Looping a 152

Old December 17th 15, 04:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Looping a 152

Well I guess bob Hoover was also a moron. He looped amd rolled everything he flew and also said any airplane could be rolled or looped as long as the g limits of the plane wasn't exlxceeded. And the positive g for the 150/152 is 4 g's im sure he didn't exceeded them. I have a 150h and I haven't looped or rolled it but I have done rolls,loops, and hammer heads in an RV6 and entered the loop at around 200 and pulled pretty hard going into the loop and never even hit the 2g mark and on rolling the rv never got above 1.5 g's and the most of that was pulled coming out of the roll. It isn't legal to roll a 150 or 152 that isn't an aero bat but it's perfectly safe as long as you don't mess up. If you do then your in trouble because you don't have that 2g cushion that an aerobat has and yes you will probably die
Old December 17th 15, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_3_]

On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at 10:55:13 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Well I guess bob Hoover was also a moron. He looped amd rolled everything he flew and also said any airplane could be rolled or looped as long as the g limits of the plane wasn't exlxceeded. And the positive g for the 150/152 is 4 g's im sure he didn't exceeded them. I have a 150h and I haven't looped or rolled it but I have done rolls,loops, and hammer heads in an RV6 and entered the loop at around 200 and pulled pretty hard going into the loop and never even hit the 2g mark and on rolling the rv never got above 1.5 g's and the most of that was pulled coming out of the roll. It isn't legal to roll a 150 or 152 that isn't an aero bat but it's perfectly safe as long as you don't mess up. If you do then your in trouble because you don't have that 2g cushion that an aerobat has and yes you will probably die

Hoover was right. Done correctly a loop or a roll can be performed within the g limits of a normal category airplane. The problem occurs when a maneuver is done incorrectly. That coupled with the asymmetrical g loading associated with rolling pullouts can easily exceed normal g limits.
Regulation wise of course, what is illegal remains illegal.
I would add that I do not recommend at any time attempting aerobatics in any airplane not certificated for aerobatics, nor do I recommend performing them in certified airplanes without proper instruction from an instructor qualified to instruct in aerobatics and that isn't your everyday CFI.
Dudley Henriques
Old December 18th 15, 02:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Wed, 16 Dec 2015 19:55:09 -0800 (PST), wrote:

I have a 150h and I haven't looped or rolled it but

Hey, Dudley, remember this from NW_Pilot Steven Rhine? (This message thread
seems to have scrubbed from Google.Groups.)

From
Wed Apr 27 08:48:36 2005
From: "NW_PILOT"
Newsgroups:
rec.aviation.aerobatics,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviat ion.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.stud ent
Subject: Rolling a Non Aerobat 150
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 08:48:36 -0700

This video was taken by my instructor with my digital cam so its poor
quality, It's my first unassissted roll
http://www.warflying.net/roll.avi

-------------------------------

From Wed Apr 27 16:25:59 2005
From: "NW_PILOT"
Newsgroups:
rec.aviation.aerobatics,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviat ion.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.stud ent
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:25:59 -0700

"houstondan" wrote in message
oups.com...
been a while since i drove a 152, are you starting that nose down to
get the speed up? if so, what's the speed for starting the manouver?

Yes nose down to 120 pitch up about 20 to 40 degrees to about 97 or what
ever your maneuvering speed is full deflection to the right or left right is
easier once you see the ground cut the power to idle roll ailerons netural
when right side up.

by the way...weren't you to have just just done a big x-c in that 150?
don't remember seeing a report on that.

I aborted that flight due to weather and took the money and got me an
instrument rating and upset recovery training.

personaloly, i think you can do anything in your airplane you want as
long as you don't drive it on the freeway next to me while talking on
the damn cellfone and changing lanes (g).

I Was talking to my A&P before I went and did it in my airplane today he
said as long as I keep the G's positive it should not hurt the airframe. My
gyros on the other hand is something else recommends me getting cagable
gyros if i want to be doing spins and rolls. Ohhh my bird rolls just fine.

dan

-----------------------

From: "NW_PILOT"
Newsgroups:
rec.aviation.aerobatics,rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviat ion.owning,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.stud ent
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 16:25:59 -0700

[...]

I have to admit I don't remember much from the old Usenet days.........except how good it felt when I left :-)
DH
Old December 18th 15, 08:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george152

On 12/18/2015 2:54 PM, Dudley Henriques wrote:

I have to admit I don't remember much from the old Usenet days.........except how good it felt when I left :-)
DH

FidoNet was a learning experience.
I made every mistake possible and probably invented a few.
Ran WildCat and had dozens pointing off me..
Cant remember much about the aviation side or the contributors
Old December 18th 15, 10:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Stickney[_2_]

wrote:
[...]

Hi Dudley, good to see you.
Rolliing pullouts are special - and not in a good way.
They stress an airframe in unexpected ways -
Back in the late '40s/Early '50s, the Northrop F-89 jet interceptor suddenly
started coming apart in very public and very fatal crashes.
(At low altitudes, and often at airshows) Some if these were test birds
with V-G recorders on board - the data showed that the wings were failing
well within the tested G limits, and fatigue wasn't a factor.
These airplanes were grounded several times, and strict limitations placed
on them as they tried to suss out the problem,
It turns out that pulling Gs while rolling - especially with the tip tanks
on mounted - was imparting a twisting force on the wings that exceeded the
wing's torsional strength, snapping off the wing.

So - be careful, all, and remember that unless otherwise stated, the G
limits in the handbook are for symmetrical flight. If you start getting
complicated, you're becoming a test pilot.

--
Pete Stickney
Always remember to close all parentheses.
Old December 22nd 15, 08:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george152

On 12/19/2015 9:07 AM, Peter Stickney wrote:

[...]

Scary how a fighter could break up in midair..

And its a merry Christmas to all of you and a happy and safe new year
from down under
Old December 30th 15, 06:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_3_]

On Friday, December 18, 2015 at 4:07:05 PM UTC-5, Peter Stickney wrote:

[...]

Hi Pete; Good to see you are hanging in. Hope you have been well.
I'm just passing through Usenet these days. Too exciting for me :-)))
Dudley

Looping a 2-33 [email protected] Soaring 18 June 20th 15 11:32 PM
Looping a 2-33 [email protected] Soaring 0 June 20th 15 09:20 AM
Looping a 2-33 Bob Pasker Soaring 0 June 19th 15 11:47 AM
CT-4 looping. Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 0 August 6th 11 10:11 PM
How can I fly a looping? Jasper Tiler Piloting 11 April 1st 09 06:23 PM