... or is that a glass panel in your pocket?

Old September 22nd 15, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default ... or is that a glass panel in your pocket?

On Saturday, September 19, 2015 at 9:18:56 PM UTC-4, Brian Whatcott wrote:
On 9/13/2015 10:01 AM, wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylgAfsjNgOQ

Nice.

---

I agree. They have taken care to stay with the 'no install' requirement
for certified airframes.
I fly with a 'non-installed' HP nav assistant which is a windows
device that I loaded with a moving map app from Approach Systems where a
database update costs $10. It also offers the primary flight display
similar to the Dynon one - but without AHRS, it depends entirely on GPS
for track, pitch turn altitude etc.
Brian Whatcott

Sounds good. Once I pulled out a smart phone and pulled
up the GPS when the river below me seemed to be winding in
the wrong direction. It set me straight.

I've been flying rental planes from different FBO's. You never
know what to expect. One day it might be a Czech Sport Cruiser
with glass, then a 172 or 150 without, then a CTLS with G1000,
then an antique Piper Cub.

Looks like I'm going to be flying the Diamond Da-20 pretty soon,
and it's 6 pack only. Hoping to stay with this one until maybe a
purchase. Given the state of advancements with portable EFIS
it seems practical to invest a few grand in a carry on system.

Maybe couple a Clarity Sagetech and I-Pad using WingX Pro 7,
integrate synthetic vision and pair with ADS-B weather.
That Dynon D2 Pocket Panel is super nice. It has built in WiFi and
connects with I-Pad, smart phones and tablets, and is compatable
with WingX Pro 7, AOPA FlyQ, Bendix/King myWingMan, iHUD remote,
and Air Navigation Pro.

Their ad (no I don't sell for them) says:

"The D1 and D2 utilize the same Dynon micro-machine-based attitude and heading reference system (AHRS) technology that's found in the avionics maker's panel-mount EFIS products for the experimental and light sport aircraft markets. Both portable units include artificial horizons with accurate pitch and roll, and can find the horizon even if turned on in flight. The AHRS sensors also drive a turn rate indicator and slip/skid ball. Included is an internal GPS receiver to display GPS ground speed, altitude, vertical speed, and ground track."

It looks like carrying your EFIS in the bag with your head-set is
turning out to be standard procedure. Well, anyway... I'm still tire
kicking. There are multiple possibilities.
---