No SID in clearance, fly it anyway?

Old November 7th 03, 06:45 PM
Icebound

Tom S. wrote:
"Icebound" wrote in message
ogers.com...

When those same wage-earners become Consumers, they continue to buy from
certain large, dominant chains who have tons of suppliers in the
"emerging-economy" countries with questionable human rights and
environmental records and low wages, but thats a whole other NG.

Cite?

From the business pages:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=969048863851

or

http://makeashorterlink.com/?C34921976

some quotes:

"And so the giant Electronic Data Systems Corp., founded by Ross Perot
but no longer run by that noisy patriot, now recruits $1.25-an-hour tech
workers in India and sheds their $10-an-hour counterparts in EDS's home
state of Texas.

Wall Street brokerages including Morgan Stanley and J.P. Morgan Chase &
Co. are shifting from New York to India the ground-floor stock-research
jobs that traditionally lead to plum analyst assignments. Both India and
China are already well-known to recruiters from Intel Corp. and
Microsoft Corp.

Levi Strauss & Co. has just announced the closing of its remaining four
North American plants, including three in Canada, and will shift all
production to Asia and Latin America."

Old November 7th 03, 07:18 PM
Tom S.

"Newps" wrote in message

Icebound wrote:

Those things didn't come from consumers. They came grudgingly at the
initiative of slightly progressive politicians under pressure from
activists and scientists.

Nope, sorry. A few tree huggers don't have the political power
necessary to force down all these changes.

Bull! See the fires in California last couple of weeks, as well as the
Yellowstone fire a few years back, the fires in Colorado and Arizona last
year...

These are the same "progressives" that cleaned up the air and water
everywhere but in the areas they control themselves. The same ones that
Rachel Carlson gave the impetus to that still kills tens of millions a year.

Old November 7th 03, 07:26 PM
Tom S.

"Icebound" wrote in message
e.rogers.com...
Tom S. wrote:
"Icebound" wrote in message
ogers.com...

When those same wage-earners become Consumers, they continue to buy from
certain large, dominant chains who have tons of suppliers in the
"emerging-economy" countries with questionable human rights and
environmental records and low wages, but thats a whole other NG.

Cite?

From the business pages:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1066428608401&call_pag eid=968350072197&col=969048863851

What a joke! Now that's funny!!!

When you learn something other than what they shoved down your face in
school, we'll discuss it.

One person asked if someone was listening to talk radio, I guess this guy is
listening to NPR!

Old November 7th 03, 07:30 PM
Ron Natalie

"Tom S." wrote in message ...

From the business pages:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1066428608401&call_pag eid=968350072197&col=969048863851

A spurious appears in the above:

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/Con...l=969048863851

Old November 8th 03, 01:53 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 08:45:18 -0500, "Robert Henry"
wrote:

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 22:45:15 -0500, "Robert Henry"
wrote:

The instruction was terrible, but
technically/procedurally correct as far as I have been able to establish

That removes the controller training level from the risk equation.

I thought you said that ATC was not protecting the ODP for an IFR
departure. If so, there is an ATC training issue that will affect other
pilots who do things by the book.

No, sorry for the confusion. In the discussions that followed, the tower
suggested that I inform them of my intentions to fly the ODP (which is
similar to the circumstances originating this thread, right?), so that they
could coordinate better. The implication was that in vmc RAPCON could
vector arriving aircraft on the visual approach further away from the ODP so
that there would not be a head to head situation. There was nothing to
imply that the ODP was not being protected.

That doesn't make sense to me. If the ODP is being protected, then a
conflict will not arise. If a "head to head situation" arises, then the
ODP was not being protected.

Also, you previously wrote that "both held that an ODP needs to be
requested by the pilot if not issued"

That is just not the case. An ODP never needs to be requested by the
pilot. The pilot may fly it at his prerogative, unless alternate departure
instructions have been received from ATC.

Now, it is my position that the safer procedure would be for the tower to
automatically issue departure heading instructions that are consistent with
the ODP.

