IFR Avionics Preflight Checklists

Old January 3rd 04, 03:48 PM
EDR

In article , Marco Leon wrote:

I agree that many--if not most--of the IFR avionics are not necessary for
VFR. I got that. Do you not check any of the non-essential avionics before a
VFR flight?

I usually fly a 1945 Aeronca Champ. The only instruments I have are
airspeed, tach, altimeter, compass, oil temperature, oil pressure and
fuel indicator. If I have a radio, it is a handheld comm and gps. The
airplane has no electrical system nor starter. Because of battery life
in the handhelds, they may be used for takeoff and/or landing and
turned off for enroute. Depending on the terrain, a sectional will give
me more information than the gps. GPS is good for distance, but at the
altitudes I fly at, I usually have to fly around terrain.

Maybe it's because I own the aircraft I fly and I would like to know what is
and what is not working. I am also based at an airport under New York Mode C
Veil. However, even on a rental I would want to know if anything is inop.
Wouldn't you?

Depends on what I am renting, terrain I will be flying over and
forecast weather. As long as the fan out front keeps turning, I stay
cool. It all depends on what type flying you are doing as to what
equipment you need operational.
Old January 5th 04, 05:46 PM
Andrew Gideon

"Marco Leon" mleon(at)optonline.net wrote:

I agree that many--if not most--of the IFR avionics are not necessary for
VFR. I got that. Do you not check any of the non-essential avionics before
a VFR flight?

Maybe it's because I own the aircraft I fly and I would like to know what
is and what is not working. I am also based at an airport under New York
Mode C Veil. However, even on a rental I would want to know if anything is
inop. Wouldn't you?

I was thinking something similar as I read this thread. I check, for
example, all the lights even if I've no plans to be flying at night. It
permits me to avoid cancellation of a night flight if I can replace a dead
bulb ahead of time. The same applies to avionics: I'd rather know about
the failure with sufficient lead time that it can be fixed before I've a
flight that requires it.

Also, it makes no sense to have tools that might or might not be working.
Even if the tool isn't expected to be required, it makes sense to know
whether or not it is available.

- Andrew

Old January 5th 04, 06:41 PM
Stan Gosnell

EDR wrote in :

Does anyone use a separate Avionics Checklist prior to departing IFR?
I am in the process of developing my own and would appreciate seeing
what others are doing. Please cut and paste a posting to the group or
email me directly.
Thanks.

I don't have a copy of our checklist here at home, but I'll try to do it
from memory.

1. GPS - Go through whatever function checks you have for your GPS. They
should be in the manual that came with the unit.

2. VORs
a. Tune both nav radios (if you have more than one) to a VOR.
b. Center both course needles with a TO indication and compare them.
c. Change both CDIs (if you have two) more than 10 degrees and check
for full-scale deflection of the needles. Then move the CDIs past 90
degrees and check for TO/FROM change. Center both needles with a FROM
indication and compare them. If you only have one CDI, insure that the
centered indications are more or less correct, depending on the distance
from the station.
d. Set the CDIs to the desired course.
e. Identify the station with the audio, and if you have a
VALID/INVALID light, tune the VOR off the station and check for an INVALID
light with no signal.

3. ADF - check the bearing pointer, see that it points in the right
direction for the station tuned, and moves with a new station.

4. DME - Check that it's operational, and giving correct information, if
you can receive a signal.

5. Marker Beacon - test.

6. Radar Altimeter - test.

--