Carrying flight gear on the airlines

Old November 21st 04, 01:05 AM
Scott Skylane

Michelle P wrote:

Peter,
Ship it or pack in your checked luggage. Do not try to carry it on. You
will loose some of it at security. /snip/
Michelle

What a load of crap! I have travelled many times with my full flight
gear, and have never had a problem carrying it on. It's the checked
baggage that I don't trust! Every time I open my checked bag, and see
that little love letter from TSA, the first thing I do is check to see
whats missing.

Happy Flying!
Scott Skylane
Old November 21st 04, 02:48 AM
Capt.Doug

"Peter MacPherson" wrote in message Since I'll be bringing my flight
gear(headset, handheld radio, GPS, flight bag, etc..), is there anything
that I should avoid bringing so the TSA doesn't finish their Christmas
shopping with all my gear?

I pack my flight stuff in a carry-on bag for ferry flights. The couple of
times it's been questioned by TSA, I show my pilot certificate.

D.

Old November 21st 04, 04:43 AM
Dave Stadt

"Friedrich Ostertag" wrote in message
Hi Peter,

I'm helping a friend move his plane down to Florida for the winter
and will be flying back on the airlines. Since I'll be bringing my
flight gear(headset, handheld radio, GPS, flight bag, etc..), is
there anything that I should avoid bringing so the TSA doesn't

finish
their Christmas shopping with all my gear? I'd hate to be told,
"nope, you can't take this GPS, or this handheld radio".
"Hmmm...bubba sure gonna like these presents...". ; - )

Any help would be appreciated.

grow a mustache and tell them "I'm gonna need these later during the
flight..."

to add a serious comment: As long as you take out any batteries I can't
imagine any security risk. As to the risk of theft from checked luggage
I cannot comment. I never had anything stolen from checked-in luggage.
But even if - wouldn't that be insured up to a certain value?

The airlines pay next to nothing for lost luggage. An entire lost suitcase
is around $100.

regards,
Friedrich

--
for personal email please remove "entfernen" from my adress

Old November 21st 04, 07:37 AM
Gerald Sylvester

Ship it or pack in your checked luggage. Do not try to carry it on.
You will loose some of it at security. /snip/

I don't know of anything that a TSA would find potentially threatening.
What else is there othe than a kneeboard (ok, maybe the flat metal
part), charts and books, headset, timer, yoke mount, what else? If you
are unsure at all, just ship it back via UPS ground.

What a load of crap! I have travelled many times with my full flight
gear, and have never had a problem carrying it on. It's the checked
baggage that I don't trust! Every time I open my checked bag, and see
that little love letter from TSA, the first thing I do is check to see
whats missing.

I have checked literally many many hundreds of pieces of luggage when I
used to fly for work. Most flights I typically checked 2 to 3 pieces of
luggage. Multiply my UA FF details below from a few years of travel
and you will come out to maybe 700-900 pieces of luggage. One tool case
had 3 to 5 thousand dollars in equipment in it.
I had the toolcase delayed (got it the following morning before i woke
up) and a suitcaes delayed until the following afternoon (I always
carried at least a days worth of cloths on board so no problem there).
Other than that, no problems ever. I'm sure stuff does get swiped and I
don't feel comfortable when I do see that white slip in my bags but that
is todays world. Ship it if you don't feel comfortable.

Gerald Sylvester
PPL-ASEL

PS - when I was working on my private in 2002, my CFI asked me if I
thought a lot about flying when I wasn't flying. He meant flying with
him. I replied, "For the past 4 weeks, I flew you on Monday, flew
somewhere on Tuesday, flew back on Thursday and flew with you on Friday.
When the hell am I not flying?"

