Autoconnect water ballast valve kit

Old December 11th 16, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall

Default Autoconnect water ballast valve kit

I'm gearing up to make a couple sets of water ballast release valves for HP-24 kits, and I'm curious if there might be any interest in them as retrofits for other gliders.

I've seen some really goofy setups where you have to manually connect hoses inside the fuselage, with awkward arrangements of spherical valves and hoses and cables. And some of those were factory setups.

Well, I'm having none of it.

My setup will be similar to what the later DG and Schleicher gliders have. Each valve is located inside the wing, actuated by a rod that protrudes from the root rib and engages a socket in a walking beam on the fuselage. You pull little lever and a cable actuates the walking beam which pushes the valve open. Water drains out of a hole in the bottom of the wing. No in-fuselage valves or plumbing, no chance for water to flood into the cockpit.

Anyhow, I'm just seeing if anybody is interested in a kit to convert their older glider to a more modern setup. Of course there'd be some wing surgery involved, and of course these would only be for gliders with Experimental AW certs. Cost would probably be about $400 for the two valves, mounting brackets, walking beams, cables, levers, and a sketchy installation diagram.

You'd be on your own for installation, including cutting and reinforcing the drain hole in the bottom of the wing, but it's not exactly rocket surgery..

Email me bob at hpaircraft dot com if you're interested.

Thanks, Bob K.

Old December 11th 16, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 11:24:08 PM UTC-5, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
[...]

Retrofit kit produced for Schleicher gliders would do what you want to do. Contact me directly for more info.
UH

DG-200 Water Valve S. Murry Soaring 12 August 24th 18 08:36 PM
water ballast valve LS6c/LS7 Tibor Arpas Soaring 7 August 13th 15 05:45 PM
Brass Ball Valve,Gas Valve,Needle Valve,Angle Valve,Hose Bibcock Sale on good price valvetom Piloting 0 November 28th 06 02:25 AM
DG-300 water bag valve Q. [email protected] Soaring 1 February 28th 06 03:20 PM
WTB: ASW 27A water valve Peter Van Camp Soaring 0 April 28th 04 10:37 PM