Where can I train in a PW-6? Seminole Lake's is down for maintenancefor a couple of months

Old September 8th 17, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Where can I train in a PW-6? Seminole Lake's is down formaintenance for a couple of months

Just to point out... the OP was looking for training in a pw6. While it's already been stated, there's a brand new one in Chilhowee TN and you'd get to fly with one of the best in the world... That's where I'd go!
Old September 8th 17, 03:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

At 21:35 07 September 2017, kirk.stant wrote:
On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 1:30:05 PM UTC-5, Paul T wrote:
Entry point club class $20-25k
Entry point Std class $60k+
Entry point 15m class $ 80k+
Entry point 18m class $ 150k+
Entry point 20m class $150 k+
Entry point Open class $ 200k+

Entry point for ex World Class $20-25k. Entry point for 13.5m Class

$100k+

and we wonder why the sport is in decline?

If anyone wants a nice entry-level 15m glider I'll happily sell my LS6-b
for $79,999. Proven contest racer able to keep up with -27s on a good

day
(especially in weaker eastern conditions) with a good stick actuator.

66

I'll give you 80k when an LS6B wins a 15m class Worlds again. :-)

Old September 8th 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 9:15:06 AM UTC-5, Paul T wrote:

I'll give you 80k when an LS6B wins a 15m class Worlds again. :-)

Will you give $80K for an LS6A that won the 15M Worlds?

Old September 8th 17, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 9:15:06 AM UTC-5, Paul T wrote:

I'll give you 80k when an LS6B wins a 15m class Worlds again. :-)

How about one that won a Regional not too long ago? ;^)

66

Old September 8th 17, 06:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

On 9/8/2017 9:33 AM, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 9:15:06 AM UTC-5, Paul T wrote:
I'll give you 80k when an LS6B wins a 15m class Worlds again. :-)

Will you give $80K for an LS6A that won the 15M Worlds?

You should!Â* I flew it for 650 wonderful hours.Â* Great ship!
--
Dan, 5J
Old September 9th 17, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 02:38:37 +0000, Paul T
wrote:

REALLY???? and what are the numbers in 13.5m class? - lower than any
World Class event? The idea to have a relatively affordable ship that could

be used as a first solo ship in clubs, then to compete with on a level
playing
field at an international level was a far better idea than another racing
class
for the rich boys.

The point ios still valid: For the price of a PW-5 you get an older
Standard Class glider (perfectly suited for Club Class cometitions
today) with vastly superior performance. Recent history has proven
that glider pilots are not willing to fly something with the
performance of 60 years ago.

Trouble is this sport at national and intentional level
is
dominated by spoilt rich boys who turn up their noses at anything less than

40:1.

I don't know about your club, but the 15-year-old student pilots in my
club fly DG-300 and ASW-24. The 38:1 Mistral-C is being regarded as
too-badd-performance, not to mention the first solo glider, the Ka-8.

If they want to compete, they fly Club Class or Standard Class.

In case you didn't get it: There are more and more people who are
willing to buy a self-launcher - and these light 13.5m toys perfectly
fit into this market niche.

Old September 9th 17, 09:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 08:07:19 -0700 (PDT), Bruce Hoult
wrote:

The PW5 story stalled because there was just no incentive to buy a brand new, very ugly glider when you can have more performance for less money by buying a nice looking Cirrus.

That's only possible in a declining sport.

Even in a growong sport people are not willing to invest serious money
into something that is a 50-years step backwards.

Old September 9th 17, 09:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andreas Maurer

On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 17:17:26 +0000, Paul T
wrote:

NO there hasn't always been the Club Class - that didn't evolve until the
90's - and that took awhile to get established for the same reasons. You
think a Std. Cirrus is nice looking? Looks like a humped back whale to me -

always thought it was the ugliest of the first generation Std. Class ships.

My club organized a the German Club Class Championchips in 1986, and
even then it was anything but new. In 1990 it was around at least 15
years in Europe, and it was a huge success right from the start.

Old September 10th 17, 09:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul T[_4_]

-

always thought it was the ugliest of the first generation Std. Class

ships.

My club organized a the German Club Class Championchips in 1986,

and
even then it was anything but new. In 1990 it was around at least 15
years in Europe, and it was a huge success right from the start.

Yes but Germany is not the world and I would say for the majority of
national aeroclubs Club Class did not get fully established until the
1990's and indeed the first 'World Championship' was 2001 , after the
World Class whose first championship was in 1997. Indeed I can
remember there was some 'sloth'/resistance to the implementation of
Club Class in the UK, and the USA is still trying to get its act together
on
this class. Indeed their is still some 'snobbery' around, that views Club

Class as a training class to move up to the 'real' FAI classes.

This still does not take away from the fact that we now have 6 FAI
classes for fairly wealthy individuals, and 1 class for the normal income
guys- 'Club Class' - and a rapidly declining number of pilots. The 13.5 m
class with an entry point to buy a competitive ship at least equal to
15m class does not in my opinion help the situation. Over reliance on
only fairly wealthy individuals being able to be competitive at national
and international level is not going to grow the sport.

You are lucky that you fly in Germany where there is fairly easy access
to competitive club ships - for example in the UK there are no civilian
clubs with access to even a competitive standard class ship i.e. Discus
2/LS8, and very few, maybe 2-3 clubs in the USA and Canada. Maybe a
few more clubs with access to a Duo Discus/DG1001 which I suppose
you could use in 20M class.

Old September 10th 17, 10:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tango Whisky

Well, its basically the same in Germany, France, Italy, Austria and Switzerland (which together account for a huge part of world wide soaring population): You don't need to buy a ship for competition, you just take a club ship. In our club, we have 2x ASK21, 2x DuoDiscus, 2x LS4, 2x LS18-18.

But in the end, 90% of soaring pilots don't care about competitions, so the idea that competition classes have an influence on population is rather crude...