UA 246

Old October 3rd 17, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mic pilot

Default UA 246

I posted this in another thread, but think this needs some new air.

It seems like this incident took place near teddy intersection at approx. 7000 msl? That’s just a really bad place to fly if you’re not talking to ATC, with or without a transponder. Teddy is major point on the JVL8 arrival into ORD and has a mandatory crossing altitude of....7000 msl!
The flight aware track is deceiving because the jet does a few turns over Janesville at 10000msl but that’s not where the conflict took place. It was SE of JVL at 7000msl when the jet had to climb to miss an aircraft..

As glider pilots we really need to know where the jet/turbo/prop traffic is and not go there unless you are in contact with ATC. Look up all the major airports you fly near on Airnav.com. Read about the runways, the STAR arrivals, also frequencies, and phone numbers are helpful. You can download PDF copies of STARS.
Then on your flights, if the lift takes you near a busy intersection at the altitude used, call ATC. If you’re well below the traffic, maybe just listen? However, know that if you have a transponder and don’t call, you are causing a lot of chatter on a busy frequency. They will all be trying to figure out what you’re doing.
If you have a moving map, even an iPhone will work, input the intersections and altitudes to help remind you. Or just do some planning and use maps.Google.com and type in the lat/long of the intersections.
A little planning is all it takes, maybe a phone call to ATC to help figure out the local "hot spots", could go along way plus its free.
Old October 3rd 17, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
mic pilot

So just to add a little bit more to this. Also, not trying to be critical here, it could happen to anyone.

www.airnav.com site is an awesome site. If you type in your nearby busy airport, then scroll down until you see “Sectional chart” on the right and click on the graphic. A box on the top left will allow you to toggle to any type of map, IFR WAC, SEC, but leave it on the default which is Hybrid VFR. Then find your glider port and zoom all the way down. It may surprise you (it did me) that there is little B747 jets at the offending intersections, and the altitudes listed near the glider symbols.

There is a jet at teddy intersection and 7000-17000 is noted. Traffic would have been higher up to 17000 msl if the winds were such that KORD was landing to the West that day.
Old October 4th 17, 01:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

When I followed your advice about zooming in on the hybrid chart I saw the jet symbol with the number two engine just about touching the top of the diamond surrounding the G for glider activity. If I'm reading it right, the traffic will be at or above 11,000' - an altitude rarely, if ever, reached by our gliders. Being right on the edge of class B, all club ships are transponder equipped and our relationship with ATC is a good one.
Old October 4th 17, 03:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Airliners arriving at Albuquerque (KABQ) from the east generally fly
withing a mile or two south of Moriarty (0E0) at 14,000' MSL.* This is a
routine altitude for gliders at Moriarty.* On one occasion I climbed to
17,000' right off tow before departing the area. Transponders are a good
thing here.

--
Dan, 5J