Need Information To Do A 150 Hp Conversion On My C-150

Old February 19th 05, 02:23 AM
spar

Default Need Information To Do A 150 Hp Conversion On My C-150

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who can advise
me who I need
to contact to get information to do a 150 hp
conversion on my C-150.
Thanks in advance
Spar

Old February 19th 05, 07:09 AM
BTIZ

This might be a good place to start... all I did was type "Cessna 150" in my
IE6
http://www.cessna150-152.com/

BT

Old February 19th 05, 04:18 PM
Carl Ellis

http://www.aeroprice.com/aerolibrary/cessnase_mods.htm
Old February 24th 05, 10:59 PM
Homesick Angel

Dear Spar,

We did this conversion several years ago on a 150D we had. We got the
"kit" from A/C conversions in CA, it's on that list of Cessna
conversions. At the time I think it was $5,500 for the kit. There was
a lot of fabricating and blueprints and a lot of labor that scared off
a good many mechanics. We had bought a 150 HP engire reasonably, but
it ended up that there were only certain engine dash numbers that you
could use, and we had the wrong one. It was out of a Super Cub and we
advertised it as a Super Cub engine and made a few bucks on it so that
worked out OK. Then we got the right engine (from a really good guy in
Orlando FL, Dick Waters who deals in engines and is usally our first
place to look, his number is 1-800-366-4746. He's real reasonable and
real honest.) I think the engine was $7,000 and it was real low time.

Then you'll need a different prop. We ended up buying a new one, think
it was $2,300 cause we were going crazy trying to find a used one with
the right numbers. Called a couple of dealers from Trade A Plane and
they said to be real careful. He said he had been buying props that
would check out OK, people would use them a while, and then they
wouldn't check out any more. Like somebody had worked on them and got
it back in tolerance but then just normal use would get it out again.
Scary. So we just bought a new one. We have a grass strip and the
prop is longer than the original prop so it's kind of scary with rocks
and gravel knicks to you have to be more careful.

A instructor did a short field landing on a tar runmay in it and got on
the brakes really hard. The nose dipped down and Tom says the prop
almost hit. He said he closed his eyes cause he was too scared to keep
watching. Probably the air in the nosewheel strut was a little low,
but just keep that in mind. May the extra weight of the engine too
might have added, not sure of the weight difference.

The bigger engine will drink more fuel, so it will cut down on the
amount of hours you can fly. Can't remember the exact numbers but
probably run out in about two hours. Be really great if you could get
the long range tanks, but that used to cost about $4,000 just for the
kit. We never had the money to get the X tra fuel, and you are kind of
limited by weight so if you had more fuel, probably have to fly it solo
legally. So by the time you put all this money into a 150 you could've
probably bought one all done or a different type of airplane.

I usually fly conservatively, so I'd fly at say 50% power instead of
75%. It was so much fun taking off and landing that about all I did
with it. It would climb out at 1,000 to 1,500 FPM at 90 MPH even on
100+ degree days here in Texas. That totally spoiled me. I hate
flying a regular 150 or 152 now. I get out. See if the brakes are
sticking. Carb heat stuck on. How come this thing ain't moving or
climbing. Hope this into has been helpful. Just be careful and
research and make sure you find a good mechanic who can start and
finish the job, we burned out a bunch before we found somebody
competent to do the job. Take care, homesick angel.

Old February 27th 05, 06:08 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Homesick Angel wrote:
: The bigger engine will drink more fuel, so it will cut down on the
: amount of hours you can fly. Can't remember the exact numbers but
: probably run out in about two hours.

I don't normally buy this argument. With very few exceptions (planes that are
horribly underpowered to begin with), more HP doesn't buy you appreciably more speed.
Power required goes with the cube of the speed, so normally powered planes aren't much
slower than souped-up ones. Just because you have more power, doesn't mean you need
to use it. (and in most cases it's silly to do so). If you pull the power back on a
bigger engine, it'll burn roughly the same amount of fuel as on a smaller engine.

There are only a few things to counter this...
- reduced efficiency running at really low power settings on a fixed pitch prop (CS
running oversquared would help a lot)
- Added weight of the larger engine (generally not too much anyway)

: I usually fly conservatively, so I'd fly at say 50% power instead of
: 75%. It was so much fun taking off and landing that about all I did

... So they should burn almost the same fuel... It's the same 75HP whether its
75% of 100 or 50% of 150... roughly 5.5gph.

