Dumping Flying Magazine

Old April 9th 04, 02:24 PM
Dave

Default Dumping Flying Magazine

Is it me, or has Flying become among the worst GA magazines to read?
Why does it seem that all I read about are trip reports from Mac and
Dick Collins that, personally, offer little educational value? Each
of these guys write serveral articles per issue. Are they that hard
up for good writers, or do these guys just like to write everything
themselves? When I open AOPA Pilot, Flight Training, Private Pilot,
Plane and Pilot, etc. I find a good balance of education, reviews, and
good tidbits. All I feel I've gained from reading Flying is knowing
every detail of what's in the Avionics stack of Mac's Barron and
Dick's Cessna P210.
Old April 9th 04, 02:42 PM
Jay Honeck

Is it me, or has Flying become among the worst GA magazines to read?

Two words: Lane Wallace.

I'd buy the mag just for her!

:-)

(But I agree with everything else you've said...)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 9th 04, 06:58 PM
JFLEISC

Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993

wrote:
Two words: Lane Wallace.

I'd buy the mag just for her!

Amen to that!

Old April 10th 04, 03:35 AM
Bob Fry

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Is it me, or has Flying become among the worst GA magazines to read?

Two words: Lane Wallace.

Oh, dude. C'mon. Lane is simply an average-skilled amateur writer
and a less-skilled pilot. You need to expand your reading and you'll
know what I mean and what you're missing.

Except for Peter Garrison, the other writers are useless too.
Old April 10th 04, 05:04 PM
Jay Honeck

Two words: Lane Wallace.

Oh, dude. C'mon. Lane is simply an average-skilled amateur writer
and a less-skilled pilot. You need to expand your reading and you'll
know what I mean and what you're missing.

What do you suggest?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 10th 04, 06:08 PM
Bob Fry

"Jay Honeck" writes:

What do you suggest?

For a periodical, The Atlantic (http://www.theatlantic.com/). I
typically read about half of each issue (another thing I recently
figured out: just 'cause I subscribe to magazines doesn't mean I have
to read everything in them!) Look for articles by William
Langewiesche (see if this link works for you:
http://www.theatlantic.com/unbound/b...h/ba980630.htm )

For aviation stories, most anything by Ernest K. Gann, of course.
"Flight of Passage" by Rinker Buck. "Stranger to the Ground" by
Richard Bach (though a lot of his stuff is too sappy for me). The
collection of Bax Seat stories put together by Flying rag, or "View
From the Cockpit" by Len Morgan.

As I think about it, I have nothing personally against your Lane
Wallace or the others. But they are not good writers. To believe so
does a disservice to those who are.
Old April 10th 04, 06:30 PM
Michael 182

"Bob Fry" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" writes:

What do you suggest?

Anything written by James Lee Burke, starting with the Robicheaux series

"No Ordinary Time" by Doris Kearns Godwin

"A Thousand Acres" by Jane Smiley

"The Lords of Discipline" and "The Great Santini" by Pat Conroy

"Mystic River" by David Lehane

"The River Why" by David James Duncan

"A River Runs Through It" by Norman Maclean

"The Last Convertible" and "Once an Eagle" by Anton Myrer

Old April 11th 04, 08:56 AM
Thomas Borchert

Bob,

the first book by John Deakin, just out now (see his latest column on
Avweb).

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)