Cup holder

Old October 22nd 17, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

Default Cup holder

On Thursday, October 19, 2017 at 4:37:18 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Has anyone installed a cup holder on their glider? Pictures?

Chip B wrote "
I almost lost it at 5,000 ft. on course when B-O-O-O-O-M!!!!--the top blew off from the combined effects of carbonation and reduced air pressure. OK, maybe it only seemed that loud because there was no warning. In any case, Coke went everywhe on me, on the cockpit walls, on the instrument panel, but mostly up on the inside of the canopy. Try wiping off sugary soda with the paper napkin that was previously wrapped around a peanut butter sandwich."

Worse outside on the wings of a Kestrel or Nimbus; reminds me of the report of
H W-G screaming " George is dropping water on me, unbelievable" (WGC Oz)

could have been something worse.

John F
Old October 22nd 17, 09:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A few years back I was flying with a Camelback with its spout that you pinch in your mouth to let the water out. Somehow that spout got caught under me, and by the time I noticed anything I was already sitting in a tub of water. "Fly the airplane"... Since then I've added the valve Camelback offers, to shut off any possible flow while I am not drinking. Perhaps should also drill a drain hole in the seat pan?
Old October 22nd 17, 09:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

You are not the first to sit on a bite valve and get wet. The twist valve is critical. Installing Camelbak hose mounting clips onto the side of the fuselage also helps.
Old October 22nd 17, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

I bought an Open Cirrus several years ago that had an Orange Gatorade ring around the seat pan. Couldn't scrub it out either. Based on the depth, that had to be a fun flight for someone.

Old October 23rd 17, 05:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AS

On Sunday, October 22, 2017 at 4:27:47 PM UTC-4, SF wrote:
I bought an Open Cirrus several years ago that had an Orange Gatorade ring around the seat pan. Couldn't scrub it out either. Based on the depth, that had to be a fun flight for someone.

You're sure it was a Gatorade ring? I don't recall seeing a pilot relief system in you Cirrus! ;-)

Uli
'AS'
Old October 23rd 17, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 5:14:25 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Had a toaster oven in my glider for inflight reheating of meatball sandwiches, was a hassle. Easy now, I just toss them on the transponder.

LOL!
Old October 24th 17, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Worse outside on the wings of a Kestrel or Nimbus; reminds me of the report of
H W-G screaming " George is dropping water on me, unbelievable" (WGC Oz)

could have been something worse.

John F

I recall that story, John. And yes, it could have been worse. Long ago (1972?), I was trying to get home late in the day on the last leg at the Chester, SC regionals when I realized I needed to pee. Forget external catheters; this was before we started carrying plastic bags. Real pilots just held it--for 7-8 hours or more.

That wasn't working. It was cold. I found myself contemplating the unthinkable: landing just to relieve the pressure. But wait! I cleverly (?) folded my task sheet (letter size paper) into a cup, then filled and emptied it out the Libelle 201's clear vision panel three times. It was as fraught with problems as it sounds so I won't go into details.

We all ended up landing out anyway. I got rained on before my crew arrived and the entire glider got washed off. Else I would have had some explaining (and even more cleaning) to do.

Chip Bearden
Old October 24th 17, 06:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

In '72, likely only sandwich bags with the flip over seal.......took a while for Zip-lock....then you use at least the quart size....
Yes, I used quite a few over the years..... ;-)

Oh, and don't forget to blow into the bag before "filling" to check for leaks....
Old October 25th 17, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

If nothing else the mental image of a zip loc baggie filled with pee being carefully handled has completely removed any interest in tasty sandwiches and Pepsi served with ice...
Old October 25th 17, 03:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Filling the bag with the lining of a disposable diaper takes care of any
mess, but there are more modern options available.

--
Dan, 5J