ASK 21 in Cobra trailer single or double axle?

Old June 18th 09, 07:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Karaka

Default ASK 21 in Cobra trailer single or double axle?

I would like to gauge the desirability of ordering a single or double
axles on an ASK 21 Cobra trailer with the likelihood that cars smaller
than SUV's would be towing.
Old June 18th 09, 09:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

Karaka wrote:
I would like to gauge the desirability of ordering a single or double
axles on an ASK 21 Cobra trailer with the likelihood that cars smaller
than SUV's would be towing.

In Europe nearly everybody uses single axis. Much less hassle.
Old June 18th 09, 11:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

John Smith schrieb:
Karaka wrote:
I would like to gauge the desirability of ordering a single or double
axles on an ASK 21 Cobra trailer with the likelihood that cars smaller
than SUV's would be towing.

In Europe nearly everybody uses single axis. Much less hassle.

Oops. Axle, of course. :-)
Old June 18th 09, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathon May[_2_]

I bought a single axle cobra for our Duo at 580kg and it tows well behind a
3 series bmw,but the friction hitch is worth buying.

Old June 18th 09, 06:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andy[_9_]

On Jun 17, 11:25*pm, Karaka wrote:
I would like to gauge the desirability of ordering a single or double
axles on an ASK 21 Cobra trailer with the likelihood that cars smaller
than SUV's would be towing.

1 axle is better IMHO because:

You don't need 2 axles for load bearing
2 axles = 2x the tires to worry about
2 axle rigs tend to push the tow vehicle around a bit more and can
have funky ride dynamics - especially for small vehicles - at least in
my antiquated experience
2 axle rigs are a bit tougher to push around by hand
You generally have to pay for a second axle

9B
Old June 18th 09, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KevinFinke

At our club we have a pair of DG1000S, and one has a Cobra single
axle, and the other is a Cobra Double axle. The guy who owns the
double axle, wishes he had bought the single. I use a Saab 9-5 and it
tows just fine. I think Andy summed it up best. One axle is half the
trouble of 2 and you don't need it for load capability.
Old June 18th 09, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce

KevinFinke wrote:
At our club we have a pair of DG1000S, and one has a Cobra single
axle, and the other is a Cobra Double axle. The guy who owns the
double axle, wishes he had bought the single. I use a Saab 9-5 and it
tows just fine. I think Andy summed it up best. One axle is half the
trouble of 2 and you don't need it for load capability.

For my sins I have two trailers.

The single axle tows nice and easy behind a 1.6l hatch. The twin axle
progeny of beelzebub pushes my XC70 around. Funky handling indeed.

The twin axle has maybe 100kg more to carry, but weighs 300kg more
because of - you guessed it - that axle and pair of wheels.
It is a pain to move by hand, impossible with one person, whereas the
single axle trailer is a single hand operation.

Currently working on ways to convert to a single axle...
Old June 19th 09, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Craig Lowrie

At 18:50 18 June 2009, Bruce wrote:
KevinFinke wrote:
At our club we have a pair of DG1000S, and one has a Cobra single
axle, and the other is a Cobra Double axle. The guy who owns the
double axle, wishes he had bought the single. I use a Saab 9-5 and it
tows just fine. I think Andy summed it up best. One axle is half the
trouble of 2 and you don't need it for load capability.

For my sins I have two trailers.

The single axle tows nice and easy behind a 1.6l hatch. The twin axle
progeny of beelzebub pushes my XC70 around. Funky handling indeed.

The twin axle has maybe 100kg more to carry, but weighs 300kg more
because of - you guessed it - that axle and pair of wheels.
It is a pain to move by hand, impossible with one person, whereas the
single axle trailer is a single hand operation.

Currently working on ways to convert to a single axle...

Single axle is better for all the reasons stated on this thread. If you
want to save some money I would recommend that you look at the Swan
Trailer. We have one for our DG505 and it has been great... the people
very helpful and it tows great. I understand that the same trailer will
fit a K21 with some fitting adjustment. I have no commercial connection
with Swan and have a Cobra for my Dg800... but for a club, where price it
a bigger consideration (and often the glider is rigged in the Hangar
anyway), then the Swan make good sense.

Craig Lowrie, UK

Cobra Trailer - U.S. Axle? Mitch Soaring 8 March 2nd 07 09:16 PM
Double scissor jack for trailer ramp? Bullwinkle Soaring 15 January 18th 06 05:18 PM
Cobra Brake Parts or Axle WDM Soaring 1 October 11th 04 05:09 AM
37 Degree Single vs Double Flared Tubing Craig Foster Home Built 1 July 21st 04 03:24 PM
Single vs Double flared tubing Craig Foster Home Built 1 July 19th 04 02:53 AM