Plastic razor blades for removing tape/glue residue

Old October 6th 17, 09:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Philip van de Donk

Default Plastic razor blades for removing tape/glue residue

On Wednesday, October 4, 2017 at 3:35:33 PM UTC+2, wrote:
What in the world is "White Spirit?"
Turpentine?
White gas?
100% ethanol?
Naphtha?
Toluene?
Methylcyclohexane?
Acetone?

In my native language (Dutch) it is called wasbenzine. In German Waschbenzin.

I found some alternative translations:
cleaning spirit ; cleaning fluid ; dry-cleaning naphta

But if you want to try acetone to clean off tape residue from your glider, please go ahead. Works great on plexiglass canopies as well! :P

Old October 6th 17, 01:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

But if you want to try acetone to clean off tape residue from your glider, please go ahead. Works great on plexiglass canopies as well! :P

Note that the statement about using acetone on plexiglass was meant to be sarcastic. NEVER use a solvent on plexiglass! It removes residue, all right, but then the plastic will craze, get brittle and crack, thus relieving you of all the extra cash cluttering up your bank account.
Old October 6th 17, 04:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Every single chemical mentioned here is a solvent.
Water is a solvent.
We must use specific, accurate words here.

My life lesson in aviation in the same vein was to do with aerobatics.
Flick roll, quick roll, snap roll, fast roll ?

Old October 6th 17, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

LOL.......while possibly sad to have to put in a disclaimer, "one never knows, do one?".
Sorta hard to see intonation or body language in a forum post.......

I can see someone missing your post, then coming on here later and asking, "so, I read a post about acetone on my canopy. Flooded it with acetone, stuff came right off, then it smeared and stuck my rag to it. Can't see through it well and there are thousands of little cracks, what do I do now?".