Even during sentencing, this guy is an a*hole

Old March 10th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Even during sentencing, this guy is an a*hole

On Thu, 09 Mar 2006 23:56:27 GMT, "Mortimer Schnerd, RN"
wrote in
: :

Be that as it may, it's like arguing with a cop. No good can come from it.

I know what you're getting at, but here's an example of good coming
from arguing with a cop:

From: " jls"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Subject: !! Joking?
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 15:27:28 -0400

An aggressive cop stopped me in my quiet neighborhood a few months
ago and demanded ID. I was taking a late night walk in sweat
pants to burn off a few calories. I told him I didn't have any
ID and was in my own neighborhood not bothering anybody and
unaccustomed to being accosted by an officer pulling his cruiser
over into my path, blocking me. Then did he ever become hostile
and told me to take my hands out of my pockets. I did as he said
until they became cold and back into my pockets they went. This
time he threatened me with handcuffs and jail, and then he went
off the charts when my hands went back into their pockets. "Take
them out!" he snapped.

"No, I won't," I said, as I turned my pockets inside out to show
him there was nothing in them "and if you arrest me you'd better
have a damn good reason in law for it." He began to reach for me
as if to grab my arm and I quickly stepped back, pulling away from
him. "Now you've assaulted me," I said. "I have lived here in
this town for the better part of two decades," I said firmly, "and
this is the first time in my experience I have been menaced by a
law officer."

"I am NOT 'menacing' you," he says.

He was so taken aback he went completely silent for a moment, then
said, "OK, move along then." Which I did, almost leaving in a
trot. Off he went in the other direction spinning his wheels and
screeching his tires.

It has been my experience, that if you are right and the judge or LEO
is not, you can usually prevail. However if you're wrong, there is a
good likelihood that arguing may provoke them to retribution.

But the individual so cowed by a mistaken or unjust authority figure
as to submit to intimidation (expressed or implied) in response to
mere rank or status, enables that figure to successfully perpetrate
their misguided assault.
Old March 10th 06, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote in
:

john smith wrote:
I have begun to question the respect due a judge given that judges have
become more politician-like in recent times.
They are now swayed by public opinion and private conversations,
disregarding the basic cannons of their trade.

Be that as it may, it's like arguing with a cop. No good can come from
it.

I've argued with a cop more than once and won every time. And I'm
not even a lawyer.

I've even given chase a few times and confronted them when I saw
THEM do something wrong.

Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?

Brian
Sed quis custodiet ipsos Custodes?
Old March 10th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:

john smith wrote:
I have begun to question the respect due a judge given that judges have
become more politician-like in recent times.
They are now swayed by public opinion and private conversations,
disregarding the basic cannons of their trade.

Be that as it may, it's like arguing with a cop. No good can come from it.
If you're smart, you'll show some respect whether you feel it or not, because
at least for that moment, the man has your life in his hands. You can show your
ass if you must, but be advised there's likely going to be a high price to be
paid for it. Only a stupid person tugs on Superman's cape.

As my old college roomate who was a law student explained to me,
"Everyone thinks the legislature makes the laws. That's wrong, the
judges make the laws because they are the ones that interpret them."
Old March 10th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Uh huh. And it's the lack of calling people to the mat for being an ass
that gets us the generation of authority hating, personality lacking brats
that we now seem to be dealing with. Lawyers make there living arguing
against personal responsibility...doesn't make it right.

jf

Old March 10th 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 9 Mar 2006 18:33:01 -0800, "
wrote in
.com::

****ing off a judge is never a good career move.

If the Judge finds a rational and correct argument infuriating, it is
he who has made a bad move.

From: " jls"
Newsgroups: rec.aviation.piloting
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 15:27:28 -0400

An aggressive cop stopped me in my quiet neighborhood a few months
ago and demanded ID. I was taking a late night walk in sweat
pants to burn off a few calories. I told him I didn't have any
ID and was in my own neighborhood not bothering anybody and
unaccustomed to being accosted by an officer pulling his cruiser
over into my path, blocking me. Then did he ever become hostile
and told me to take my hands out of my pockets. I did as he said
until they became cold and back into my pockets they went. This
time he threatened me with handcuffs and jail, and then he went
off the charts when my hands went back into their pockets. "Take
them out!" he snapped.

Once had a cop stop and ticket me and another driver for passing a stopped
school bus. It was a totally bogus citation. Went to court and won
followed by a visit to the next town board meeting, Presented the case to
the board after which mister cop was out of a job. Trouble is he probably
moved to another police department and is doing the samething.

Old March 10th 06, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote in message
oups.com...
Larry wrote:

How much respect do you have for the judges who tried O.J. and
Blake?

Not much, but how are they relevant to this conversation? I'm not real
familiar with the Blake trial, but the dog & pony show that was the OJ
trial was a farce IMHO.

A judge's job is meting out justice, not demanding respect. In any

event, publicly implying the defendant is stupid doesn't enhance
judicial respectability (even if it's true), and could be
characterized as verbal assault, IMO.

Agreed, (to an extent) but like I learned in the Army - if you can't
respect the individual you must at least respect their rank.

Not if they haven't earned the respect to go along with the rank.

Old March 10th 06, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

****ing off a judge is never a good career move.

If the Judge finds a rational and correct argument infuriating, it is

he who has made a bad move.

You lost me Larry, are you suggesting the drunk airplane thief's
actions were rational and correct? That IS what this post was based
on..

Old March 10th 06, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Not if they haven't earned the respect to go along with the rank

Doesn't work that way in the military, Dave. Believe me, I've run into
a few a-holes that I couldn't stand in the army but maintaining
discipline in the military requires a respect for higher rank. Even if
the person wearing the rank is not worthy of it. (One of the reasons I
got out after 6 years)

Old March 10th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 10 Mar 2006 06:06:48 -0800, "
wrote in
.com::

Not if they haven't earned the respect to go along with the rank

Doesn't work that way in the military

Fortunately we're not living under military rule (yet).