Collings Foundation B24 and B17

Old April 20th 05, 05:32 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

Default Collings Foundation B24 and B17

The Collings Foundation will be stopping by French Valley Airport 4/20
through 4/22. I can not wait to go see the planes! I was really
surprised to learn they will be coming to the local airport. This is
a first! I have seen the B17 before, but never the B24.

I am excited to go by and tour both aircraft. One of my grandfathers
was a B24 pilot in the 450th BG during WWII and the other grandfather
was a bombardier on a B17 which was shot down. (He was a resident of
Salig Luft I for 2 years) Both of the planes are very dear to me. It
is unfortunate I will not be able to go for a flight, but jest seeing
these machines will brighten my day.

Tomorrow they will be doing a few evening flights so I will be at the
airport watching these machines roar down the runway. What an awesome
sight that will be! I hope to get some good pictures to post. Stay
tuned!

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
See my online aerial photo album at
http://flying.4alexanders.com
Old April 20th 05, 08:02 AM
Jay Beckman

"Mike 'Flyin'8'" wrote in message
[...]

If anyone else is in the area, I highly reccomend you find the time to go
see these two magnificent aircraft.

They've made stops in the Phoenix area before and I've never tired of just
gaping at them...awesome site up close..even more so in the air.

Jay B

Old April 20th 05, 03:25 PM
William W. Plummer

Jay Beckman wrote:
[...]

You can sign up for a ride in one or both of these planes. But you have
to reserve in advance because they are always over subscribed. I really
enjoyed the B-24 two years ago.
Old April 21st 05, 12:18 AM
aluckyguess

Just got back from F70 went there for lunch got to see both planes land.
They really are awesome planes.

Old April 21st 05, 05:20 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

Ah... same here. I went at 5pm and stayed for about an hour and a
half. Spent a few minutes talking to the pilots. How cool is that to
fly a B24 or a B17 for a job. I will be going back over there
tomorrow for lunch, then after work tomorrow night. I MUST see these
machines fly.

I took about 40 pictures and posted them on my flying website. a
large number of the came out really nice. Stop by and check them out
if you get a chance. Unfortunate all of them are of the planes on the
ground. Still got some good clear shots.

Old April 21st 05, 11:24 AM
Dave S

That B24 is the only one left flying in the world.. I had the pleasure
of climbing all through it a few weeks ago when it was in Houston (as
well as the 17).

Their tour schedule is on the web:
http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_schedule-wof.htm

It's going to spend a LOT of time on the "Left Coast"

Dave

Old April 21st 05, 02:30 PM
Jay Honeck

I took about 40 pictures and posted them

Nice pix, Mike!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old April 21st 05, 03:43 PM

"Jay Honeck" wrote:
I took about 40 pictures and posted them

Nice pix, Mike!

Thanks Jay. It is unfortunate that I do not have enough web space to post
the original un-compressed pictures of all my stuff. They look so much
better.

I am still hopeful to get some shots of these warbirds in the air.
crossed fingers

--
Mike Flyin'8
PP-ASEL
Old April 22nd 05, 04:04 AM
Mike 'Flyin'8'

Went back out to the airport tonight to get more shots of the B24 and
B17 in action...

Captured about 6 videos.... and 80 pictures... put them online if
anyone is interested... Got a really nice clip of the B17 takeoff,
taxi in, taxi out...

Also a good clip of the B24 taxi back.... it hit the tip of the wing
on a light pole during taxi back... OOPS... Very minor damage... The
guy directing the plane was REALLY bummed out after that...

Anyway... Videos and pictures are online for you to check out!

Enjoy