Rocks Thrown at Border Patrol Chopper

Old August 27th 05, 05:43 AM
Jose

Some large liberal municipalities have laws against local law enforcement
providing information about illegal aliens to the Feds.

It would be a pretty scary world if every cop were a link to the feds.

Don't worry though, as long as you aren't doing anything wrong, the
current administration won't hurt you.

Jose
--
Quantum Mechanics is like this: God =does= play dice with the universe,
except there's no God, and there's no dice. And maybe there's no universe.
Old August 27th 05, 05:45 AM
N93332

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
This is AMERICA, and the language here is ENGLISH -- and I shouldn't have
to TELL THEM THAT.
It's insane, but it's the law -- and there's apparently nothing we can do
to change it.

It could be changed if the U.S. had an OFFICIAL language. Until the US makes
a law saying that English (or whatever) is the official language, the
gov'ment will still print IRS forms, census forms, etc., in several
languages. There is no incentive for non-English speaking people (legal or
illegal) to learn English if everything they need is available in their
native language.

Old August 27th 05, 11:06 AM
Matt Barrow

"Eduardo K." wrote in message
In article ne.com,
Andrew Gideon wrote:

Am I following this correctly? Homeland security, having failed to

handle
the problem of illegal immigration, deported *legal* immigrants?

Based upon this, I need to take a better look at my neighbors. Bin Laden

is
probably living in some suburban US town watching CNN. The largest

threat
to his health is that he'll kill himself laughing at our "war against
terrorism".

Very nicely put.

And he laughed at pre-9/11 efforts to make the issue a "Law Enforcement"
effort (from his fatwa in 1996 until 2001). At the very least, he's been on
the run for nearly four years and much of his hierarchy is dead or in jail.

To call it a war on terrorism (a tactic) is like having a war against
pincers movements or end-runs.

Old August 27th 05, 11:09 AM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
> [...]
There is something ironic about US citizens whose families have lived
here for less than 400 years complaining about illegal immigrants...

Yes, there is. But never before have new immigrants so arrogantly
*expected* everything to be handed to them on a silver platter.

And which codified law did the immigrants 150-400 year ago break? Which
property laws did they break?

Old August 27th 05, 11:11 AM
Matt Barrow

"N93332" wrote in message
"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
This is AMERICA, and the language here is ENGLISH -- and I shouldn't

have
to TELL THEM THAT.
It's insane, but it's the law -- and there's apparently nothing we can

do
to change it.

It could be changed if the U.S. had an OFFICIAL language. Until the US

makes
a law saying that English (or whatever) is the official language, the
gov'ment will still print IRS forms, census forms, etc., in several
languages. There is no incentive for non-English speaking people (legal or
illegal) to learn English if everything they need is available in their
native language.

The only languages they are printed in is English and Spanish -- are you
aware of other languages?

Old August 27th 05, 11:15 AM
Matt Barrow

"grubertm" wrote in message
oups.com...
There is something ironic about US citizens whose families have lived
here for less than 400 years complaining about illegal immigrants...

What law did those immigrants, 400 years ago, violate?

Anyway, the very real reason why no politician is willing to touch this
issue is because the US economy has become dependent on cheap illegal
labor.

Can you site the percentage of the US economy that interacts with illegal
labor?

(I suspect you're merely barfing back some phrases your teachers and the MSM
have been upchucking for years).

Old August 27th 05, 11:48 AM
Dylan Smith

On 2005-08-27, Jay Honeck wrote:
they certainly would never have dreamed of all the bi-lingual crap we must
deal with every day, from ATMs to voice mail systems.

Nothing wrong with multi-lingual ATMs - it's easy, it's just done in
software. I rather like it on the very occasional visit I make to
France. In fact, the ATMs here won't ask you a language if your bank
card is recognised as local.

Let me describe this issue in cold economic facts, rather than the emotion
of English versus Spanish: For every million shoppers who must spend an
average of 3 seconds (probably far longer) trying to figure out which button
to push (Spanish or English), that is 34.7 DAYS spent wasting everyone's
time in line, making a stupid, unnecessary choice.

No it isn't. Most people have realised by now you can swipe your card
whilst the checker is scanning the goods. Therefore the tasks are
happening in paralell - unless it takes you SO LONG to make that
selection that the checker beats you scanning the items.

In any case, it certainly doesn't take me 3 seconds to choose the
language. It's hardly something that needs "figuring out" unless you're
functionally illiterate.

The people who are really wasting time are those who insist on paying
for $3 worth of groceries with a check!

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old August 27th 05, 12:19 PM
Flyingmonk

My father brought me here legally from Laos when I was nine as a
refugee. He started working the very first week that we got here. We
were never on any kind of assistance program. Neither he nor I have
ever collected unemployment. We never got anything translated for us.
We got by just find and we learned to adapt to and appreciate this
country.

If everthing is being translated for them, these newcomers, I think
they will have a harder time to adjust because they will wait for
assistance every single time.

Bryan "The Monk" Chaisone

Old August 27th 05, 01:26 PM
Moo

"Flyingmonk" wrote in message news:
My father brought me here legally from Laos when I was nine as a
refugee. He started working the very first week that we got here. We
were never on any kind of assistance program. Neither he nor I have
ever collected unemployment. We never got anything translated for us.
We got by just find and we learned to adapt to and appreciate this
country.

Haven't read a follow-up to this.

Without immigration, most countries can't survive. The thing that strangles
them is not described by the story you tell. A brief reading of the history
of your adoptive land will tell you of the protective resources you should
have. And, deserve.

moo