Of course climb/hauling is the real (and legitimate) reason to do it.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old February 28th 05, 04:26 AM
Homesick Angel

Dear Cory,

Any idea How do I get my 182 to cruise along at 5.5 GPH? (without
burning something up cause it's leaned out too much? or falling out of
the sky) It's a 1957 and real light for it's size and got a STOL kit.
Getting hard to afford gas for it, but don't want to give in to my
husband and get one of those old-fashioned taildraggers. He's
rebuilding a Champ right now his 75 HP versus my 230 HP. When I have a
Cub I want to fly fast and I fly the 182 like a Cub, poke along nice
and slow. Guess growing up in the muscle car era brainwashes you. I
figure in a few years I might have to change to sport pilot, but for
now I'll keep the Beast from the East and pray for gas prices to go
down so I can afford a trip to maybe Alaska or the Seaplane fly-in in
Greenville and make it in a day or two instead of a week of two in a
tail dragger (I have still trouble flying a straight course, wind, neat
stuff to side track to, sightseeing and not pin point navigating).
Still prefer the compass and map to my GPS. Just way behind the times
I guess. Well take care. Good luck in your educational endeavors.
Never could get into the book learning thing unless it was something I
was interested in and back in the 1970s girls weren't engineers,
pilots, mechanics, architects, etc which all interested me a lot. So I
had to settle for second and third choices for a while until I just
started to do what I wanted to do, working in a lumber mill running
saws and planers, detailing and auto body work, manning remote
firetowers in the woods of Maine, going out west to fight fires. Now
stuff like that is fun. Right now its mostly farming and keeping our
grass strip mowed (some times the goats are allowed out to graze and as
the price of gas goes up the amount of time the goats will have
possession of the runway will be directly proportion to any price
increases). Until I get one of those electric robotic mowers and
program it to do the job with less pollution and noise. Guess I need
the plans for one of those if somebody's got them?

Hope everybody's enjoying flying. I thought I was a math-head but some
of you people are way out there. Just don't let that stuff distract
you so much that you fly into something or fall out of the sky. Watch
out for all the cell phone towers and other towers out there. Be safe
and God bless. The Homesick Angel, Carol

Old February 28th 05, 01:45 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Homesick Angel wrote:
: Dear Cory,

: Any idea How do I get my 182 to cruise along at 5.5 GPH? (without
: burning something up cause it's leaned out too much? or falling out of
: the sky) It's a 1957 and real light for it's size and got a STOL kit.
: Getting hard to afford gas for it, but don't want to give in to my
: husband and get one of those old-fashioned taildraggers.

A 182's pretty heavy, but it'll probably stay aloft on 5.5 gph. Bottom line
is: absolute best fuel economy is flying at best rate (since that's where
induced+parasitic drag is minimized). That's usually too slow for most, and will be
cooking the cylinders due to low airflow and high angle of attack, but strictly
speaking, it's best fuel economy. Usually, (since the drag curve is pretty flat
around best rate), you can increase the speed a fair bit above that without hitting
the parasitic drag wall.

For instance... I run my PA-28-180 at 65% in cruise, leaned to peak EGT, and
run 120mph IAS at 8-8.5gph. For bopping around the local area (in no particular
hurry), about 45% power leaned until it wheezes will give me 100mph IAS at about
5.5-6gph. CHT's stay at 375 or below... life is good.

It also might be worth taking a look at some lean-of-peak information. Bottom
line: below max cruise power, it's impossible to damage your engine with the red knob
alone. Deakin (on avweb) is a big evangelist on this... if you run lower power, lean
it 'till it wheezes and you won't hurt anything. Now, if CHT's get too hot doing
this, it's enother matter. If you wheeze it at too high of power, you'll melt it
quickly. Keep those things in check, and it's clean engine, clean plugs, good fuel
economy, and acceptable speed... might not be the fastest, but it's it all about the
flying anyway?

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss *

Old February 28th 05, 02:38 PM
Ron Natalie

Homesick Angel wrote:
Dear Cory,

Any idea How do I get my 182 to cruise along at 5.5 GPH? (without
burning something up cause it's leaned out too much?

Pull the big black knob out :-)
Old February 28th 05, 04:33 PM
Newps

: Any idea How do I get my 182 to cruise along at 5.5 GPH? (without
: burning something up cause it's leaned out too much? or falling out of
: the sky) It's a 1957 and real light for it's size and got a STOL kit.
: Getting hard to afford gas for it, but don't want to give in to my
: husband and get one of those old-fashioned taildraggers.

Don't know what altitude you're talking about but at 7500 and 20 squared
you are looking at 9 gph. At 15 inches and 2000 you will get about 6.5
gph. At this point the nose will be pretty high and you will only be
getting about 95-100 MPH IAS. To get to 5.5 gph wouldn't be any fun at
all. If you have to have 5.5 then sell the plane and get something that
can reasonably do that.

It also might be worth taking a look at some lean-of-peak information. Bottom
line: below max cruise power, it's impossible to damage your engine with the red knob
alone.

On the big bore Continentals you need to be below 65% before you try
that. Plus having a carbed engine makes LOP impractical.

Old February 28th 05, 09:12 PM
kage

"Newps" wrote in message
On the big bore Continentals you need to be below 65% before you try that.

No. You don't.

Karl
Gami Serial# 19