a different cross-country time question

Old December 28th 03, 04:02 AM
Arden Prinz

Default a different cross-country time question

Suppose that I fly from airport "a" to airport "b" and then from
airport "b" to airport "c". The straight-line distance from "a" to
"b" is less than 50 nautical miles and the straight-line distance from
"b" to "c" is less than nautical miles. However, the straight-line
distance from "a" to "c" is more than 50 nautical miles. How much
time can I spend at airport "b" and still count this flying as
cross-country time for the purpose of meeting the aeronautical
experience requirements for an instrument rating?

Thank-you!
Arden
Old December 28th 03, 04:40 AM
Teacherjh

How much
time can I spend at airport "b" and still count this flying as
cross-country time for the purpose of meeting the aeronautical
experience requirements for an instrument rating?

As much as you want. It can even be overnight.

There are no rules about what constitutes a "flight". In the FAA FAQ they give
several examples of "flights" that last several days with stopovers. However,
in interpreting the regs, they look to the "purpose of the flight". The FSDO
may determine that if you stay long enough to require re-planning and
re-briefing the next leg, that the cross-country-ishness of the flight (for the
purpose of meeting this reg) may not apply. But this is just speculation on my
part as to how they may interpret the regs. It is not actuallly =in= the regs.

Jose

Old December 29th 03, 01:04 AM
Matthew Waugh

The key phrase is "original point of departure" and as far as I know that's
never been defined. The 14 CFR FAQ used to have a discussion in there about
not deliberately changing the original point of departure to make something
a cross-country that it might not have been, but it's all a bit hazy.

It has to pass the smell test - if it smells like a cross-country it is, and
if smells like bulls*(t then it probably isn't a cross country.

Mat

--
Matthew Waugh
Comm. SEL MEL, CFI-AI

"Arden Prinz" wrote in message
om...
Suppose that I fly from airport "a" to airport "b" and then from
airport "b" to airport "c". The straight-line distance from "a" to
"b" is less than 50 nautical miles and the straight-line distance from
"b" to "c" is less than nautical miles. However, the straight-line
distance from "a" to "c" is more than 50 nautical miles. How much
time can I spend at airport "b" and still count this flying as
cross-country time for the purpose of meeting the aeronautical
experience requirements for an instrument rating?

Thank-you!
Arden

GWB and the Air Guard JD Military Aviation 77 March 17th 04 10:52 AM
US cross country flight S Narayan Instrument Flight Rules 0 January 7th 04 02:58 PM
#1 Jet of World War II Christopher Military Aviation 203 September 1st 03 03:04 AM
they took me back in time and the nsa or japan wired my head and now they know the idea came from me so if your back in time and wounder what happen they change tim liverance history for good. I work at rts wright industries and it a time travel trap tim liverance Military Aviation 0 August 18th 03 12:18 AM