Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?

Old July 20th 17, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Buying a 1-35 pros and cons?

Did you ever sell your 1:35?
Old July 20th 17, 11:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Boise Pilot

On Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 2:13:28 PM UTC-6, Tim Weston wrote:
Does anyone have any inside info on the pros / cons of buying a 1-35. I am interested in learning cross country. I am mostly looking to hear from any current or former 1-35 owners.

Thanks,
Tim W

Tim,
I owned a 1-35C for a number of years, it was my first glider. I trained on spoiler ships -Blanik & SGS 2-32. Yes my first landing was exciting and a few after were part of the learning curve but after that I found it easy to fly and land - extremely short distances... I did up through my silver and one diamond before I sold it. Mine was a later addition so it did not have the talked about, two part flap handle. The one handle with detentes and an adjustable range during landing worked great. I flew then and still do, in Idaho where thermals are strong and high. Yes, it took me a bit longer to get where all the fancy plastic guys went but I found it nice to fly and performance was what one would expect for a metal ship. It was an easy transition to my next glider a Mosquito. Tom
Old August 2nd 17, 08:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Is the 1-35 still for sale?
Dave
Old August 2nd 17, 11:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

There's a 1-35 for sale near Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I can put you in contact with the owner, if you wish.
Old November 5th 17, 02:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm a high-time CFI-G who goes way back (got my CFI at 19 in 1970) and has flow a lot of gliders, currently own a Discus B and a Ka-6CR.

I like the 1-35, recommend it with some qualifications to any soaring pilot who flies in weaker-condition soaring, and is looking for a good 15-20 k$ sailplane. You do need to learn how to handle flaps. There is a very simple drill for this: go find a pilot (preferably CFI), who has access to a Cessna 150 (not 152). Doesn't matter whether it's got electric flaps or Johnson bar. Go through the following drill: flying at 80 kts run the flaps down to full and back up while you maintain 80 kts. You will be amazed at how nose-down you are at full flaps. Do this drill until it is natural. This closely approximates what any of the full-flapped gliders feel like to land in terms of pitch angle vs flap settings on approach.

Good points about the 1-35:

low wing-loading empty, very good weak-condition performer. Good club/sport class ship in weaker soaring areas. With water, flies pretty well in strong conditions

Once you learn to fly it, can land extremely short, handle rough field conditions

Strong, safe

Bad points: Roll-rate is a bit slow. You'll start to lust for a Pik 20-B, that isn't much more expensive and has considerably higher performance.
Old May 14th 19, 01:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old May 14th 19, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 2:13:28 PM UTC-6, wrote:
Does anyone have any inside info on the pros / cons of buying a 1-35. I am interested in learning cross country. I am mostly looking to hear from any current or former 1-35 owners.

Thanks,
Tim W

Hi,

I had one flight in a 1-35. It was loaned to me by a friend when my ASW-15 was in the custody of the Gehrlein brothers getting an annual. My friend said once the flaps are on when landing, just fly by airspeed regardless of the angle, when you get near the runway flare. I followed his advice and had a good landing after a very nice soaring flight. I think a 1-35 is a a good airplane especially at the end of the day when all you need to do is tie it down when landing after others are on the ground wresting with wings and putting planes in trailers. You get to pop your first beer along with the earlier arrivals, and start to lie about your magnificent flight.

George Frost, AKA Frosty the Towman
Old May 14th 19, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you can still find a clean 1-35 with proper wing profile, you need to treat it well. Easy to assemble for every flight.

Leave it out and the paint and bondo will fail.
Old May 28th 20, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 4:13:28 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Does anyone have any inside info on the pros / cons of buying a 1-35. I am interested in learning cross country. I am mostly looking to hear from any current or former 1-35 owners.

Thanks,
Tim W

You can tie it down outside
Old May 29th 20, 01:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If you find a clean one it's awesome. If it still has original Bondo profiling don't tie it down outside. I had a good one-man set-up and assembled for almost every flight for 10 years. No regrets.