what flight planning software do you use?

Old September 26th 03, 01:20 AM
Mike Adams

I use DUATS, either Cirrus, Web-based, or direct via telnet. It works fine and
it's free.

However, I also echo the other responses here, that even with all the
computer tools available, it's still fun to plan a flight manually, draw the
lines on the sectionals, and consider all the options. Earlier this summer I
was stuck with no computer and planned a 600 mile flight with just a plotter
and an E6B, and amazingly it came out accurate to within a few minutes even
without a current wind forecast.

Mike

"Sridhar Rajagopal" wrote in message
Hi,

I was wondering about the following:

1) how many people actually use any kind of flight planning software
(VFR and IFR)?
2) If you do use it, which one do you use?
3) how would you rate it?

Thanks!
Sridhar

Old September 26th 03, 01:34 AM
C J Campbell

I use FliteStar sometimes. It is very good and it is easy to use and my
laptop computer is handy. However, I usually just plan my flights manually.
I can do a manual flight plan as quickly as I can use any computer program,
but then I can solve problems on an E6B as fast as someone can tell me the
problem orally.

Old September 26th 03, 01:35 AM
EDR

In article , Sridhar Rajagopal
wrote:
I was wondering about the following:
1) how many people actually use any kind of flight planning software
(VFR and IFR)?
2) If you do use it, which one do you use?
3) how would you rate it?

It depend on what aircraft I am flying.
If I will be flying the Champ, I have to stop every two hours.
Depending on the winds, two hours could be 100 sm or it could be 240
sm. I start out with a no-wind cruise speed and plot 150 sm stops on
the map. Then I go to DUATS and plug the fuel stops and destination
into the planner. I look at the wind adjusted leg times and move my
fuel stops accordingly.
Flying any of my clubs C182, PA28-201RT, PA32-300, I still have to plan
for two hour legs (my wife's rule) but with the higher no-wind cruise
speed, the distances are greater, but the planning is still the same.
Start with paper, determine the stops, feed DUATs, adjust the stops.
Old September 26th 03, 02:30 AM
lance smith

I always use DUATS for my xc flights. It's free, on the web, and it
does everything I need. For short local flights I use NOAA's aviation
weather and the DOD NOTAM website.

-lance smith

Old September 26th 03, 03:37 AM
Newps

Not sure how long it has been available but Verizon offers pilot weather
as part of their Get It Now service. You can get Metars, TAF's, radar
pictures and loops, radar loops for a user defined route. The radar
pictures are good enough for VFR flight, you make the call for IFR
flight. Takes about 30 seconds to download a radar loop. I just started
the service, it is $10 per month for unlimited usage. There are three
other weather services available that also offer satellite pictures as
well as radar pictures for less money but they do not have TAF's and Metars.

Old September 26th 03, 03:59 AM
Peter Duniho

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
I'm disappointed to see that not a single responder, so far, has said
he does NOT use software.

He asked what flight planning software we use. He asked how many people DO
use software.

Why would I answer, given that I don't use any software?

Pete

Old September 26th 03, 05:50 AM
Rad

I use AirPlan.. it's pretty good for what I need it to do.. and above all,
the price is right...

same thing from competitors costs hundreds more.. I can't justify that
difference...

Old September 26th 03, 03:11 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Sridhar Rajagopal wrote:

2) If you do use it, which one do you use?

I use an old package called TAU. I think it's not available anymore, and my
database has been out of date for about ten years now, but it's easy to use
and I like it.

George Patterson
The British drink warm beer because they all own Lucas refrigerators.
Old September 26th 03, 05:00 PM
Ross Richardson

I use DUATS. (Cirrus software interface) I like it - it's simple. I have
my plane profiled and I find that I get with in +/- 5 minutes and within
a few gallons of what the flight plan states.

Old September 26th 03, 05:04 PM
Ross Richardson

Good point. I stated earlier that I use Cirrus DUATS, but I also look at
the provide plan and they look at the charts and see what I want to do.
I have a IFR approved GPS so that allows me some changes. I do not just
blindly use Mapquest either. It makes mistakes also.

"vincent p. norris" wrote:

1) how many people actually use any kind of flight planning software
(VFR and IFR)?

I'm disappointed to see that not a single responder, so far, has said
he does NOT use software.

I'm not a luddite, but I think using a computer to plan a flight
is..... well, I'm afraid I would offend people if I said what I think.

I've planned, and made, a number of long cross-countries, including
two from PA to Alaska, one around the perimeter of the Lower 48 one
all over the Canadian Maritimes; and the hours I spent poring over the
sectionals, looking for the most desirable routes, the best stopping
places, and so forth, was almost as much fun as making the flights.

In addition to the pure enjoyment, I learned a lot about the
topography of my route by drawing course lines on the charts, and
discovered interesting places I would not have known about had I
depended on a computer to do my thinking for me.

vince norris