XCSoar With LNAV?

Old March 16th 13, 08:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Max Kellermann[_2_]

Default XCSoar With LNAV?

On Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:27:31 AM UTC+1, wrote:
Max and XCSoar Team

[...]
Normally these 3 sentences are provided to the LNAV from the GPSNAV/303 combination.

So the L-Nav does not transmit NMEA, it expects to receive them?

We need to do something similar for the LXNAV V7 to get full feature support, the last tiny piece that is missing in XCSoar.

Yes, we could do that. Is there a ticket already? If not, please write one. And be ready to test our binaries. None of us has a L-Nav.
Maybe somebody out there has a spare one and likes to donate it to the XCSoar project? That is usually the best way to guarantee maximum compatibility.
Old March 16th 13, 10:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

At 08:04 16 March 2013, Max Kellermann wrote:
On Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:27:31 AM UTC+1,

wrote:
Max and XCSoar Team

[...]
Normally these 3 sentences are provided to the LNAV from

the GPSNAV/303
combination.

So the L-Nav does not transmit NMEA, it expects to receive

them?

We need to do something similar for the LXNAV V7 to get full

feature
support, the last tiny piece that is missing in XCSoar.

Yes, we could do that. Is there a ticket already? If not, please

write one.
And be ready to test our binaries. None of us has a L-Nav.
Maybe somebody out there has a spare one and likes to donate

it to the
XCSoar project? That is usually the best way to guarantee

maximum
compatibility.

We use GPS-NAV devices in combination with LX160. GPS-NAV
sends information also about the target, so with that LX160 can
be used as a final glide computer. At the moment we have made
the cabling so, that GPS-NAV sends NMEA to the RX of the
LX160, and TX of the LX160 send data to XCSoat over
Soartronic IOIO.

If we have a possibility to send NMEA data with GPS position and
target to devices like LX160 and VW921, they could use it for
their final glide calculation, build-in wind calculation, etc. Both
LX160 and VW921 can only send data to XCSoar, the receiving
side of the serial comm is used to listen external GPS source, like
GPS-NAV. Since the baudrate is same, should be relatively easy.
Maybe the NMEA our does that already, but cannot be
configured to send into the same port that is used for incoming
data.

Downloading logger data from GPS-NAV would be great! It is
really nice back-up logger with navigating display.

Old March 16th 13, 10:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kimmo Hytoenen

At 08:04 16 March 2013, Max Kellermann wrote:
On Saturday, March 16, 2013 6:27:31 AM UTC+1,

wrote:
Max and XCSoar Team

[...]

Old March 16th 13, 03:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Can't you read the wind from the LNAV/GPSNAV and manually input it into
XCSoar? Not realtime, but pretty close.

"Morgan" wrote in message
Hi Paul,

I don't have the time to develop the C+ skills to work on getting
communication working between the L-NAV and XCSoar right now so I probably
don't need the comm spec. I do know a pilot that has sent me something of
the sentence structure that the L-NAV uses when communicating with the GPS
Nav. I think that could possibly be used for getting data into XCSoar, but
I haven't seen what all it can support.

I actually am quite happy leaving them disconnected from each other at this
point. It allows me to leave XCSoar at a higher MC value or at least with a
larger polar degradation buffer and experiment with the L-Nav MC value for
more aggressive flying.

I do miss XCSoar having real-time wind info on a long glide though.

Morgan

On Friday, March 15, 2013 7:10:59 PM UTC-7, Paul Remde wrote:
Hi Morgan,

By "L-NAV" do you mean an L-NAV and GPS-NAV combination? The L-NAV does
not

send any data out to soaring flight software. It can send data to a

GPS-NAV. The GPS-NAV then sends the vario and GPS data out to the soaring

flight software.

I have the L-NAV and GPS-NAV dataport specification if you need it.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

__________________________

"Morgan" wrote in message

I have XCSoar running on a Dell Streak 5 and wanted to look into
connecting

to the L-Nav in my glider. I have an IOIO board, but I believe the real

problem is that the L-Nav doesn't use the same protocol as the 302.
XCSoar

essentially doesn't have the right driver for the L-Nav and so far none of

the developers have a need to configure a driver for the L-Nav or the

hardware to actually do it.

