Discus b versus Discus CS

Old November 1st 17, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Discus b versus Discus CS

I've read that the Discus b and Discus CS are "identical" except that the CS is manufactured under license in Czech Republic. Both are, of course, available in the used-glider-market. Are there any differences in reliability, manufacturing qualty, etc that would favor one over the other?

Tom
Old November 1st 17, 08:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

As well as building the Discus the Czech SH factory builds other gliders for them - all Duos were being built there and then fitted out in Germany when we got one in 2001. Earlier I had a half share in a German built Discus BT that, after being broken by a partner, ended up with a new Czech wing and the older German one. The only difference was a slight difference in the spar stub GRP colour.

There was a major issue around 15 years ago when some Czech built wing spars were found to have inadequately bonded top caps and there was a big program of internal inspection and repairs if indicated. Assuming that any Discus CS from that era had the inspection done and recorded properly then I wouldn't have any other concern about relative original build quality of B and CS models.

The CS was offered with some standard features that were optional on Bs - the main one being a tilting panel which is a very desirable.

Old November 1st 17, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 6:48:54 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I've read that the Discus b and Discus CS are "identical" except that the CS is manufactured under license in Czech Republic. Both are, of course, available in the used-glider-market. Are there any differences in reliability, manufacturing qualty, etc that would favor one over the other?

Tom

Thanks jpg, very helpful.

Tom
Old November 1st 17, 05:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kevin Neave[_2_]

For the last few years of production most of (all?) the Discus b gliders
were built in Czech republic anyway (S/N 551+).

Our Discus bT has a German Fus and Czech wings.
The Gelcoat on the wings is in far better condition than the fuselage

Regards

=
available in the used-glider-market. Are there any differences in
reliabil=
ity, manufacturing qualty, etc that would favor one over the other?
=20
Tom

Thanks jpg, very helpful.

Tom

Old November 2nd 17, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 6:48:54 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I've read that the Discus b and Discus CS are "identical" except that the CS is manufactured under license in Czech Republic. Both are, of course, available in the used-glider-market. Are there any differences in reliability, manufacturing qualty, etc that would favor one over the other?

Tom

I'm a little confused here - is the CS the same design as the earlier Discus, or later Discus 2?
Old November 2nd 17, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Thursday, November 2, 2017 at 2:14:24 PM UTC-5, Jeff Morgan wrote:

I'm a little confused here - is the CS the same design as the earlier Discus, or later Discus 2?

Early Discus, Jeff. The CS is different manufacture of the Discus B.

Old November 2nd 17, 08:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, October 31, 2017 at 9:48:54 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I've read that the Discus b and Discus CS are "identical" except that the CS is manufactured under license in Czech Republic. Both are, of course, available in the used-glider-market. Are there any differences in reliability, manufacturing qualty, etc that would favor one over the other?

Tom

No meaningful difference except CS likely to be newer. But the best example you can find of either one.
UH

Discus 2b versus LS-6c [email protected] Soaring 14 September 20th 17 01:31 PM
304 versus Discus B Del Jensen Soaring 7 March 2nd 17 01:19 AM
Discus verus Discus 2, LS8, ASW 28 Roger Soaring 45 October 31st 06 03:43 PM
Discus CS and Duo Discus Wing Inspections Nolaminar Soaring 0 October 24th 03 01:15 AM
[LBA] Schempp-Hirth - Discus bT - Discus Frederic FUCHS Soaring 0 September 17th 03 08:42 AM