Instrument Panel Color

Old November 23rd 15, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Instrument Panel Color

What is the reason that most instrument panels are black ? is it to reduce reflection ? I have a white panel I want to use.
Dan
Old November 23rd 15, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 3:05:03 PM UTC-5, wrote:
What is the reason that most instrument panels are black ? is it to reduce reflection ? I have a white panel I want to use.
Dan

Perfect way to have a heads up display when everything is reflected in the canopy is to use white.
Reflections are the reason for black mostly.
UH
Old November 23rd 15, 10:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

I hate it when someone paints the panel white. Don't do it. It is dangerous. There is a reason panels and instruments are black and also the noses of fighters.

Boggs
Old November 23rd 15, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 4:55:43 PM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
I hate it when someone paints the panel white. Don't do it. It is dangerous. There is a reason panels and instruments are black and also the noses of fighters.

Boggs

Ok, I'll bite.

Most panels in US military jets are gray, not black. Most current fighter noses (I assume you mean radomes) are also gray. Many early radomes had black rubber/plastic coatings that couldn't be painted - newer ones come in matching colors.

Oddly, panels in the latest F-15K (for Korea) and F-15SG (Singapore) are black - and trust me, it's ugly.

Russian jets tend to have an odd turquoise color panels. And Boeing airliners are an odd brown.

My panel is gray (primer color) and works just fine.

Kirk
66
Old November 23rd 15, 11:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 5:43:35 PM UTC-6, kirk.stant wrote:
On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 4:55:43 PM UTC-6, Waveguru wrote:
I hate it when someone paints the panel white. Don't do it. It is dangerous. There is a reason panels and instruments are black and also the noses of fighters.

Boggs

Ok, I'll bite.

Most panels in US military jets are gray, not black. Most current fighter noses (I assume you mean radomes) are also gray. Many early radomes had black rubber/plastic coatings that couldn't be painted - newer ones come in matching colors.

Oddly, panels in the latest F-15K (for Korea) and F-15SG (Singapore) are black - and trust me, it's ugly.

Russian jets tend to have an odd turquoise color panels. And Boeing airliners are an odd brown.

My panel is gray (primer color) and works just fine.

Kirk
66

And having read your post a little closer, I assume you are talking about the anti-glare panels on unpainted or white planes. Good point. The key is that the paint be flat - a glossy black can be just as reflective as glossy white!

Kirk
66
Old November 24th 15, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Go for it, and enjoy!

I've had panels that were black, grey, and sky blue and all were just
fine. The overhang of your glare shield will block most, if not all of
the reflections. If it doesn't work out the way you like, simply
repaint it. Ignore the safety nazis who want you to do everything their
way "in the name of safety".

--
Dan, 5J

Old November 24th 15, 09:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

On Monday, 23 November 2015 22:05:03 UTC+2, wrote:
What is the reason that most instrument panels are black ? is it to reduce reflection ? I have a white panel I want to use.
Dan

New glider panels are mostly with grey matte Nextel paint (with exceptions, of course).
Old November 24th 15, 02:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, November 23, 2015 at 3:46:12 PM UTC-8, kirk.stant wrote:
[...]

Ok I'll bite . Not sure if Boggs was making the distinction between black and grey... Anyway, wouldn't a "flat white" panel be much worse than a flat grey or flat black? I can't think of a single airplane that has a white panel of any kind. I can't even wear a light colored shirt in my non-tinted canopy glider, the glare drives me absolutely nuts. I now wear black, grey or dark blue or similar.
Old November 24th 15, 02:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:

What is the reason that most instrument panels are black ? is it to reduce reflection ? I have a white panel I want to use.
Dan

--

Dan, 5J

The original post was inquiring whether or not to use a white panel, is anyone actually recommending that he go ahead and do that?
Old November 24th 15, 03:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

I do! If it doesn't work out for him he can always repaint it. If
that's too much trouble, simply cut out a panel shape from white paper
and tape it in place. Sit in the glider with the canopy down on a sunny
day and have a friend rotate the glider around a complete circle. That
won't account for bank beyond a wing on the ground, but will give him a
good idea if it will work for him.

BTW, in the summer, I only wear white shirts and it's never been a
problem. I wear darker clothes in the colder months and glare is more
of a problem then, but it's the lower sun angle, not the color of my
clothes. Check the ramp at a contest and tally what everyone's
wearing. I'm not suggesting that contest pilots know what's best to
wear, just that there are more of them in one location at one time so
you'll have a better sample.

My personal opinion of a white panel is that it will be too bright with
the sun over the pilot's shoulder and will make it harder to read the
instruments. Softer, non-gloss colors will provide better contrast, I
think.

wrote:

What is the reason that most instrument panels are black ? is it to reduce reflection ? I have a white panel I want to use.
Dan

--

Dan, 5J

The original post was inquiring whether or not to use a white panel, is anyone actually recommending that he go ahead and do that?

--
Dan, 5J

ASW 19 Instrument Panel CAD Drawing Jonathan Phillips Soaring 11 July 18th 18 10:56 PM
PIK-20D Instrument panel Solo Soaring 5 February 15th 09 06:50 PM
Instrument Panel ccwillwerth Home Built 7 February 9th 06 02:15 PM
DG-300 instrument panel [email protected] Soaring 14 January 29th 06 02:48 PM
LS 6 b instrument panel John Brenann Soaring 4 November 19th 05 04:37 AM