Aircraft Spruce Rant

Old November 7th 06, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Doug Palmer

Default Aircraft Spruce Rant

I have now been working on my project almost ten years and generally
Aircraft Spruce and Specialty has been the benefactor. Their website now
states that orders placed before 3:00 PM will ship the same day. This is
bull****. I ordered two gallons of UV smooth prime on Saturday and for some
reason they have not managed to put two gallons of paint into a box and get
it out and it is tuesday. I called them to ask when it would ship, and I
get attitude and an exasperated it should go out today sir.

Dealing with the spruce crowd has been a roller coaster ride. At times they
shine, then they will simply act like a third rate mail order house. Most
companies after you have spent 40-60K with them would give you some sort of
customer service and recognition as a return customer, not these guys, hell,
they seem to go out of the way to tick you off.

I'll be done soon, and not dealing with Spruce will be nice. I already went
with Gulf Coast Avionics for my radios as they had good phone support and
good prices - I highly reccommend. I bought my Wheels and several other
larger cost items through Wicks, again better prices. And I must say, I
enjoy calling the folks at Wicks for stuff. Their people are friendly and
there is a family feel on the phone. Unfortunately being a northern
California builder I often go with Spruce because once they fill the order
it only takes two days to get here UPS ground.

I guess the point of ths rant is to encourage builders to go with some of
the other good guys. The folks that have treated me right include Wicks,
B&C Specialty, Gulf Coast Avionics, RST, SKyGeek, Vans, Airparts Inc,
Mezimer (MAC), Grove Aircraft, Aero Parts and Supply, Sacramento Sky Ranch.
I'm sure there are others but I just cannot think of them now.

BTW the project is halfway through being painted, some photos can be seen at
http://www.whitealbatross.com/Webplane/index.htm

Thanks for listening!

Doug

Old November 7th 06, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Doug Palmer" wrote

BTW the project is halfway through being painted, some photos can be seen at
http://www.whitealbatross.com/Webplane/index.htm

Nice project. Interesting, but I don't see many of those being built, do you?

I would love to have an amphibian, too.

Oh, one thing, though....

It won't fly like that. An interesting boat, perhaps! g
--
Jim in NC
Old November 7th 06, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anthony W

"Doug Palmer" wrote
BTW the project is halfway through being painted, some photos can be
seen at http://www.whitealbatross.com/Webplane/index.htm

What engine do you have in it? I can't make it out from the pix. It's
definitely cool, how long before you have the wings on and get it flying?

Tony
Old November 8th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
DonMorrisey

Hi Doug.

That's an amazingly interesting airplane and it looks like you have
done one hell of a job. I only hope mine (BushCaddy R-120) comes out
half as nice.

I agree you with you on the folks at Wicks, I have had great luck with
them. Unfortunately they don't have the selection or inventory that
Spruce has but they're adding more all the time. They had a great
special at Oshkosh this year. 10% off just about anything they had in
the catalogue and free shipping. I placed a huge order and saved the
cost of my trip.

Good luck on wrapping up the project.

Don...

Old November 8th 06, 06:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
wright1902glider

Ever pick up a will-call order at Wick's? The pipe organ factory is on
the east side of the road. Aircraft stuff is on the west. Aunt
Imogene's house is up and over two blocks. Grandma's house is down 2
and over 2 at 8th & Pestozzoli... wave if you go by. Stop in at Buzzy's
Diner for breakfast. And if you meet any Freys, they're related to me
somehow.

My Mom and sister are planning to move back to IL in the next year or
so. If that happens, I may start making a run from Denver to Highland
once or twice a year with my truck. Might be able to help a few fellas
out.

Harry "yep, we're from there" Frey

Old November 8th 06, 02:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Jerry Springer

Doug Palmer wrote:
I have now been working on my project almost ten years and generally
Aircraft Spruce and Specialty has been the benefactor. Their website now
states that orders placed before 3:00 PM will ship the same day. This is
bull****. I ordered two gallons of UV smooth prime on Saturday and for some
reason they have not managed to put two gallons of paint into a box and get
it out and it is tuesday. I called them to ask when it would ship, and I
get attitude and an exasperated it should go out today sir.

Thanks for listening!

Doug

YOU WILL be hearing from Jim Irwin now. :-) He sent me personal email
when I complained. They have rude customer service, but as others have
said they have great inventory.
Old November 8th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

I have now been working on my project almost ten years and generally
Aircraft Spruce and Specialty has been the benefactor. Their website now
states that orders placed before 3:00 PM will ship the same day. This is
bull****. I ordered two gallons of UV smooth prime on Saturday and for

some
reason they have not managed to put two gallons of paint into a box and

get
it out and it is tuesday. I called them to ask when it would ship, and I
get attitude and an exasperated it should go out today sir.

You do know about the smooth prime horror stories, I hope?

The OP may know, but I don't and may not be alone. So please enlighten me
as I still plan to build a plastic composite aircraft.

Peter

Old November 8th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Doug Palmer

Thanks for all the compliments folks. Sounds like others have enjoyed the
wicks experience. My point wasn't necessarily to stay away from Spruce,
they do have a huge inventory, but to give the smaller guys a chance because
they seem to try harder.

The plane is a Spencer Amphibian. The flying surfaces are getting painted
now, I am hoping to have it airborne in the spring. Engine is a Continental
Tiara 6-285-C2, Prop is a 84" 3 Bladed MT reversible.

No I have not heard the UV smooth Prime nightmares, Clue me in. Most people
I know using it love the stuff. I did notice that Polyfiber changed their
recommendations for dry time from 24 hours to 3 weeks which did pique my
curiosity.

Thanks, Doug

ink.net...

Old November 8th 06, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"wright1902glider" wrote in message
ups.com...
Ever pick up a will-call order at Wick's? The pipe organ factory is on
the east side of the road. Aircraft stuff is on the west. Aunt
Imogene's house is up and over two blocks. Grandma's house is down 2
and over 2 at 8th & Pestozzoli... wave if you go by. Stop in at Buzzy's
Diner for breakfast. And if you meet any Freys, they're related to me
somehow.

My Mom and sister are planning to move back to IL in the next year or
so. If that happens, I may start making a run from Denver to Highland
once or twice a year with my truck. Might be able to help a few fellas
out.

Harry "yep, we're from there" Frey

Yeah, you could put a whole bunch of spruce in that new trailer you are going to
build. Charge some people half the shipping price, and pay for the trailer!

One thing, though. Make sure you have the roll-over problem licked, first.

You wouldn't want to end up with a couple thousand dollars worth of toothpicks!
Jim in NC

Old November 9th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard Riley[_1_]

Peter Dohm wrote:
I have now been working on my project almost ten years and generally
Aircraft Spruce and Specialty has been the benefactor. Their website now
states that orders placed before 3:00 PM will ship the same day. This is
bull****. I ordered two gallons of UV smooth prime on Saturday and for

some
reason they have not managed to put two gallons of paint into a box and

get
it out and it is tuesday. I called them to ask when it would ship, and I
get attitude and an exasperated it should go out today sir.

You do know about the smooth prime horror stories, I hope?

The OP may know, but I don't and may not be alone. So please enlighten me
as I still plan to build a plastic composite aircraft.

Peter

Some percentage of planes with smooth prime under other brands of top
coat develop bubbles of brown goo after a few years. The original,
"matched" top coat - "Top Gloss" was removed from the market, it
stained, chalked and flaked off quickly

Read a couple of archives - here
http://www.maddyhome.com/cozysrch/search
and enter smooth prime wihtout quotes,