It should be the case that any departure instructions issued by the tower
are either consistent with the ODP *OR* with taking you over an area that
is 40:1 clear. In some circumstances (although generally not a towered
field), ATC is *required* to obtain pilot agreement to fly certain
departure routes.

I think we agree on that. (Frankly, I know now that my error was
in expecting this to happen - AGAIN, a misconception (that I believe
non-scientifically could be fairly common about the level of service one can
expect at a towered airport in a radar environment on an IFR flight plan.)
Now, when the pilot contacts departure, he can say, "...can we get on
course?" Departure can say, "radar contact, but I cannot turn you on course
until you reach MVA." If conditions warrant, the pilot can come back and
say, "We will maintain our own terrain clearance, request on course." All
things being equal, that could be approved as requested with an instruction
to maintain visual terrain clearance.

Approach control should NOT give you vectors below the MVA/MIA (with rare
exceptions as noted above).

However, if you say "...can we get on course?", ATC could certainly say
"Proceed on course". They have not given you a vector, and you are still
responsible for terrain clearance.

If you say to ATC, "We'd like to ..." ATC will generally assume that you
feel it is safe and legal for you to do so and that you are able to do so.
Whether they allow it or not usually depends on factors other than terrain.
Some of these factors include traffic and LOA's between facilities that may
require you to be in a certain spot.

Old November 8th 03, 03:48 AM
Robert Henry

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message

That doesn't make sense to me. If the ODP is being protected, then a
conflict will not arise. If a "head to head situation" arises, then the
ODP was not being protected.

Inside Class D, below MVA, for a visual approach in vmc? Aren't both
aircraft VFR for the purposes of collision avoidance at this point? What
protection would be provided? Radar services are not being provided to
either aircraft along the ODP since both are inside the ring and below MVA.
Now if it were IMC, that would be a different case, but there are no
approaches that traverse this ODP, so there would be no truly VFR aircraft
or IFR aircraft on visual approaches in that space; it's pretty easy to
protect.

Also, you previously wrote that "both held that an ODP needs to be
requested by the pilot if not issued"

That is just not the case. An ODP never needs to be requested by the
pilot. The pilot may fly it at his prerogative, unless alternate

departure
instructions have been received from ATC.

True. I think I overstated that. The idea was that they would hope that I
would tell them of my intentions to fly the ODP to make things go more
smoothly for all involved. I took this to mean that I really should have
requested it, even though it's not required.

Approach control should NOT give you vectors below the MVA/MIA (with rare
exceptions as noted above).

However, if you say "...can we get on course?", ATC could certainly say
"Proceed on course". They have not given you a vector, and you are still
responsible for terrain clearance.

If you say to ATC, "We'd like to ..." ATC will generally assume that you
feel it is safe and legal for you to do so and that you are able to do so.
Whether they allow it or not usually depends on factors other than

terrain.
Some of these factors include traffic and LOA's between facilities that

may
require you to be in a certain spot.

Absolutely, and until ATC and you concur on that course of action, I think
proceeding according to the ODP is the ideal strategy to reach the enroute
system.

Old November 8th 03, 05:11 AM
Newps

Robert Henry wrote:

Inside Class D, below MVA, for a visual approach in vmc? Aren't both
aircraft VFR for the purposes of collision avoidance at this point? What
protection would be provided? Radar services are not being provided to
either aircraft along the ODP since both are inside the ring and below MVA.
Now if it were IMC, that would be a different case, but there are no
approaches that traverse this ODP, so there would be no truly VFR aircraft
or IFR aircraft on visual approaches in that space; it's pretty easy to
protect.

IFR aircraft are always provided separation from each other until
touchdown, the type of airspace does not matter. The fact that one
aircraft is inside some kind of ring or below the MVA is not relavant.

Old November 8th 03, 11:06 AM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Fri, 7 Nov 2003 22:48:42 -0500, "Robert Henry"
wrote:

Inside Class D, below MVA, for a visual approach in vmc? Aren't both
aircraft VFR for the purposes of collision avoidance at this point?

ATC is responsible for providing separation between IFR aircraft. IFR
refers to the RULES under which the aircraft are flying and NOT to the
weather conditions.

