Welding question 2

Old June 8th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Welding question 2

I am struggling to master a simple 115V wire feed welder. I need to repair
a glider trailer. Now, I'm pretty damn good with oxy-acetylene and TIG but
this wire feed thing has me stumped. The rig I borrowed doesn't have an
argon bottle for true MIG welding so I'm using flux core wire.

Of course I RTFM and practised on some scrap until I could run a modest
bead. The big problem is upside-down welding on the bottom of the trailer.
Aside from the need to lie in a shower of hot metal, the results are really
ugly. Any tips?

bildan

Old June 8th 06, 10:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message
. ..
I am struggling to master a simple 115V wire feed welder. I need to repair
a glider trailer. Now, I'm pretty damn good with oxy-acetylene and TIG but
this wire feed thing has me stumped. The rig I borrowed doesn't have an
argon bottle for true MIG welding so I'm using flux core wire.

Of course I RTFM and practised on some scrap until I could run a modest
bead. The big problem is upside-down welding on the bottom of the
trailer. Aside from the need to lie in a shower of hot metal, the results
are really ugly. Any tips?

The real trick with a wire welder, is figuring out the exact power setting,
and the feed speed to make it work right.

Have you worked with (practiced on) some small squares of the same thickness
you are going to be welding? On lots of welds, you think you have a
fantastic, pretty weld, then you test the strength, and it breaks right
apart. No penetration.

Weld two 3" x 3" squares together (butt weld), then put them in a vise and
grab a pipe wrench and bend the squares to see if you can break the weld
apart. If it breaks next to the weld, and not at the weld, you have the
penetration right. Good. Now to get it to work upside down, or any way.

The key to the weld is the power, and the wire feed speed, right?

You set the feed speed by the sound it makes. Really! You need to get a
consistent sizzle, like frying onions in butter. If it is a pop pop pop,
then slow the wire down. If the sizzle is too slow, or it stops and starts,
speed it up.

If you get the penetration and the speed right, welding upside down is
easier on a wire welder, than with any other type of welding, IMHO. Of
course, you want to position yourself a little off to the side, so you are
not "directly" below the weld, getting a sparkler bath. g

I apologize if some of this description is too elementary for you, but
perhaps someone can learn from it. There is a possibility that the welder
you used was a worthless piece of crap. Some of the lower line ones are.
The fact that it did not have a way to use gas, suggests that it is possible
that it was a lower line model.

Good luck!
--
Jim in NC

Old June 9th 06, 12:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote in message
. ..
I am struggling to master a simple 115V wire feed welder. I need to

repair
a glider trailer. Now, I'm pretty damn good with oxy-acetylene and TIG

but
this wire feed thing has me stumped. The rig I borrowed doesn't have an
argon bottle for true MIG welding so I'm using flux core wire.

Of course I RTFM and practised on some scrap until I could run a modest
bead. The big problem is upside-down welding on the bottom of the

trailer.
Aside from the need to lie in a shower of hot metal, the results are

really
ugly. Any tips?

bildan

Jim covered the welder setup. I suggest for the 'welding overhead' problem
that you position yourself slightly off to the side (reaching over to the
weld) so the sparks fall next to you onto the floor/ground. Sometimes an
extra spotlight shining onto the weld will help offset the overhead glare,
or 'backlight' distraction. Laying on a creeper may also let the sparks roll
around under you without burning holes in yer shorts.

Old June 9th 06, 02:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Morgans" wrote in message
news

[...]

That 'pop/sizzle' wirefeed/power bit is good advice. I kinda figgered that
out on my own and the results improved. The welder does have the option of
gas but I didn't borrow the regulator since the owner didn't have a gas
bottle or any solid wire. Would I be better off to change to gas/solid
wire?

Getting out of the sparkler shower is kinda automatic once I got burned a
coupla times. Wearing a welders leather getup helps.

Turning the trailer over is a non starter. The trailer is probably 1500
pounds and 35 feet long with a fiberglass camshell top.

Bill Daniels

Old June 9th 06, 04:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote

That 'pop/sizzle' wirefeed/power bit is good advice. I kinda figgered
that out on my own and the results improved. The welder does have the
option of gas but I didn't borrow the regulator since the owner didn't
have a gas bottle or any solid wire. Would I be better off to change to
gas/solid wire?

Yep, the bottle would get you better results, both pretty wise, and easy
wise. It depends how much more you have to do, on this job. Not much to
do, forget it. If you have a lot to do, it might be worth getting it.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 9th 06, 05:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Bill Daniels wrote:
I am struggling to master a simple 115V wire feed welder. I need to
repair snip
Aside from the need to lie in a shower of hot metal, the results are
really ugly. Any tips?

bildan

"John Ammeter" wrote in message
news:SeSdnQ7vBbIFIRXZnZ2dnUVZ_oKdnZ2d@cablespeedwa .com...
turn the trailer over...

John

second best answer I've heard of.

first best? ditch the 115V welder and beg or borrow a 230v welder 115v
fluxcores are considered one of the weakest sisters for welding over on
sci.engr.joining.welding

had that answer when I got a free 115v arc welder. I asked if maybe a
fluxcore would be better.

Old June 9th 06, 05:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Hey Bill.
If this is one of the cobra trailers with the rubber suspended
axle coming up thru the floor...... I'd stop and have a fab shop
add some stiffeners to the structure and have somebody do it
with the right tools. I'd HATE to have the trailer fail and break an
expensive plastic toy inside. YMMV

--
Have a great day

Scott

Old June 9th 06, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Morgans wrote:
"Bill Daniels" bildan@comcast-dot-net wrote

That 'pop/sizzle' wirefeed/power bit is good advice. I kinda figgered
that out on my own and the results improved. The welder does have the
option of gas but I didn't borrow the regulator since the owner didn't
have a gas bottle or any solid wire. Would I be better off to change to
gas/solid wire?

Yep, the bottle would get you better results, both pretty wise, and easy
wise. It depends how much more you have to do, on this job. Not much to
do, forget it. If you have a lot to do, it might be worth getting it.

But outdoors, the gas will blow away without shielding the weld.
Flux core wire for outside work...
Old June 9th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Tater Schuld wrote:

Bill Daniels wrote:

I am struggling to master a simple 115V wire feed welder. I need to
repair snip
Aside from the need to lie in a shower of hot metal, the results are
really ugly. Any tips?

bildan

"John Ammeter" wrote in message
news:SeSdnQ7vBbIFIRXZnZ2dnUVZ_oKdnZ2d@cablespeedwa .com...

turn the trailer over...

John

second best answer I've heard of.

first best? ditch the 115V welder and beg or borrow a 230v welder 115v
fluxcores are considered one of the weakest sisters for welding over on
sci.engr.joining.welding

had that answer when I got a free 115v arc welder. I asked if maybe a
fluxcore would be better.

Another thought on this question...

Make sure the welder is getting good 'trons.

Short 10 gauge extension cord.