747 Cruise Missile/JDAM carrier?

Old June 14th 04, 04:54 AM
David E. Powell

Default 747 Cruise Missile/JDAM carrier?

So.... if the USAF needed quick bombers, of the heavy kind....

Could this work? Wing racks might be doable.... I am not sure about putting
in a bomb bay, though doing it ahead and aft of the wing and gear cluster
might be doable.

Old June 14th 04, 05:43 AM
Kevin Brooks

"David E. Powell" wrote in message
s.com...
So.... if the USAF needed quick bombers, of the heavy kind....

Could this work? Wing racks might be doable.... I am not sure about

putting
in a bomb bay, though doing it ahead and aft of the wing and gear cluster
might be doable.

The USAF actually evaluated a proposal back during the carter era, IIRC, of
using widebody transportsd in the ALCM dispensing role--it came to nothing.
I believe the plan was to have to have the missiles drop out of a chute from
internal carriage.

Brooks

Old June 14th 04, 01:05 PM
Robert

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 00:43:06 -0400, "Kevin Brooks"
wrote:

"David E. Powell" wrote in message
ws.com...
So.... if the USAF needed quick bombers, of the heavy kind....

Could this work? Wing racks might be doable.... I am not sure about

putting
in a bomb bay, though doing it ahead and aft of the wing and gear cluster
might be doable.

The USAF actually evaluated a proposal back during the carter era, IIRC, of
using widebody transportsd in the ALCM dispensing role--it came to nothing.
I believe the plan was to have to have the missiles drop out of a chute from
internal carriage.

Brooks

747 pic posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation

Propellor Primer Ebby Home Built 3 November 19th 04 11:36 AM
B-29s & P-51s Strike Japan plus "Carrier Franklin" at Zeno's Drive-In zeno Home Built 1 October 4th 04 11:19 PM
B-29s & P-51s Strike Japan plus "Carrier Franklin" at Zeno's Drive-In zeno Instrument Flight Rules 0 October 4th 04 05:32 PM
Cruise clearance Hankal Instrument Flight Rules 26 May 22nd 04 04:08 AM
Can the F-14 carry six AIM-54s and land on carrier? Matthew G. Saroff Military Aviation 1 October 29th 03 09:14 PM