10-Jan-00 U* 1694 K Class SAN to SFO
13-Jan-00 U* 2057 Y Class SFO to LAX
13-Jan-00 UX 5263 Y Class LAX to SAN
18-Jan-00 U* 2016 K Class LAX to SFO
18-Jan-00 UX 5320 K Class CLD to LAX
19-Jan-00 U* 2011 K Class SFO to LAX
19-Jan-00 UX 7902 Y Class LAX to CLD
20-Jan-00 UX 5432 K Class CLD to LAX
20-Jan-00 UA 0012 K Class LAX to JFK
29-Jan-00 UX 7902 K Class LAX to CLD
29-Jan-00 UA 0001 K Class JFK to LAX
04-Feb-00 DL 0228 K Class SAN to ATL
06-Feb-00 DL 0850 Y Class ATL to CHS
08-Feb-00 DL 0391 F Class CHS to SAN
20-Feb-00 UA 0714 K Class SAN to ORD
24-Feb-00 UA 0255 K Class ORD to DEN
24-Feb-00 UA 1137 K Class DEN to SFO
25-Feb-00 UA 0144 C Class SFO to ORD
01-Mar-00 UA 0929 K Class ORD to SAN
13-Mar-00 U* 2852 K Class SAN to LAX
13-Mar-00 UA 0452 K Class LAX to MCO
17-Mar-00 UX 7902 K Class LAX to CLD
17-Mar-00 UA 0091 K Class MCO to LAX
06-Apr-00 UA 1782 K Class LAX to DFW
06-Apr-00 UX 5320 K Class CLD to LAX
21-Apr-00 UA 0359 K Class DFW to LAX
21-Apr-00 UX 7912 K Class LAX to CLD
25-Apr-00 UX 5432 K Class CLD to LAX
25-Apr-00 U* 0807 K Class LAX to SFO
26-Apr-00 UA 1458 K Class DEN to DFW
26-Apr-00 UA 0268 K Class SJC to DEN
27-Apr-00 UA 0511 K Class DFW to LAX
27-Apr-00 UX 7906 K Class LAX to CLD
02-May-00 U* 2504 K Class LAX to SMF
02-May-00 U* 2852 K Class SAN to LAX
02-May-00 U* 2871 Y Class SMF to SAN
09-May-00 UX 5432 K Class CLD to LAX
09-May-00 UA 0308 K Class LAX to DFW
11-May-00 UX 7988 K Class LAX to CLD
11-May-00 UA 1822 K Class DFW to LAX
23-May-00 UX 6955 K Class SEA to YKM
23-May-00 UA 1938 K Class LAX to SEA
23-May-00 UX 5345 K Class CLD to LAX
24-May-00 UA 0282 K Class SEA to ORD
24-May-00 UX 6954 K Class YKM to SEA
25-May-00 UA 1703 K Class ORD to SAN
30-May-00 U* 2051 K Class SFO to LAX
30-May-00 UX 7912 K Class LAX to CLD
06-Jun-00 UA 0308 K Class LAX to DFW
06-Jun-00 UX 5432 K Class CLD to LAX
08-Jun-00 UA 0281 K Class DEN to SAN
08-Jun-00 UA 1825 K Class DFW to DEN
13-Jun-00 UA 0442 K Class LAX to DFW
13-Jun-00 UX 5286 K Class CLD to LAX
15-Jun-00 UA 0499 K Class DFW to LAX
15-Jun-00 UX 7988 Y Class LAX to CLD
17-Jun-00 UA 1606 Y Class SAN to ORD
20-Jun-00 UA 1139 F Class ORD to SAN
24-Jun-00 UX 5272 K Class CLD to LAX
24-Jun-00 L# 0536 K Class LAX to FRA
25-Jun-00 LH 0166 K Class FRA to MUC
03-Jul-00 LH 0456 K Class FRA to LAX
03-Jul-00 LH 0763 K Class GVA to FRA
03-Jul-00 UX 7908 K Class LAX to CLD
07-Jul-00 UX 7914 K Class LAX to CLD
