First Solo and Total Hours Flown

Old November 30th 06, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

Default First Solo and Total Hours Flown

Greengears wrote:

Every pilot out there will never forget their first Solo. But there has
always been this nagging questions as to should there be a minimum
amount of hours flown before a pilot can be allowed to Solo. I have
seen pilots solo in as little as 9 hours and as high as 75 hours.
I know most of you will say that it should vary from pilot to pilot.
But should there be a minimum amount of hours flown?

It should be left to the discretion of the instructor,
I soloed under 5 hours and know of others who were sent off at 3
hours...
If any-one takes more than 20 hours to solo they should take another
look at becoming a pilot.. IMHO

Old November 30th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Are you saying that someone who took 75 hours to solo must have had
some serious problems, and therefore should not be allowed to solo?

A student that takes 75 hours to solo certainly does have very serious
problems -- probably with his CFI.

Anyone who sticks with training that long without soloing deserves a
medal, as well as a psychiatric evaluation...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 30th 06, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

But should there be a minimum amount of hours flown?

Why would you put a minimum number of hours on it?

The CFI has his reputation and certificate on the line whenever he
solos a student -- this, alone, is a sufficient consequence to assure
that no one is soloed too soon, IMHO.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old November 30th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Cody Dawg

No more than 20 hours to solo??? That's a little rough. I currently have
26.5 (yes, and I'm proud of that .5!) hours and although my CFI says I'm
ready to solo after a couple more lessons, I'm in no rush. The weather in
the northeast is getting problematic so a lot of cancelled lessons and on
those days I do fly, no 2 days are ever the same weather-wise. Not even
close! As everyone except you has agreed, we solo when the CFI and I agree
regardless of the hours.

If I lived in Phoenix, I would have soloed by now has the weather is always
good, especially for flying. Makes it a lot easier to learn to fly.

"george" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old November 30th 06, 09:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

"Cody Dawg" wrote in message
No more than 20 hours to solo??? That's a little rough. I currently have
26.5 (yes, and I'm proud of that .5!) hours and although my CFI says I'm
ready to solo after a couple more lessons, I'm in no rush. The weather in
the northeast is getting problematic so a lot of cancelled lessons and on
those days I do fly, no 2 days are ever the same weather-wise. Not even
close! As everyone except you has agreed, we solo when the CFI and I
agree regardless of the hours.

I think zero should be the absolute minimum (like the Wright Brothers).

Cody, where do you fly?

If I lived in Phoenix, I would have soloed by now has the weather is
always good, especially for flying. Makes it a lot easier to learn to
fly.

"george" wrote in message
oups.com...

Old November 30th 06, 09:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Are you saying that someone who took 75 hours to solo must have had
some serious problems, and therefore should not be allowed to solo?

A student that takes 75 hours to solo certainly does have very serious
problems -- probably with his CFI.
Anyone who sticks with training that long without soloing deserves a
medal, as well as a psychiatric evaluation...

One of my instructors told me about people who will probably _never_
solo, but keep on flying regardless of that.

Bartek

Old November 30th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Greengears" wrote in message
ups.com...
Every pilot out there will never forget their first Solo. But there has
always been this nagging questions as to should there be a minimum
amount of hours flown before a pilot can be allowed to Solo. I have
seen pilots solo in as little as 9 hours and as high as 75 hours.
I know most of you will say that it should vary from pilot to pilot.
But should there be a minimum amount of hours flown?

Why? What is the problem you are trying to solve with this "rule"? Is it a
real problem or a hypothetical problem?

FWIW: I soloed with 1.5 hours logged.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old November 30th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
karl gruber[_1_]

"Andrew Sarangan" wrote in message
ups.com...
birdog wrote:

While this is a rediculuous question, it fits right in with our current
political environment, in that the federal gov't. should dictate the
number
of hours it SHALL take us to be competent to solo. I've known licensed
pilots with 300 hours that I wouldn't fly with, and others who have
solo'd
in 6 hours. 75 hours to solo? Why was he EVER allowed to solo?

Are you saying that someone who took 75 hours to solo must have had
some serious problems, and therefore should not be allowed to solo?

Yes. Very serious problems. I know here on RAP it is popular to encourage
high time pre soloers to continue. But I think they are simply not cut out
for aviation.

I KNOW that during the GI bill time that lasted until 1978, we instructors
had to regularly advise all sorts of perspective commercial pilots to think
about buying a boat instead.

Not everyone is cut out to be a pilot.

Karl
"Curator" N185KG

Old November 30th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

birdog wrote:

[...]

Let's keep in mind there are two types of high time non-soloed students.