Winchester?

Old October 22nd 04, 04:51 PM
Elmshoot

Default Winchester?

When did the turm "Winchester" come into being to mean that you were out of
ammo.
I was trying to explain the term to my daughter and got to thinking that maybe
it has a long history. During my time from 76-94 it was used by the attack guys
as well to signify they were out of all ordnance.
Sparky
Old October 25th 04, 09:24 PM
Bill Kambic

"Harry Andreas" wrote in message

:-D
Good guess, but the cavalry were using Trap Door Springfield carbines
and the cartridges came from government arsenals, not private purchase.
I don't think Winchester were able to chamber the .45-70 in a repeater
until well after Little Big Horn.

Ayup.

/purest, unqualified, speculation possible

[Second thought. Latest historic research suggest that the
Indians had both more and better {i.e., more recent, and
repeaters to boot} rifles than the 7thCav with their CW-era
breechloaders. Mebbe it was the Indians that were running out of
Winchester ammo.]

Indians were armed with Winchesters in .44-40 and .44 Henry.
More rapid firing, but also more limited range. Circumstances seem to

indicate
that the troopers were simply overwhelmed by numbers.
But everyone knew that already.

Surprisingly few do. The myth of "better armed Indians" is alive and well
in spite of the fact that only Custer was overun. Benteen and Reno were
able to hold off their attackers until help arrived.

Still, the Henry was known as "that damn Yankee gun you load on Sunday and
shoot all week" 'cause of its impressive (for the day) 17 round capacity.
The Model '73 (as seen in "Winchester '73") had the same capacity. It was
sold in a military version to at least Turkey and Russia. So maybe there
could be a connection somewhere in the dark reaches of history. ;-)

Bill Kambic

Old October 27th 04, 02:06 PM
Pechs1

Greasy- Some say that Custer died wearing an Arrow shirt... BRBR

Sporting a new haircut....
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old October 29th 04, 02:01 AM
WaltBJ

"SNIP:
Indians were armed with Winchesters in .44-40 and .44 Henry.
More rapid firing, but also more limited range. Circumstances seem to

indicate
that the troopers were simply overwhelmed by numbers.
But everyone knew that already.
Surprisingly few do. The myth of "better armed Indians" is alive and well

in spite of the fact that only Custer was overun. Benteen and Reno were
able to hold off their attackers until help arrived.
Still, the Henry was known as "that damn Yankee gun you load on Sunday and

shoot all week" 'cause of its impressive (for the day) 17 round capacity.
The Model '73 (as seen in "Winchester '73") had the same capacity. It was
sold in a military version to at least Turkey and Russia. So maybe there
could be a connection somewhere in the dark reaches of history. ;-)
Bill Kambic

Get down to your local library and check out "Son of the Morning
Star". Pretty good portrayal of 'Custer's Last Stand'. I've been to
the site - not a good place for a stand-off; really exposed.
Walt BJ
Old October 29th 04, 02:18 AM
Bill Kambic

"WaltBJ" wrote in message

Get down to your local library and check out "Son of the Morning
Star". Pretty good portrayal of 'Custer's Last Stand'.

I have a vague recollection of having seen this. Will see it again, though!
:-)

I've been to
the site - not a good place for a stand-off; really exposed.

I visited there back in college. Spooky to imagine standing there seeing
nothing but ****ed off Indians.

There's a guy I met who runs trail rides through that area. One of them
traces Custer's path for a few days. Might do that next fall!

Bill Kambic