09-Jul-00 UA 0714 K Class SAN to ORD
14-Jul-00 UA 0255 K Class ORD to DEN
14-Jul-00 UA 1607 K Class DEN to SAN
17-Jul-00 UX 5322 K Class CLD to LAX
17-Jul-00 U* 2504 K Class LAX to SMF
17-Jul-00 UX 7993 K Class LAX to CLD
22-Jul-00 UX 5438 K Class CLD to LAX
22-Jul-00 UA 0952 K Class LAX to ORD
05-Aug-00 UA 1139 Y Class ORD to SAN
08-Aug-00 U* 0888 K Class LAX to SFO
08-Aug-00 UX 5286 K Class CLD to LAX
09-Aug-00 U* 1005 K Class SFO to LAX
09-Aug-00 UX 7993 K Class LAX to CLD
18-Aug-00 UA 0473 F Class ORD to SAN
24-Aug-00 UA 0848 K Class LAX to JFK
24-Aug-00 UX 5320 K Class CLD to LAX
30-Aug-00 UA 0699 K Class LGA to ORD
31-Aug-00 UA 0670 K Class ORD to LGA
10-Sep-00 UA 0019 K Class JFK to LAX
10-Sep-00 UX 5026 K Class LAX to CLD
21-Sep-00 UX 5023 K Class CLD to LAX
21-Sep-00 UA 1296 K Class LAX to MSY
28-Sep-00 UA 0914 K Class MSY to IAD
28-Sep-00 UA 1242 F Class IAD to LGA
02-Oct-00 UA 0367 F Class ORD to MSY
02-Oct-00 UA 0689 F Class LGA to ORD
04-Oct-00 UX 5036 K Class LAX to CLD
04-Oct-00 UA 1117 K Class MSY to LAX
10-Oct-00 U* 2018 K Class LAX to SFO
10-Oct-00 UX 5019 K Class CLD to LAX
11-Oct-00 U* 2049 K Class SFO to LAX
11-Oct-00 UX 5032 K Class LAX to CLD
27-Oct-00 UA 0916 K Class DTW to IAD
27-Oct-00 UA 1020 K Class IAD to LGA
30-Oct-00 UA 0915 K Class IAD to MSY
30-Oct-00 UA 1768 K Class LGA to IAD
02-Nov-00 UA 1574 F Class MSY to IAD
02-Nov-00 UA 1720 F Class IAD to LGA
06-Nov-00 UA 0695 K Class LGA to ORD
06-Nov-00 UA 0722 F Class ORD to DTW
10-Nov-00 U* 2653 K Class PHX to LAX
10-Nov-00 UX 5022 K Class LAX to CLD
13-Nov-00 U* 2134 F Class SAN to SFO
15-Nov-00 U* 2185 Y Class SFO to SAN
18-Nov-00 UA 0294 F Class ORD to DTW
18-Nov-00 UA 0928 F Class SAN to ORD
22-Nov-00 UA 1047 F Class ORD to SAN
22-Nov-00 UA 0253 F Class DTW to ORD
07-Dec-00 UX 5021 K Class CLD to LAX
07-Dec-00 UA 1482 F Class LAX to IAH
08-Dec-00 UA 0377 K Class IAH to LAX
08-Dec-00 UX 5036 K Class LAX to CLD
12-Dec-00 UA 0328 F Class DEN to DTW
12-Dec-00 UA 0412 F Class SAN to DEN
22-Dec-00 UA 0441 F Class DTW to ORD
22-Dec-00 UA 0657 F Class ORD to SAN
03-Jan-01 UA 1622 K Class OAK to DEN
03-Jan-01 UA 0284 K Class DEN to DTW
12-Jan-01 UA 0469 K Class DTW to DEN
12-Jan-01 UA 1643 F Class DEN to OAK
18-Jan-01 UA 0962 K Class IAD to MUC
18-Jan-01 UA 0946 K Class SFO to IAD
05-Feb-01 UA 0963 K Class MUC to IAD
05-Feb-01 UA 0947 K Class IAD to SFO
08-Feb-01 UA 0140 K Class SFO to ORD
