The State of the Union, Health care and more lies from the President

Old January 23rd 04, 05:49 PM
Pat Norton

devil wrote
Infant mortality which is I believe high in the US has a
significant contribution to these figures.

http://www.oecd.org/document/16/0,23..._1_1_1,00.html
Infant mortality - Deaths per 1000 live births (year 2000)
3.0 Iceland
3.2 Japan
3.4 Sweden
3.8 Finland
3.8 Norway
3.9 Spain
4.1 Czech Republic
4.4 Germany
4.5 Italy
4.6 France
4.8 Austria
4.8 Belgium
4.9 Switzerland
5.1 Luxembourg
5.1 Netherlands
5.2 Australia
5.3 Denmark
5.3 Canada
5.5 Portugal
5.6 United Kingdom
6.1 Greece
6.2 Ireland
6.9 United States
8.1 Poland
8.6 Slovak Republic
Old February 2nd 04, 10:48 PM

In rec.food.cooking Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

It's the other way round. Free market competition keeps cost down and
service up.

Not always. One of the biggest problems with the private health care
system in the states is that the overhead for preparing insurance forms
and paperwork is staggering. I just spoke with a tech at a blood lab
in my neighborhood and she said they spend hours every day just doing
paperwork after the doors close at night. My sister who's a psychologist
in private practice also echoed the same concern to me on several occassions,
the she spends hours doing insurance paperwork, which could better be
spent treating patients.

Old February 3rd 04, 07:33 PM
Bill

In article , Go Fig
wrote:

It's the other way round. Free market competition keeps cost down and
service up.

Not always. One of the biggest problems with the private health care
system in the states is that the overhead for preparing insurance forms
and paperwork is staggering. I just spoke with a tech at a blood lab
in my neighborhood and she said they spend hours every day just doing
paperwork after the doors close at night. My sister who's a psychologist
in private practice also echoed the same concern to me on several
occassions,
the she spends hours doing insurance paperwork, which could better be
spent treating patients.

Medicare administrative costs: 2%

Average administrative costs of H.M.O.'s 15%

New York Times, January 28, 2004, page A 25 (National Edition)

Are you saying a doctors billing costs are included in the HMOs
overhead ?

Did the article compare fraud costs ?

Please continue this discussion in an appropriate newsgroup.
Old June 14th 04, 05:56 AM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Pan Ohco
wrote:

On Sun, 25 Jan 2004 17:59:18 GMT, (Werner J.
Severin) wrote:

http://www.citizen.org/pressroom/release.cfm?ID=1623
*
Public Citizen * Physicians for a National Health Program*

Jan. 14, 2004

Study Shows National Health Insurance Could Save $286 Billion on Health
Care Paperwork:

Authors Say Medicare Drug Bill Will Increase Bureaucratic Costs, Reward
Insurers and the AARP

A study by researchers at Harvard Medical School and Public Citizen to be
published in Fridayıs International Journal of Health Services finds that
health care bureaucracy last year cost the United States $399.4 billion.
The study estimates that national health insurance (NHI) could save at
least $286 billion annually on paperwork, enough to cover all of the
uninsured and to provide full prescription drug coverage for everyone in
the United States.

You actually expect the government to have less bureaucratic cost?
Pan Ohco

No one said "bureaucratic" cost. They said "paperwork," or perhaps
"administrative" cost.

Administrative cost in the current system involves separate negotiation
between each hospital and each insurance company. Typically, that means
pricing at least 400 line items (i.e., CPT (Current Procedural Terms)
codes plus drug codes). Individual clinicians usually refuse to
negotiate that many times, so they won't take many insurance plans.

Also in this are some very hefty profit numbers. Healthcare executives
do very, very well in the annual executive compensation surveys.

The current system also doesn't do well with the cost, in some cases
mandated (e.g., by the federal EMTALA laws that require emergency rooms
to take patients), of uninsured patients. That cost gets shifted to the
insured and self-pay.