I suspect there are many potential users of that configuration, but it
will

take a user with the drive and the skillset to augment the XCSoar code
with

the necessary pieces to support the L-Nav.

Hans has some useful info on his website about connecting GPS data to an

L-Nav.

https://sites.google.com/site/threeuniform/lnav

Morgan

On Monday, March 11, 2013 8:04:08 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:

I just had a quick look behind one's panel but it doesn't look like

there's

any place to plug in the serial to Bluetooth device without unplugging

something else. Maybe the GPS control head...

"

On Monday, March 11, 2013 12:51:59 AM UTC+1, Dan Marotta wrote:

Can their Androids be interfaced to the LNAV via K6-BT or IOIO?

I have never used any of these products, but usually K6Bt and IOIO
works

just like a cable would.

Old March 16th 13, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Bill,

Do the files you've placed in your XCSoarData folder have the proper
suffixes (.sua, .cup., .txt, .xcm)?

Are you using the ConfigConfigSystemSite FilesSite Files process in the
XCSoar program?

I posted the following on google drive for a friend. Assuming you're
interested in the USA, here are the files to get you started:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B56G...EwMzdjMGc/edit - rename
this one All_USA.sua. This is your special use airspace for the entire US.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B56G...l5dGJhTWs/edit - rename
this one United_States.cup. This is all the turnpoints/airports in the USA.

You'll need to generate your own terrain map. Go to XCSoar.org and follow
the links to create and download a terrain map for your area.

Hope this helps.

"Bill T" wrote in message
I've picked up a new Android (Ice Crème Sandwich) phone (Galaxy
Stratosphere) and have installed the latest 6.5.1 XCSoar app. But I am not
having any luck getting the program to recognize the data files for
airspace, airports and turn points that I have loaded into the XCSoarData
folder.

I have been able to create two different glider profiles and can see them in
the XCSoarData folder.

Any ideas?

Bill T

On Sunday, March 10, 2013 4:51:59 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
I've got a couple of friends who have acquired Androids and installed

XCSoar. Both of their gliders have LNAV and GPS-NAV installed.

Can their Androids be interfaced to the LNAV via K6-BT or IOIO?

It was easy connecting with my 302 and K6-BT...

Dan, 5J

Old March 16th 13, 05:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Morgan[_2_]

Dan,

Yes, this is what I do if the situation warrants it, like wave or significant winds. Since I have the full L-NAV, GPS-NAV setup I can rely on that for final glide type info.

With 6+ of XCSoar, they really improved the easy of manual wind entry so you are correct, it's pretty trivial.

Morgan

Old March 17th 13, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Thanks Dan, I believe I have the correct suffixes, files I got from others in the club. Yes I am using the config program in XCSoar, but I'll check again.

I sent a note to get access to the googledocs files.

Bill

Old March 18th 13, 01:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Thanks Dan, got it up and running.
Although the CUP file name does not show in the file setup screen, the points appear to be there.
I was able to create a task on the android phone, Bluetooth upload task to LX Nano, and used the Nano GPS output on Bluetooth to drive XCSoar after I disabled the internal phone gps.

Bill
Old March 18th 13, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Glad to help, Bill.

I kept the internal GPS on the Streak enabled, but the second choice in
XCSoar. First choice is the K6BT and the CAI-302 driver. That way, should
the Bluetooth link drop, XCSoar will still run on the internal GPS. I can
also demonstrate the device or play with new releases without going to the
airport.

Old September 5th 17, 11:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jean dup

Hi all,

I am trying to set up a new system in my ship which consists of the following:
LX 160, Nano 4, Samsung Tab running XCSoar.
I would like to use the XCSoar as my PFD and would like to have the Nano GPS and Baro data on it as well as the LX160 Airspeed and TE.

Is this possible and how would the arrangement be?

Thanks a lot
Jean du Plessis

LPV versus LNAV/VNAV versus LNAV+V Wyatt Emmerich[_2_] Instrument Flight Rules 6 December 17th 07 01:38 AM
Almost an LNav Steve Leonard Soaring 0 October 16th 06 11:48 PM
Almost an LNAV Fish Soaring 0 October 16th 06 12:24 PM
LNAV preferable over LNAV/VNAV [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 4 October 16th 05 06:34 PM
LNav Gregg Leslie Soaring 1 May 22nd 05 06:23 AM