08-Feb-01 UA 0336 F Class ORD to DTW
13-Feb-01 UA 0441 F Class DTW to ORD
13-Feb-01 UA 0139 F Class ORD to SFO
04-Mar-01 U* 2045 F Class SFO to LAX
04-Mar-01 UX 5028 K Class LAX to CLD
08-Mar-01 UA 0372 K Class SFO to MSY
14-Mar-01 UA 1233 F Class MSY to SFO
18-Mar-01 UX 5032 Y Class LAX to CLD
18-Mar-01 U* 2045 F Class SFO to LAX
26-Mar-01 U* 2173 F Class SFO to SAN
28-Mar-01 U* 2270 F Class SAN to SFO
01-Apr-01 U* 2041 K Class SFO to LAX
01-Apr-01 UA 1002 K Class LAX to MSY
03-Apr-01 UA 1117 K Class MSY to LAX
03-Apr-01 U* 1008 F Class LAX to SFO
19-Apr-01 U* 2155 K Class SFO to SAN
19-Apr-01 U* 2176 F Class SAN to SFO
24-Apr-01 U* 2167 K Class SFO to SAN
25-Apr-01 U* 2172 F Class SAN to SFO
02-May-01 UA 0222 F Class SFO to BWI
10-May-01 UA 0223 F Class BWI to SFO
16-May-01 UA 0336 K Class ORD to DTW
16-May-01 UA 0144 C Class SFO to ORD
22-May-01 UA 0277 C Class DEN to SFO
22-May-01 UA 1791 F Class DTW to DEN
24-May-01 DL 0218 K Class SFO to SLC
27-May-01 DL 0435 K Class SLC to SFO
04-Jun-01 U* 2017 F Class SFO to LAX
04-Jun-01 UA 0220 F Class LAX to BWI
08-Jun-01 UA 0295 F Class BWI to LAX
08-Jun-01 U* 2078 F Class LAX to SFO
11-Jun-01 UA 0806 K Class SFO to IAD
19-Jun-01 UA 0005 C Class JFK to SFO
24-Jun-01 UA 0296 F Class SFO to BWI
30-Jun-01 UA 1891 F Class BWI to ORD
30-Jun-01 UA 0421 F Class ORD to SAN
30-Jun-01 U* 2120 F Class SAN to SFO
24-Jul-01 U* 2153 F Class SFO to SAN
14-Aug-01 UA 1240 F Class SFO to DEN
14-Aug-01 UA 0572 F Class DEN to MSP
16-Aug-01 UA 0549 Y Class DEN to SFO
16-Aug-01 UA 1189 Y Class MSP to DEN
22-Sep-01 UA 0946 C Class SFO to IAD
22-Sep-01 UA 0946 C Class IAD to AMS
02-Oct-01 UA 0963 C Class MUC to IAD
02-Oct-01 UA 0971 C Class IAD to SFO
04-Oct-01 UA 1270 F Class DEN to MCO
04-Oct-01 UA 1756 K Class SJC to DEN
05-Oct-01 UA 0277 F Class MCO to LAX
05-Oct-01 U* 2634 F Class LAX to SJC
11-Oct-01 U* 2157 K Class SFO to SAN
11-Oct-01 U* 2264 K Class SAN to SFO
25-Oct-01 U* 2254 Y Class SFO to PDX
25-Oct-01 U* 2277 K Class PDX to SFO
26-Oct-01 U* 2080 K Class LAX to SFO
26-Oct-01 U* 2027 K Class SFO to LAX
29-Oct-01 U* 2225 K Class SFO to BUR
30-Oct-01 U* 2218 K Class BUR to SFO
31-Oct-01 UA 0574 K Class SFO to PDX
02-Nov-01 UA 1817 K Class PDX to SFO
12-Nov-01 UA 1046 K Class SFO to YVR
15-Nov-01 UA 1828 K Class SFO to PDX
15-Nov-01 UA 1047 Y Class YVR to SFO
17-Nov-01 UA 0852 Y Class SFO to JFK
24-Nov-01 UA 0863 Y Class JFK to SFO
26-Nov-01 UA 0952 Y Class ORD to DUS
