A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

For those who fly the LX90XO

Old November 19th 15, 05:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default For those who fly the LX90XO

Regarding PowerFLARM info, would you feel more comfortable having the addition of a LXNAV FlarmView? Or, do you think the LX90X0 and whichever LX vario you have presents all the PowerFLARM info you need?
Old November 20th 15, 09:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 6:29:10 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Regarding PowerFLARM info, would you feel more comfortable having the addition of a LXNAV FlarmView? Or, do you think the LX90X0 and whichever LX vario you have presents all the PowerFLARM info you need?

I have no additional display and I'm happy with that. Warnings are voice and shown in the V9 vario display.
Old November 20th 15, 10:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff
external usenet poster

I had an existing LX Flarm display, so elected to use that. Leaves the
display less cluttered on the V9.

Would not go and buy one separately though.

On 2015-11-20 11:24, wrote:
On Thursday, November 19, 2015 at 6:29:10 PM UTC+1, wrote:

I have no additional display and I'm happy with that. Warnings are voice and shown in the V9 vario display.

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771
Old November 20th 15, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I use an S8 vario as my standalone, 'get home when all else fails' unit. When not tasked for that function, I leave it on Flarm overview and set to display Flarm warnings. Being mounted top of panel, It puts the warnings as close as possible to line of sight and leaves the LX9070 uncluttered. That's not to say Flarm warnings only being displayed on an LX90X0 unit is a bad thing. The unit is totally fit to for purpose, though the voice warnings can be annunciated a little slow.

CJ
Old November 21st 15, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

On Thursday, 19 November 2015 17:29:10 UTC, wrote:

I have a Butterfly display with an LX 9000. I like having the always on radar style display of any Flarm contacts without cluttering the LX 9000. My vario is a V9, but even if I had a V8/V80 I think I would prefer to keep that as a straightforward vario. So I would choose to have a dedicated Flarm display unless my LX was a 9070, in which case I think the screen is big enough to have a Flarm radar display on every page.
Old November 21st 15, 02:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

I flew this summer with an S80. Very good Flarm display and warnings.
I also fly with SeeYou on an Oudie and it displays alarms very well also
Old November 21st 15, 03:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford
external usenet poster

I use LX 9000 and V9 with no other Flarm display and I find that it gives me all the details that I need and I have no use for a separate Flarm display.

I did turn off the Flarm voice warnings because as someone else mentioned, they were a little long and I found they interfered with the vario tones.

I have been flying with this setup since 2012 and much prefer it to the Butterfly display that is installed in all of my club's gliders.
Old November 22nd 15, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
waremark
external usenet poster

So how do you show Flarm on your LX9000? D of you have a Flarm radar display on your screen all the time?
Old November 22nd 15, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford
external usenet poster

Correct,

LX9000 map screen shows all gliders received by the flarm in their correct location with respect to you. You can colour code the flarm targets based on height so you know which targets are above, below or within a couple of hundred feet of your altitude. These similar altitude targets are potential "threats".

You can also set the 9000 to display a small banner with clock screen on the main screen when warnings or alerts are presented by the flarm.

The V5/V9 vario can also be set to display the flarm clock when warnings or alerts are issued.

The voice module can give audible alerts giving bearing distance and relative altitude for alerts. There are long messages and short messages that can be selected. If you have loaded the flarmnet data, or previously identified the flarm with a contest ID, then the voice module will issue a warning such as "Zulu Zulu two o'clock"