A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

removing mylars at every annual?

Old October 10th 17, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

Default removing mylars at every annual?

On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 2:44:15 PM UTC-7, Tom Kelley #711 wrote:
On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 3:20:13 PM UTC-6, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Tuesday, October 10, 2017 at 2:10:23 PM UTC-7, krasw wrote:
If you have proper sealing, teflon tape under mylar, it is not possible to lubricate hinges. Use upper mylar to prevent water or dust entering hinge. Change everything after 3-5 years and lubricate using grease, not anything that comes out of spray can as it is only cosmetics.

Sure you can, if you want to, you stick a large hypodermic needle thought the teflon barrier tape and apply oil from a syringe.

Hmmmm.........you might want to check your bottoms!

Best. Tom #711

PS glad your not Doctor giving me a shot!

Tom when you eventually make it out to CA I can demonstrate how to apply an oil injection. You'll hardly feel it.
Old October 11th 17, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, 11 October 2017 00:20:13 UTC+3, Darryl Ramm wrote:
If you have proper sealing, teflon tape under mylar, it is not possible to lubricate hinges. Use upper mylar to prevent water or dust entering hinge. Change everything after 3-5 years and lubricate using grease, not anything that comes out of spray can as it is only cosmetics.

Sure you can, if you want to, you stick a large hypodermic needle thought the teflon barrier tape and apply oil from a syringe.

Hole in airtight seal, interesting.
Old October 11th 17, 08:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 12:23:59 AM UTC-7, krasw wrote:

Oh no, a few hypodermic needle holes. Maybe the massive bleeding of air though those tiny holes will affect the handling, and the gliders will fall out the sky.... it's amazing whole fleets of gliders maintained in this way have not fallen out of the sky, or had any other apparent problems...

Old October 11th 17, 11:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, 11 October 2017 10:49:37 UTC+3, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Oh no, a few hypodermic needle holes. Maybe the massive bleeding of air though those tiny holes will affect the handling, and the gliders will fall out the sky.... it's amazing whole fleets of gliders maintained in this way have not fallen out of the sky, or had any other apparent problems...

Well why seal at all then, the glider flies perfectly well anyway?
Old October 11th 17, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 6:26:36 AM UTC-4, krasw wrote:
On Wednesday, 11 October 2017 10:49:37 UTC+3, Darryl Ramm wrote:

Well why seal at all then, the glider flies perfectly well anyway?

My wing ends up with 2 holes at each hinge, made with a sharp 20 gauge needle.
These holes mostly close back up anyway. Given that they are on the high pressure side of the wing, underneath a close fitting wiper seal, I doubt that a meaningful affect on performance results.
This is a well proven technique.
UH
Old October 11th 17, 02:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

It's pretty early for the annual winter discussion/argument about spray lubricants, but what the hell.........
After retiring from the AF, I took the GI bill and antended Sacramento City College who offered a 2 year program in aeronautics leading to an AA degree and an A&P license. Their aero club flew a fleet of light aircraft and the students maintained them. What lubricant was taught and used? Good old WD-40! The thinking was that a brief shot would loosen old grease and any over spray would soon evaporate. I have several long tube setups to allow a brief shot of lube into hard to get to areas like all points on the landing gear and deep inside the fuselage or way inside the wing. How do you "oil only" guys lube these areas?
Flame suit on,
JJ
Old October 11th 17, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 9:59:14 AM UTC-4, wrote:
It's pretty early for the annual winter discussion/argument about spray lubricants, but what the hell.........
After retiring from the AF, I took the GI bill and antended Sacramento City College who offered a 2 year program in aeronautics leading to an AA degree and an A&P license. Their aero club flew a fleet of light aircraft and the students maintained them. What lubricant was taught and used? Good old WD-40! The thinking was that a brief shot would loosen old grease and any over spray would soon evaporate. I have several long tube setups to allow a brief shot of lube into hard to get to areas like all points on the landing gear and deep inside the fuselage or way inside the wing. How do you "oil only" guys lube these areas?
Flame suit on,
JJ

I use syringes with several different needles, the longest is a spinal needle about 6 inches long. Lets me get pretty much wherever I need to get. Needles also allow working oil inside felt seals. To loosen stuff up I like a 50-50 mix of light oil(20 weight) and Marvel Mystery Oil. Does a pretty good job of softening up old goo. Also use WD-40 as a clean up fluid, but not as a lubricant. WD-40 leaves a film coating which is what it was originally created for. WD= Water Displacement. Really good for corrosion prevention in metal ships.
Mostly my message is don't spray **** all over.
FWIW
UH
Old October 11th 17, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

WD 40 is the 40th formula tried for Water Displacement (i.e., anti-rust), It is kerosene and perfume, not a lubricant. Tri-flow is a is a great lubricant for aileron hinges, or lead-lag hinges on helicopters.

On Wednesday, October 11, 2017 at 6:59:14 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Flame suit on,
JJ