26-Nov-01 UA 0144 Y Class SFO to ORD
03-Dec-01 SK 0593 K Class CPH to BRU
06-Dec-01 UA 0947 Y Class IAD to SFO
06-Dec-01 UA 0951 Y Class BRU to IAD
10-Dec-01 UA 0524 K Class SFO to PDX
17-Dec-01 UA 1857 K Class PDX to SFO
17-Dec-01 ALAMO PARTNER BONUS
08-Jan-02 UA 1494 Y Class OAK to ORD
08-Jan-02 UA 0677 K Class ORD to MSY
13-Jan-02 UA 1643 Y Class DEN to OAK
13-Jan-02 UA 1567 Y Class MSY to DEN
21-Jan-02 UA 1404 K Class SFO to PDX
23-Jan-02 UA 0294 Y Class PDX to SFO
24-Jan-02 UA 0541 K Class SFO to BUR
25-Jan-02 UA 1814 K Class BUR to SFO
27-Jan-02 UA 0276 Y Class SFO to MCO
05-Feb-02 UA 0863 K Class JFK to SFO
06-Feb-02 UA 1733 K Class SFO to LAX
07-Feb-02 UA 0302 K Class LAX to SFO
14-Feb-02 UA 0298 Y Class SFO to LAX
16-Feb-02 UA 1842 Y Class LAX to SFO
26-Feb-02 UA 0303 Y Class SFO to SAN
27-Feb-02 UA 0352 Y Class SAN to SFO
13-Mar-02 UA 0580 K Class SFO to PDX
14-Mar-02 UA 1831 K Class PDX to SFO
19-Mar-02 UA 1912 K Class SFO to SLC
20-Mar-02 UA 0751 Y Class SLC to SFO
03-Apr-02 UA 1048 Y Class SFO to YVR
07-Apr-02 AC 3309 K Class YVR to SFO
29-Apr-02 UA 0188 K Class SFO to IAD
29-Apr-02 UA 0962 K Class IAD to MUC
18-Jun-02 LH 0766 Y Class MUC to MRS
21-Jun-02 LH 0733 Y Class MRS to MUC
30-Aug-02 LH 0492 Y Class MUC to AMS
02-Sep-02 LH 0909 Y Class AMS to MUC
07-Sep-02 UA 0905 C Class LHR to JFK
07-Sep-02 LH 0660 K Class MUC to LON
12-Sep-02 UA 0009 C Class JFK to SFO
17-Sep-02 UA 0188 C Class SFO to IAD
17-Sep-02 UA 0962 C Class IAD to MUC
12-Oct-02 LH 0908 K Class MUC to AMS
18-Oct-02 LH 0879 K Class AMS to MUC
14-Dec-02 LH 0912 K Class MUC to AMS
18-Dec-02 LH 0909 K Class AMS to MUC
24-Dec-02 UA 0963 C Class MUC to IAD
24-Dec-02 UX 7571 K Class IAD to JFK
08-Jan-03 UX 7807 K Class JFK to IAD
08-Jan-03 UA 0962 C Class IAD to MUC
02-Mar-03 UA 0233 F Class IAD to PHX
02-Mar-03 UA 0963 K Class MUC to IAD
09-Mar-03 UA 0234 F Class PHX to IAD
09-Mar-03 UA 0978 K Class IAD to FRA
10-Mar-03 LH 0100 K Class FRA to MUC
13-Mar-03 LH 0592 Y Class MUC to FCO
16-Mar-03 LH 0941 Y Class FCO to MUC
27-Jun-03 LH 5858 K Class MUC to BCN
30-Jun-03 LH 4335 K Class BCN to MUC
11-Jul-03 LH 5569 K Class FCO to MUC
05-Aug-03 UA 1437 F Class SFO to SAN
07-Oct-03 L# 0424 K Class MUC to BOS
07-Oct-03 UA 0179 F Class BOS to SFO
11-Oct-03 UA 0152 C Class SFO to ORD
11-Oct-03 UX 5776 K Class ORD to MSN
13-Oct-03 UX 5774 K Class MSN to ORD
13-Oct-03 UA 0165 K Class ORD to SFO

