"Cleared Straight-In Runway X; Report Y Miles Final"

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old August 14th 04, 05:07 PM
Jim Cummiskey

Oops, meant to say "the X-axis aligned at a 45 deg angle to the runway
centerline).

"Jim Cummiskey" wrote in message
GB, the 45 degree cone Doug was referring to encompassed both sides of the
extended centerline.

Imagine a large X and Y axis superimposed on any airport (with the X-axis
aligned with the runway centerline). There are thus four quadrants. If

at
any time I am moving in respect to the airport in one of those quadrants,

will either be in a "downwind" general direction, a "base" direction, a
"final/upwind" direction, and a "crosswind" direction. The "Final/Upwind"
direction represents the domain of what consitutes a "final" in my way of
thinking (which appears to be shared by at least three ATC controllers).

If you approach an airport at 30 degrees off the extended centerline
(something that I'm sure most of you have done thousands of times--as I
have), what leg are you flying?

Regards, Jim

"Flydive" wrote in message
Jim Cummiskey wrote:

(2) At Doug's airport, they consider every approach within a 45

degree
cone of the centerline to comply with the "Make Straight In, Runway X"
instruction. Clearly, there is NO OBLIGATION to intercept the

centerline at
any PARTICULAR point (although it must be intercepted at SOME point to

land
the plane; which I clearly did in this case--at ~1/2 mile from the

numbers).

Well if you were approaching with a 30 degrees angle you were in a 60
degrees cone, outside Doug's definition.

GB

Emergency Procedures RD Piloting 13 April 11th 04 08:25 PM
Rwy incursions Hankal Piloting 10 November 16th 03 02:33 AM