A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Air exit vent with engine box?

Old November 23rd 15, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Default Air exit vent with engine box?

Am Freitag, 20. November 2015 04:01:49 UTC+1 schrieb Jonathan St. Cloud:
Was wondering if anyone has figured out a good air exit vent for a glider with an engine box i.e., ASG-29E, ASW-28E, ASW-24E, Nimbus 4T...

I've done that on my Ventus cM. The vents are placed in the small engine bay doors. Airflow is connected to the cockpit by two holes (approx. 1.5" each)in the wall separating the engine bay from the cockpit. I had checked with Schempp-Hirth first that this wall is not structural.

Does it help? No idea.
Old November 23rd 15, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult
external usenet poster

On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 7:50:10 PM UTC+3, Tango Whisky wrote:
Am Freitag, 20. November 2015 04:01:49 UTC+1 schrieb Jonathan St. Cloud:
Was wondering if anyone has figured out a good air exit vent for a glider with an engine box i.e., ASG-29E, ASW-28E, ASW-24E, Nimbus 4T...

I've done that on my Ventus cM. The vents are placed in the small engine bay doors. Airflow is connected to the cockpit by two holes (approx. 1.5" each)in the wall separating the engine bay from the cockpit. I had checked with Schempp-Hirth first that this wall is not structural.

Does it help? No idea.

!!!!

Is it noisy in gliding flight?

Does it increase engine noise? (perhaps not as I think the engine is on the mast with the doors closed when running?)

Is that not a firewall?
Old November 24th 15, 08:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Am Montag, 23. November 2015 17:58:58 UTC+1 schrieb Bruce Hoult:

Is it noisy in gliding flight?

It makes very little noise.

Does it increase engine noise? (perhaps not as I think the engine is on the mast with the doors closed when running?)

The engine is on a mast.

Is that not a firewall?

Why would an engine stowed away in the engine compartment catch fire?! And if it could, why is there no fire sensor installed? So no, it's not a fire wall.

Old November 24th 15, 06:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

The air extractor noise is a bit different to other sounds in flight, perhaps a quieter version of a gear door being open.

How strange. The vent should have nothing in common with an engine compartment.

Unfortunately, a casual attitude towards fuel in composite aircraft can end in tears. For example, ASH25M VH-GSI returned to Germany for a year and a half to get rebuilt.
After my friend's incident, I asked Rex Mayes to install a Safecraft extinguisher in my then ASH26E. It's likely the first fire extinguisher installed in SLSP and documented on the ASH26E Tech Pages, linked from the ASH26E/31Mi newsgroup.
There is a firewall, whether a good one or not. Definitely not if you drill holes in it.
Jim

On Tuesday, November 24, 2015 at 12:20:13 AM UTC-8, Tango Whisky wrote:

Is that not a firewall?

Why would an engine stowed away in the engine compartment catch fire?! And if it could, why is there no fire sensor installed? So no, it's not a fire wall.

Old November 24th 15, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bertvaneyken
external usenet poster

Jim, can you explain what happened to your friends glider? (to learn from)

In my Ventus cT the "firewall" is no firewall at all by design, it will never help stopping or containing a fire for more than a very very short moment. By design the fuel drain line comes into to engine box where a valve can be opened (manually) to drain the system via a hole through the box.

I really can imagine things catching fire when retracting a hot engine into that box, that's why I'm curious about the incident.
Old November 25th 15, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Jim, I don't see your point. My engine is operated on a mast.
Old November 25th 15, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS
external usenet poster

Bert, a fuel line snagged when the prop was extended.
Fuel leaked into the engine compartment.
The extinguisher was in the car at the side of the runway.

Schleicher has since changed their fuel line material. Schempp might still be using lines that are not aviation grade. They are not aviation grade on my club's Duo XT. Don't know about others.

TW, your fuel lines likely go through the engine compartment. After a leak a retracted engine could cause a fire.
Jim
Old November 25th 15, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky
external usenet poster

Am Mittwoch, 25. November 2015 06:55:20 UTC+1 schrieb JS:

Schleicher has since changed their fuel line material. Schempp might still be using lines that are not aviation grade. They are not aviation grade on my club's Duo XT. Don't know about others.

TW, your fuel lines likely go through the engine compartment. After a leak a retracted engine could cause a fire.
Jim

Jim,
the holes in my engine bay wall are covered with stainless steel mesh which would prevent flames leaking into the cockpit during the few minutes (seconds?)the engine bay wall hasn't burnt down (the expoxy burns quite well, and it's not even a sandwich structure), or the fire hasn't extended via the fuel lines which run underneath the seat pan.

And - if I specifically ask an engineer from Schempp-Hirth whether it's ok to drill these holes, and he tells me to go ahead, I tend to believe that he knows about the wall.

Cheers
Bert
(yes, TW's name is also Bert ;-))
Old November 25th 15, 03:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta
external usenet poster

Not a player in this debate, but curious just the same.

I'm trying to visualize where the fuel tank is that requires routing
fuel lines under the seat pan to get to the engine bay. The engine bay
is aft of the wing, isn't it? Where's the fuel carried?

On 11/25/2015 12:57 AM, Tango Whisky wrote:
Am Mittwoch, 25. November 2015 06:55:20 UTC+1 schrieb JS:

Jim

Jim,
the holes in my engine bay wall are covered with stainless steel mesh which would prevent flames leaking into the cockpit during the few minutes (seconds?)the engine bay wall hasn't burnt down (the expoxy burns quite well, and it's not even a sandwich structure), or the fire hasn't extended via the fuel lines which run underneath the seat pan.

And - if I specifically ask an engineer from Schempp-Hirth whether it's ok to drill these holes, and he tells me to go ahead, I tend to believe that he knows about the wall.

Cheers
Bert
(yes, TW's name is also Bert ;-))

--
Dan, 5J

Old November 25th 15, 03:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]
external usenet poster

I'm trying to visualize where the fuel tank is that requires routing
fuel lines under the seat pan to get to the engine bay.* The engine
bay is aft of the wing, isn't it?* Where's the fuel carried?

I'm guessing the pilot wants a cut-off available; if you have multiple tanks (wing tanks), you also have to be able to switch tanks...