What protection would be provided?

Separation from other IFR traffic.

Radar services are not being provided to
either aircraft along the ODP since both are inside the ring and below MVA.

I don't know what you mean by "the ring". But since when are radar
services required for IFR traffic separation? Radar allows for less
separation, but non-radar IFR regulations have been around for a long time.

Now if it were IMC, that would be a different case

Why and how?

(Unless *both* aircraft report traffic in sight, and consent to "maintain
visual separation")

no approaches that traverse this ODP, so there would be no truly VFR aircraft
or IFR aircraft on visual approaches in that space; it's pretty easy to
protect.

But you are implying that they are NOT protecting this airspace unless the
pilot specifically requests an ODP (something he is NOT required to do)
when you talk about the possibility of "head to head" encounters.

Old November 8th 03, 02:21 PM
Snowbird

"Robert Henry" wrote in message news:rIZqb.402$5e.280@lakeread06...

Inside Class D, below MVA, for a visual approach in vmc? Aren't both
aircraft VFR for the purposes of collision avoidance at this point?

No. IFR separation rules still apply.

Aircraft operating under IFR in VMC must still be separated.
They are not separated from aircraft operating VFR in VMC.

What protection would be provided?

IFR separation should still be provided

Radar services are not being provided to
either aircraft along the ODP

If radar services can not be provided then the aircraft should
be separated under non-radar rules.

True. I think I overstated that. The idea was that they would hope that I
would tell them of my intentions to fly the ODP to make things go more
smoothly for all involved. I took this to mean that I really should have
requested it, even though it's not required.

Getting back to the original topic in the thread, it's clear
that it's helpful to inform ATC of one's intentions.

Cheers,
Sydney
Old November 8th 03, 03:21 PM
Robert Henry

wrote:

ATC is responsible for providing separation between IFR aircraft. IFR
refers to the RULES under which the aircraft are flying and NOT to the
weather conditions.

Yes, but see and avoid applies to IFR also. I can now see that there is more
to it than that.

What protection would be provided?

Separation from other IFR traffic.

Sure, as long as the arrival remains IFR. If the arriving aircraft is
cleared for the visual, the departing aircraft is probably not going to be
released, and if the departing aircraft is released, the arriving aircraft
is probably going to be given delaying / spacing vectors. If the arriving
aircraft cancels IFR and proceeds direct to the field...that's different.
Now, if the tower was expecting an easterly departure, and the aircraft
proceeds west according to the ODP, then what?

Radar services are not being provided to
either aircraft along the ODP since both are inside the ring and below

MVA.

I don't know what you mean by "the ring". But since when are radar
services required for IFR traffic separation? Radar allows for less
separation, but non-radar IFR regulations have been around for a long

time.

Now if it were IMC, that would be a different case

Why and how?

because... there are no approaches that traverse this ODP, so in IMC there
would be no truly VFR aircraft (we hope )
or IFR aircraft on visual approaches in that space; it's pretty easy to
protect.

(Unless *both* aircraft report traffic in sight, and consent to "maintain
visual separation")

But you are implying that they are NOT protecting this airspace unless the
pilot specifically requests an ODP (something he is NOT required to do)
when you talk about the possibility of "head to head" encounters.

No, the tower is saying, we don't know what you are going to do, so it'd be
nice if you would tell us. Are you saying that the tower is responsible for
protecting the ODP? I don't believe that's the case, else they wouldn't
have to request a release.

That said, I totally agree that since there is clearly ambiguity (tower
thought: let's see, the aircraft has an easterly flight plan, but the ODP is
westerly...I wonder which way he is going to turn after departure since he
might be able to outfly the terrain over there visually?), I think the tower
would be well advised to clarify. Instead, they have clearly stated that the
pilot can do what he wants (just like you say - pilot prerogative), and
they'll figure it out/react/respond accordingly.

So as Sydney notes, it would be best to state intentions, but that would not
have made any difference if I had hit the ground less than 3 minutes after
departure. That's what I would like to prevent from happening to someone
else. Let's get back to that.

Bob