Old November 21st 04, 04:52 PM
aluckyguess

We flew out of Ontario Ca. and had no problem. The flight was changed so
they did a full search and when they found my Garmin 296 the girl didnt know
what it was so the supervisor had to approve it. I hooked it up for the
fight from Salt Lake to South Dakota and we hit 657 mph.
All in all it wasnt bad. I think they see a lot of pilots and there gear.
news

Old November 21st 04, 05:44 PM
Don Hammer

Do it all the time with no problems. Once carried a parachute aboard.
It went through the x-ray with no questions asked!

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 22nd 04, 01:27 AM
Dave Russell

"Peter MacPherson" wrote in message news:DeAnd.55139$V41.15028@attbi_s52...

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete,

My vote goes with carry-on. I've done it several times without
serious hassle from TSA.

Unless you're hauling an emergency 'chute, that is. I used to carry
mine on the plane, but no more. (The jokes one could play with people
were *great*. "What, you didn't pick yours up in the jetway?" "I'm a
pilot... do you really think I'd fly on one of these things without
it?" "The guys up front were wearing one, so I am to!")

-Dave Russell
8KCAB / N2S-3
Old November 22nd 04, 04:36 PM
m pautz

Peter MacPherson wrote:
I'm helping a friend move his plane down to Florida for the winter
and will be flying back on the airlines. Since I'll be bringing my flight
gear(headset, handheld radio, GPS, flight bag, etc..), is there anything
that I should avoid bringing so the TSA doesn't finish their Christmas
shopping with all my gear? I'd hate to be told, "nope, you can't take this
GPS, or this handheld radio". "Hmmm...bubba sure gonna like these
presents...". ; - )

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

Security people are people who couln't get a job flipping burgers.
Their thinking ability is limited to reacting to the last terrorist
event. After it was discovered that plastic explosives in a transistor
radio caused the downing of Pan Am 103 in Lockerby, they made passengers
turn on electronic devices. After box cutters were used on 911, they
took away nail clippers. After that bozzo tried lighting his shoes,
they examined shoes.

I once needed to take a battery powered drill with me. I took the
batteries out and put them in my brief case. When the security agent
looked at my drill case, I told him, "I want you to know that I am
taking a drill with me, but the batteries are not in the case, so the
drill in inoperative." They let me through.

Just don't take nail clippers with you.

Old November 23rd 04, 02:15 AM
Gerald Sylvester

I once needed to take a battery powered drill with me. I took the
batteries out and put them in my brief case. When the security agent
looked at my drill case, I told him, "I want you to know that I am
taking a drill with me, but the batteries are not in the case, so the
drill in inoperative." They let me through.

was this after 9/11 or before? Back in early 2000, I brought a rotary
hammer (NOT cordless) with me from the bay area to MCO. No problem
going there. Coming home they made me check it even though I couldn't
possibly plug it in on the plane. It is typical now that security makes
up policies on the fly. I realize they can't cover everything but there
should be some consistancy.

Around november 2001, just after 9/11, I flew from SFO to LAS. Going
through security the woman said I had a pair of pliers. myself and
the guard looked and couldn't find anything. Scan the bag again,
look, can't find anything. Scan it again, look some more and the
guard found a 5.5 millimeter wrench that was about 6cm long. Security
wasn't sure if I can bring it on board so they handed it to a National
Guardsman holding an m16 who said "I don't think this paper clip sized
wrench can do much harm." All of us laughed. I'm actually
glad they found it as I needed it and made the job in LA much easier. grin

Gerald
Old November 24th 04, 04:37 PM
Peter MacPherson

Thanks for all of the responses. It is much appreciated.

newseAnd.55139$V41.15028@attbi_s52...