Common instruments on small aircraft

Old October 22nd 06, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Common instruments on small aircraft

RK Henry writes:

If we're restricted to those choices, the Nissan would be more fun.
You can go to the beach, the mountains, the movies, the museum, other
interesting places where you can see things and meet other people. And
if you do meet someone, the Nissan has a place for her to sit.

That part doesn't apply to a plane.

Same thing for an airplane. An airplane can take you to all sorts of
interesting, educational, entertaining, profitable places.

Using general aviation for transportation is very different from using
it for leisure. When you use it for leisure, you can afford to wait
for good weather and you can be happy going anywhere. When you use it
for transportation, you cannot afford to wait for good weather and you
have to go to specific places.

With the simulator, no matter where you go, there you are.

Which is where I want to be. I hate travel.

Old October 22nd 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Judah

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Judah writes:

The first plane I trained in was as basic as they get - one radio, one
NAV. It was adequate as a trainer, and even for renting (although I
bought a handheld GPS after I started renting more frequently). But
they sold that flight school and I don't think you can rent those
planes anymore.

I think I'd be worried in a plane like that.

Worried about what, exactly?

From what I hear, they now have a
couple of G1000 planes as well that they rent out with a special
checkout and for a slightly higher price as well, but I haven't flown
them.

Hmm ... I'd be worried in a plane like that, too, but not for the same
reasons.

Worried about what, exactly?

Then I joined a flight club. All the planes in the flight club have
similar equipment - 2 nav/coms, Autopilot, GPS. The club has 2 Archers,
3 Arrows, and 3 Bonanzas, with nearly identical panels. The Bonanzas,
as "travel" planes, have some add-ons like HSIs, and one has a
StrikeFinder. The airframes aren't brand new like at the Cessna Dealer,
but they are clean, well maintained, include modern avionics, and the
price and availability are worth it.

Those sound nice.

I have to say, they are nice. I enjoy the club planes very much. Great
planes with a great pricetag.

Old October 22nd 06, 02:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Judah

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

In practice, I usually just go on flights that are of an acceptable
duration in real time, and then fly them in real time. It's true that
small aircraft take a long time to get anywhere compared to large
jets--but then again they often seem to be much faster than cars (even
though their actual speed over the ground isn't that much greater).

For example, driving from Phoenix to the Grand Canyon takes hours, but
I can be there in about 45 minutes in a Baron.

I could be wrong, but I believe the Cruising Speed of a Baron is about 175 -
185Kts, or about 200-215MPH. The speed limit on most US Highways is 65-75MPH.
In no-wind conditions, if both vehicles are travelling in a straight line
(rare for IFR aircraft, but even rarer for vehicles on the ground) the Baron
is faster by nearly a factor of 3. Perhaps you are not flying the Baron
properly to achieve maximum performance.
Old October 22nd 06, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Judah

"Morgans" wrote in
:

"Judah" wrote

Oh, and Manic, so you don't have to ask... No, the GA Aircraft that I
fly do not have a 16x mode button which causes time to travel at 16x
normal. I heard that NASA and the Military had worked on one in the
early 70s, but the results were just too upsetting to tolerate because
they had limited control of the speed at which time travelled. All
three times that they tried it, the Pilots of that craft found
themselves on a planet that was controlled by talking Apes.

"Damn them!!! Damn them all to hell!!!"

LOL! Perfect. You anticipated the next question, and saved an extra
post!

Sad, but true.

Still, there are those among us who say he is asking good questions, and
to not discourage him. Hmmmm.

A small number of his questions might actually allow someone to learn from
others' experience.

Typically, though, he is just looking for validation of his simulator
experience, or his decision to avoid actual flight, and that's when I start
to get annoyed.

Old October 22nd 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"Judah" wrote

A small number of his questions might actually allow someone to learn from
others' experience.

You are really reaching for it, when you use might in the above sentence.

MOST of his questions are unnecessary, argumentative, have already been
answered in previous threads, or just plain dumb. We can do without his
questions. Are you sure that continuing the dialogue with him is what you want
to be doing?

Did you read the post from Dudley in today's postings? He hit the nail on the
head. In short, Dudley said the guy is one of the best trolls he has seen in a
long time. As usual, Dudley is right on. He goes on to say that he is so good,
because he gets people like you to post in response to him, and people like me
to say it is the wrong thing to do.

I really want to quit doing this. I want the troll to go away. Do you? You
know what to do. Do the right thing.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 22nd 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Ron Wanttaja

On Sat, 21 Oct 2006 23:02:49 +0200, Mxsmanic wrote:

Judah writes:

The first plane I trained in was as basic as they get - one radio, one NAV.
It was adequate as a trainer, and even for renting (although I bought a
handheld GPS after I started renting more frequently). But they sold that
flight school and I don't think you can rent those planes anymore.

I think I'd be worried in a plane like that.

Take a look, then, at a photo of the panel of *my* airplane:

http://www.wanttaja.com/hhrad2.JPG

Be afraid. Be very afraid. :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old October 22nd 06, 04:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

Take a look, then, at a photo of the panel of *my* airplane:

http://www.wanttaja.com/hhrad2.JPG

Be afraid. Be very afraid. :-)

I can't help but notice that your "fun" meter is pegged, even while it is
sitting on the ground. You really need to get that thing worked on. It should
not move off the bottom peg at least until you start the engine, and not peg
until you get airborn.

