Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

Old October 11th 18, 03:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Default Mt Washington Diamond Mine delivers again...

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 3:26:17 AM UTC-7, Giaco wrote:
3 New Diamonds and Lennie #1's at the Mt. Washington Wave camp yesterday.
Potentially a new state record as well, but verifying the logs.

Tows were as low as 2K, with highest climb in the 32K range
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3....C0&sc=&sp=2019

Sounds like a stellar camp.
30k climbs without a thousand dollar tow?
Jim
Old October 11th 18, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Giaco

Quick Video from the initial climb on Tuesday

Best part is the the peak foliage down the valley!

https://youtu.be/3Z5VYfmTbv4?
Old October 13th 18, 09:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
CindyB[_2_]

On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 4:47:59 PM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:
Cindy:
That is interesting, but wouldn't ATC want to divert high speed traffic away from the area below the glider in wave? That's a pretty big speed bump to hit at 500kts.
ROY

Usually the glider folk were wanting the windows on weekends. In our case, the airspace was often not (for a few hours) Dept of Defense use - it was released for civil use - so airliners wanted to go Direct... and save a ton of fuel. They're only running ~300 kts. And what's a little oscillation in cruise alt to a Boeing?

I am guessing that there is small enough pressure change in the peak and valley of the wave that the transponder reports to ATC don't show any alt deviation. And the autothrottles are doing their best to mitigate. Combine that with the 100' increment of transponder 'accuracy' and the local ATC boys being pretty well versed in the local weather phenomena. No one gets too upset, literally and figuratively.

The FLXXX cruise alts locally are mostly Above the rotor layer that lies under the wave apogee. Yes, there might be the "little buzz" in the upper transition trough - windward of the primary, but I have seldom encountered it. Even when wanting to run a level altitude and using that location.

The "local" ATC facility is darn well trained, and their primary mandate from the facility supervisor (who I had taken wave soaring) was " make it work for the most participants" == a helluva great outlook. Hence, if we could stay predictable at a block FL assignment, an airliner would run under us.

This was after we had established a track record of predictability and compliance. Keeping a clean record with ATC can be morphed into more privileges over time.

Soar safely,

Cindy B

Old October 15th 18, 09:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So, how about a Diamond climb without the need for a wave window? Here is how you do it:

Launch out of Santa Ynez (California) Airport KIZA on a north wind day with wave conditions forecast. Ridge soar the mountains just south of the field (Santa Ynez Peak to Bald Mountain etc.) until you are sure the ridge lift is there. Do a redline pass down the dry river bed at the base of those mountains (~500 ft MSL if you really push it, woohoo). Pull back up into the ridge lift and re-establish a climb. Float at min sink or find a thermal that takes you to at least 5000 ft MSL or so. Turn downwind and head for Santa Rosa Island (you will be heading over the water, and seeing the shoreline disappear under your wings is definitely spooky). Contact the wave downwind of the mountains and over the water. Climb to 18,000 ft MSL, presto, a Diamond climb!

Oh, and you may want to pre-check for bailout fields downwind of the mountains, west of Goleta. There were some decent ones back in the '80's, that were checked out and walked before this was attempted. I have no idea if those fields are still there....

I didn't invent this, the old Santa Ynez crew back in the late '80's told me about it, they had flown this profile numerous times. I tried it in October 1989 in my '20, but the wave only went to 11,000 ft or so that day. I already had my Diamond climb (Mt Mitchell NC in 1985) so I didn't go on a campaign for getting to 18,000 ft.... But Diamond climbs had been done that way, so I was told.

I hope I don't get in trouble for sharing this....

Cheers,
J6
Old October 15th 18, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 4:59:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

I did my Diamond climb at Gorham a few years ago. Low point about 700 above the airport. Max 17990. Made Diamond by 62 feet. I was told that this was the 5th "legal" Diamond done there.
Window was not open that day because gubment shutdown had just ended and they need the airspace for other stuff.
FWIW
UH
Old October 15th 18, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

=
the 5th "legal" Diamond done there.
Window was not open that day because gubment shutdown had just

ended and
th=
ey need the airspace for other stuff.
FWIW
UH

UH,

Maybe the 5th one out of Gorham, but there were numerous
climbs like that made from the old White Mountain airport in North
Conway before that airport was closed. After we opened up modern
wave flying there in 1966, people figured out that one didn't have to
tow 23 miles to get to the primary at Pinkham Notch. All one had to
do was climb up off the ridge at the east end of the airport and then
jump about 5 or 6 waves upwind. There were numerous flights that
were made to Diamond altitude gains with releases about 300' AGL on
the ridge right off the end of the runway. It sure cut down on the
launch time intervals as opposed to the tow plane having to do a 46
mile round trip through the Moat Mountain range rotor out and back.

RO

Old October 15th 18, 03:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 10:30:04 AM UTC-4, Michael Opitz wrote:
[...]

I was trying to point out that one does not have to take a whore tow and use Class A airspace to get the diamond. My flight was not at all remarkable, but relatively uncommon. The only uncommon thing about my flight was that I did it on the first try.
We are lucky to have Gorham as a site, having lost the other sites to uses like shopping malls.
UH
Old October 15th 18, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

Mike's post brings back some good old memories. I soloed at North Conway back in 1973 before the airport became a shopping center & condo. It was right next to the little ridge that was the Mt. Cranmore ski area. Alan MacNicol (who organized the early wave camps) said it was like a "filter": If you could figure out how to jump from the little ridge, to the Mt. Kearsarge ridge, to the secondary wave and then to the primary wave - then you were qualified to be in that big wave. If you couldn't - you didn't belong there. One year (maybe '76) we flew out of Glen NH - but that site did not last long.
ROY
Old October 15th 18, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Opitz wrote:
[...]

Actually, the whore tows were responsible for people finding the
alternative much lower ridge releases. Towing the 23 miles one way
in the constant Moat range rotor was a royal pain as well, but once
word about the wave possibilities got out, the initial operation with
one L-19 tow plane could just not keep up with the demand of
everyone showing up for a flight. The turn around time for just one
tow was on the order of 45 minutes or more. So, as we learned the
wave system and explored more, the much shorter tows with lower
releases on the ridge became the norm, and the operation was able
to accommodate the larger number of pilots who came out to
experience it.

RO

Old October 15th 18, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, October 15, 2018 at 11:39:04 AM UTC-4, Roy B. wrote:
Mike's post brings back some good old memories.

Yup, brings back some good memories:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_...(New_Hampshire)
Became a shopping mall 25 years ago now.

...If you could figure out how to jump from the little ridge, to the
Mt. Kearsarge ridge, to the secondary wave and then to the primary wave
- then you were qualified to be in that big wave.

I recall it took quite a few steps from the ridge to the primary. Lots of fun!
I also remember that early tows to the primary had gone,
shall we say, not so well...

See ya, Dave