Running runup?

Old June 29th 04, 05:35 AM
G. Burkhart

Default Running runup?

When I did my training my CFI taught me to stop at the run-up area and
go through the run-up checklist. This was done at airports that had run-up
areas readily available. Fairly recently, I went with an instructor that
taught me to do a run-up during taxi on airports that don't have a run-up
area or require back taxi on the runway. Some of the local airstrips have
narrow (or no) taxiways and they lead right to the runway with little room
to stop to do a run-up so I've gotten into the habit of doing the run-up
while taxiing. I make sure to check outside to where I'm going while
checking the mag drops, etc. That way I'm ready for departure by the time I
get to the runway, which is helpful when others are following behind me on
the taxiway, especially during fly-ins. Some airports require back taxi on
the runway from the ramp/taxiway and I'll do the (stopped) run-up before
getting on the runway or a run-up during the back taxi so I'm ready to go
when I turn around for departure.

Do you do 'running' run-ups?

Old June 29th 04, 06:52 AM
Ditch

Do you do 'running' run-ups?

Not anymore. I have done them when I was towing banners and we would do a quick
turn and taxiing out I would do a quick mag check to expedite things...but
nowadays I just stop and do one. Too many things can distract you while doing
it on the go.
If there is no "run-up" area for the runway, you could always stop on the
taxiway, check behind you to make sure you aren't going to blast someone, and
then do a run-up. If someone is behind you..well..no suggestion there.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*
Old June 29th 04, 07:03 AM
Hilton

G. Burkhart wrote:
Do you do 'running' run-ups?

I do when I fly seaplanes, but then I don't have a choice. Seriously,
why increase the risk of an incident when a 172 runup can be done in about a
minute?

Hilton

Old June 29th 04, 07:09 AM
Bela P. Havasreti

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 04:35:29 GMT, "G. Burkhart"
wrote:

[...]

Yes.

In places such as you mention (where there really isn't anyplace to
pull over and run-up) and also like you say, leaving fly-ins, where
you want to be ready to go when you get to the departure end of the
runway (as opposed to looking for some spot to run up, where there
already is dozens of airplanes trying to do the same thing).

There is a little extra wear on the brakes (doing a runup while
rolling along) but brake pads are relatively cheap.... (I know
they're not dirt-cheap!).

Bela P. Havasreti
Old June 29th 04, 07:17 AM
C J Campbell

I avoid them while taxiing. A run-up takes only a few seconds anyway.

Old June 29th 04, 07:43 AM
Colin

"G. Burkhart" wrote:

[...]

In UK they teach full pre-TO checks on the taxiway. Everyone turns 60
deg off taxiway heading, whether or not ther is anyone behind.

Old June 29th 04, 11:54 AM
Cub Driver

Do you do 'running' run-ups?

I don't, no. Too much to think about. I fly only out of untowered
fields, and I've never seen an airport where there wasn't someplace to
do the runup--even on the runway itself. I'd feel safer tucked down at
the far end (the Cub is yellow) than doing the thang while taxiing.

Heck, on most of these fields, I'm back-taxiing on the active anyhow

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! weblog www.vivabush.org
Old June 29th 04, 12:22 PM
Joe Johnson

You could turn so you're not parallel to the taxiway if someone's behind
you.

Old June 29th 04, 12:25 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Tue, 29 Jun 2004 04:35:29 GMT, "G. Burkhart" wrote:

Do you do 'running' run-ups?

In a seaplane, all the time g.

In my Mooney -- I see no reason to do so. By "run-up" I assume you mean
the portion of the pre-takeoff check list when the engine is at a faster
speed than idle.

How long does it take to run the engine up to 1900 rpm (or whatever it is
on your a/c), cycle the prop once (or however many times your POH -- not
your first instructor -- says to do it) and do a mag check? Fifteen
seconds tops? Rarely longer if something is found. And occasionally
longer if it's the first flight of the day.

Now then the parts of the pre-takeoff check list that do not require the
engine to be at other than idle, if there is a significant operational
advantage, I will sometimes do those on the roll. For example, check fuel
on fullest tank, seat belts, doors, windows, instruments, flaps, etc.

Old June 29th 04, 01:36 PM
Henry and Debbie McFarland

Do you do 'running' run-ups?

Yes. If you attend any of the major fly-ins your run-up will be a rolling
one.

Deb
--
1946 Luscombe 8A (His)