Record height for a winch launch?

Old December 4th 16, 03:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Record height for a winch launch?

My LS-6 did fine loops and rolls (mainly the barrel type) and
cloverleafs but stall it in landing configuration and you got to
practice your spin recovery techniques! Oh, and it was terrific on
ground launches though I never had a chance to use so much rope.

Dan
5J

On 12/3/2016 4:53 PM, kirk.stant wrote:
On Friday, December 2, 2016 at 9:36:56 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Number of aerobatic glider pilots in the Chicagoland area (4 clubs including Beloit WI) is exactly Zero. High tows, who needs them?

Herb, what do you do on days when there is no lift?

Take a high tow then spend a few exhilarating minutes pulling G's and making the world go around - you just haven't lived until you have looked up at the ground from the top of a loop, or felt that moment of stillness at the apex of a hammerhead (stall turn) when there is just the silent rotation of your glider before it accelerates back straight down...

You guys have K-21s, don't you? Use them!

Seriously - if you have the opportunity to take an acro course - do it; it will open up a whole new way to enjoy gliders, and improve your flying skills.

Kirk
66

Have enjoyed acro in a variety of gliders including G-103 Acros, K-21s, 2-32s, 1-26s, L-13ACs and an incredible Swift S-1 (9G's on that one!!!). Oh, and maybe a little in my LS6... ;^)

--
Dan, 5J
Old December 4th 16, 07:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, December 3, 2016 at 5:53:13 PM UTC-6, kirk.stant wrote:
[...]

Kirk, of course you are right. My statements were somewhat tongue-in-cheek to expose the habit of taking high tows for no good reason. I enjoy the ~5sec of Zero-g that you can get from a well-flown hammerhead stall and we spin our ASK-21's regularly during flight reviews and in student training (with tail weights). So go, take the 3,500' aero-tow, your club treasurer will be thankful.
Herb
Old December 4th 16, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 1:04:54 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Kirk, of course you are right. My statements were somewhat tongue-in-cheek to expose the habit of taking high tows for no good reason. I enjoy the ~5sec of Zero-g that you can get from a well-flown hammerhead stall and we spin our ASK-21's regularly during flight reviews and in student training (with tail weights). So go, take the 3,500' aero-tow, your club treasurer will be thankful.
Herb

Awesome! I need to talk our club into getting the spin kit for our K-21; currently we use our L-13AC...

Has there been any interest in a glider acro program in your parts?

Kirk
66
Old December 6th 16, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 3:26:43 PM UTC-6, kirk.stant wrote:
On Sunday, December 4, 2016 at 1:04:54 PM UTC-6, wrote:

Kirk, of course you are right. My statements were somewhat tongue-in-cheek to expose the habit of taking high tows for no good reason. I enjoy the ~5sec of Zero-g that you can get from a well-flown hammerhead stall and we spin our ASK-21's regularly during flight reviews and in student training (with tail weights). So go, take the 3,500' aero-tow, your club treasurer will be thankful.
Herb

Awesome! I need to talk our club into getting the spin kit for our K-21; currently we use our L-13AC...

Has there been any interest in a glider acro program in your parts?

Kirk
66

Kirk, Like I said, I don't know of anyone in the greater Chicago area who is even qualified to teach aerobatics. Way back in Provence, France I had a chance to pay for a high 4,000' tow with an expert French aerobatics pilot, incredible. Especially the inverted ridge-soaring, no kidding. I'd be very interested in learning more about it.
Herb J7