouldn't fly with him.

"Yeah, my first wife said that." replied Bax.
Old August 18th 05, 03:35 PM
Doug

Can't get to heaven if you don't have an instrument rating, as you
can't fly above 18,000' :-)

Old August 18th 05, 06:00 PM
john smith

Doug wrote:
Can't get to heaven if you don't have an instrument rating, as you
can't fly above 18,000' :-)

You know the part in 'High Flight where it talks about putting out your
hand to touch the face of God? Well, when we're at speed and altitude in
the SR, we have to slow down and descend in order to do that.

— USAF Lt. Col. Gil Bertelson, SR-71 pilot, in 'SR-71 Blackbird:
Stories, Tales and Legends,' 2002.