When Time Slows Down

Old September 14th 05, 04:14 AM
Morgans

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

Not really a rush, so much as the feeling that I'm hyper-aware of what's
going on, and am operating at a noticably higher performance level than
usual.

WOOOOOSSSSH ! ! !

What was that sound? Oh, never mind. That was the sound of my attempt at
humor going over your head. :-)
--
Jim in NC

Old September 14th 05, 04:16 AM
Jim Burns

Yep, I get that feeling also, on every landing. What's really weird is how
after doing a bunch of take offs and landings how you get in your car and
automatically do 100mph down the freeway because everything around you is
moving too slow.
Jim

Old September 14th 05, 04:30 AM
Aluckyguess

Going over a cliff in my dune buggy. It took forever to hit. I was thinking
this is going to hurt. Then I hit and I thought wow my 5 point harness
really did a good job. After getting out I thought wow I am ok, but a half
hour later I could hardly sit down my tail bone hurt like eck.
The whole front end of my buggy was squshed.

Old September 14th 05, 06:27 AM
Morgans

"Dudley Henriques" dhenriques@noware .net wrote

Serious answer this time.
I heard this discussed one night long ago at a dinner meeting with some

race
car drivers at a show I was doing .
I remember them saying it was a well known phenom, usually brought on by
unusually high stress or extremely high performance levels.

I have experienced it on many occasions. The latest was during a car wreck
where I went off the road, and a low shoulder and embankment conspired to
keep me from getting back on, again.

I was most surprised this time by how many thoughts, decisions and reactions
flashed through my mind. My theory is that it is an evolved state, that
helped our cavemen ancestors to survive the most threatening situations. By
allowing total concentration, and being able to make a multitude of extra
reactions than would normally be possible, it may have given them the edge
necessary to survive.
--
Jim in NC

Old September 14th 05, 11:45 AM
Kyle Boatright

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Kyle Boatright" wrote

Not really a rush, so much as the feeling that I'm hyper-aware of what's
going on, and am operating at a noticably higher performance level than
usual.

WOOOOOSSSSH ! ! !

What was that sound? Oh, never mind. That was the sound of my attempt at
humor going over your head. :-)
--
Jim in NC

Humor? I remember that!

KB

Old September 14th 05, 12:45 PM
Larry Dighera

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:51:04 -0400, "Kyle Boatright"
wrote in
::

Do you ever experience the sensation that time is slowing down for you?
E.G. Your brain and motor functions are moving at normal speed, but
everything around you has slowed down?

The only time I recall this phenomenon occurring was while I was
airborne shortly after impact during a 1967 motorcycle accident. While
on "very short final" to the asphalt, I recall thinking about how I
need to land and roll with the impact and protect my head (no helmet
law back then). It must be a response effected by adrenalin flooding.

John D. Macdonald used this temporal dilation phenomenon effectively
in The Girl, The Gold Watch, And Everything: Unusual, light-hearted
fantasy about a man who inherits a watch that can freeze time for
everyone except whoever has the watch.
http://tinyurl.com/bvj45
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080792/usercomments
http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac... 7712_2:46:95

See also:
http://www.jeremybyoder.com/personal...kholeprofs.doc
Old September 14th 05, 01:08 PM
Gene Seibel

I've had it happen in a car accident. Didn't notice it when I flipped
my airplane. Probably happened when I had a hold of 480 volts and
thought for what seemed like several seconds about what it was going to
be like to die, but I have no idea how long that really was.

I've often wondered what it would be like if we didn't have a 24 hour/1
year sun cycle and man hadn't put so much emphasis on measuring time.
Time is such an artificial thing that our minds have adapted to. It
fascinates me in the Bible where it mentions that in the future in
heaven, "there should be time no longer:"
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of Flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html

Old September 14th 05, 01:41 PM
Gene Seibel

I suspect that those who are good at sports where there is high speed
action have a brain that is better at processing things quicly. Someone
throws a ball to me and it seems so fast that I can't see how there
could possibly be time to make any decisions associated with catching
it.

And of course stress is almost entirely a product of letting time get
the best of us.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Flying Machine - http://pad39a.com/gene/

Old September 14th 05, 07:25 PM
George Patterson

Kyle Boatright wrote:

What's up with that, and where do I sign up for more?

This is one of the effects of adrenaline (also one of the effects of marijuana,
but I suspect that wasn't a factor for you).

George Patterson
Old September 14th 05, 10:41 PM
Jim Burns

Probably happened when I had a hold of 480 volts and
thought for what seemed like several seconds about what it was going to
be like to die, but I have no idea how long that really was.

Yep... been there. blowing out magnetic starters with an air hose... guess
there was a little water in the line.

Hmm... that feels funny.... what's going on? BANG!!!! wow, that was
loud... what the heck is that? funny how I can't see, but I can hear
everything....knocked off my feet... hmm, nothing hurts... flying through
the air... this is just weird.... landing on my ass... ouch... knew
something was going to hurt... took forever

On the other hand, I flew over the handle bars of a bike and broke my
shoulder and my collar bone, it happened in such a flash that I couldn't
figure out what happened.

Gyrocopter Speed Mark Rotorcraft 36 August 16th 05 11:28 PM
they took me back in time and the nsa or japan wired my head and now they know the idea came from me so if your back in time and wounder what happen they change tim liverance history for good. I work at rts wright industries and it a time travel trap tim liverance Military Aviation 0 August 18th 03 12:18 AM