You never know when you are going to get a ramp inspection, and have an
inspector ground you for having a necessary instrument being inoperative.

Please attend to this, at your earliest convenience. I will be alerting your
local FAA inspectors to the problem, for your safety, of course.

Sincerely;
Jim in NC

Old October 22nd 06, 05:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Kev

Morgans wrote:
Did you read the post from Dudley in today's postings? He hit the nail on the
head. In short, Dudley said the guy is one of the best trolls he has seen in a
long time. As usual, Dudley is right on.

I would say he's not. Having been a sysop on Compuserve back in the
80's, and on the net for decades, and having got into some decent
trolling and flamewars, I'd say that he's not a troll. But I would
say that those who get annoyed at him should seriously get a life
before they get angry and hit a kid, or kill someone in their plane,
when they lose their temper over the least little things.

See, I have a younger brother who's a nuclear engineer with a zillion
degrees. He has a dry sense of humor, takes little offense or even
recognition of other people at times, and will ask questions but keep
his opinion even when he's dead wrong. In short, his messages are very
similar to Mxsmanics. But he's an okay guy, really.

So I think he's just the way he is, and IMO people who post offensive
replies to him show us far more about their own limitations than his.
I'm sure they're nice people in person, but you really couldn't tell
from their harsh and really unfunny replies.

Regards, Kev

Old October 22nd 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Dave Stadt

"Judah" wrote in message
. ..
Mxsmanic wrote in
:

[...]

His Baron goes nowhere.

Old October 22nd 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Morgans[_2_]

"Kev" wrote

But I would
say that those who get annoyed at him should seriously get a life
before they get angry and hit a kid, or kill someone in their plane,
when they lose their temper over the least little things.

"I" would say you are way out of line, comparing somone who gets annoyed at
"him", to a person that loses their temper and hits a kid, or kills someone in
their plane, when they lose their temper over the least little thing.

WAY over the line, out of line.

See, I have a younger brother who's a nuclear engineer with a zillion
degrees. He has a dry sense of humor, takes little offense or even
recognition of other people at times, and will ask questions but keep
his opinion even when he's dead wrong.

I teach high school kids. Believe me when I tell you I come across people like
your brother all of the time. The difference is, they have a real interest in
the subject they are asking about. This guy does not.

This is a group about flying airplanes, not simulator games. Real airplanes. He
has repeatedly stated that he has no interest in flying a real plane, and does
not see why anyone would feel the need to fly a real airplane. His questions
belong in a simulator group, and could be answered by the people in that group
that are also real pilots, and have real knowlege about the things he wants to
know. His questions are only annoying in this group, since they have no place
here.

In short, his messages are very similar to Mxsmanics. But he's an okay guy,
really.

I'm glad. It is possible that this guy is a okay guy in person, also. I don't
know, because I have never met him.

Their is another big difference, between the comparison you make to your
brother, and the questions he asks, and you answer. At some point, you have
control over what you choose to answer, and when to ignore, or redirect the
questions. There is no such choice, here.

It is like a non smoker (you) sitting in a public place, having a conversation
with a friend, and he (a smoker) comes up, sits down, and lights up. The breeze
is blowing the smoke all over both of you. You have a very easy choice to make.
Get up and move if you don't like it. You continue your conversation, and he
gets up and moves, so he can join the conversation, and continues to let his
smoke blow all over both of you, again.

What do you do? Would you continue to move, and have him follow? He does have
the right to be ther and smoke, right?

I doubt that you would remain silent, nor would most people. Yet you say it is
not right to object to his questions, and interuptions, and outright domination
of the subjects.

If the people of a locality decide that this public place that he is smoking in,
is offending too many people, they can get an issue put on a ballot, and a vote
takes place removing the right of the smoker to light up in this place.

We are the non smokers. We can not make it a violation for him to post (light
up) here, so we have to put up with it. Does that make it right? No. All we
can do is ask (as a majority) that he take his questions (smoke) elsewhere. I
have to believe that you are in the minority, and if it were possibble to vote
on it, he would be asked to leave.

If you want to answer his questions, go over to the sim group, when he moves
over there to ask his questions. You have the option of going into the smoking
room with him, if you choose.

So I think he's just the way he is, and IMO people who post offensive
replies to him show us far more about their own limitations than his.
I'm sure they're nice people in person, but you really couldn't tell
from their harsh and really unfunny replies.

Some have been offensive, yes. That is the nature of usenet. I believe that
although I have been vocal, in most cases I have not been vulgar, or overly
offensive. Some have. So what? It says nothing abut them, other than the fact
that they are extremely frustrated and annoyed by the continued invasion, by a
troll. I've been in this group for somewhere around 7 years, and I have never
seen anything close to what this guy has been doing. Nothing even similar to
draw a comparison. It is no wonder that people are frustrated. I am pretty
laid back, and as you can probably tell, I'm frustrated.

Very frustrated.
--
Jim in NC