PowerFLARM 2.71...WTF?

Old April 2nd 13, 02:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default PowerFLARM 2.71...WTF?

What am I missing?

Could someone please explain why PowerFLARM.US has not released the IGC approved version 2.71 for flight logs?

Ben
Old April 2nd 13, 03:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Monday, April 1, 2013 6:38:37 PM UTC-7, wrote:
What am I missing?

Could someone please explain why PowerFLARM.US has not released the IGC approved version 2.71 for flight logs?

Ben

Because they already have our money

Mike
Old April 2nd 13, 03:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Apr 1, 10:29*pm, Mike the Strike wrote:
On Monday, April 1, 2013 6:38:37 PM UTC-7, wrote:
What am I missing?

Could someone please explain why PowerFLARM.US has not released the IGC approved version 2.71 for flight logs?

Ben

Because they already have our money

Mike

I expect they've been busy with the Portable recall... however, my
glider comes out of the hangar Saturday, and I am beginning to regret
selling my Volkslogger. I would be happy with 2.71 (beta). I have
seen reference to a version 2.8 on the Butterfly site. Are you
sitting down?
quote
(Updates through PowerFLARM will be available early summer 2013 with
PowerFLARM Software 2.8)
unquote

This is in the changelog to butterfly display update 3.1.; which I
cannot put in my display since I didn't get a cable that could do it
because they said it could be done through my Brick in Q1/2013.

I don't doubt a lot is being done; but it is EXTRAORDINARILY
FRUSTRATING to have zero information on the company website - North
American section - since 31 October last year.

What is happening? Do I get another IGC Flight Recorder for this
spring?????
Old April 2nd 13, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

And it occurs to me, that they don't see the problem - since they are
flying with 2.71 right now. If you have something, the urgency goes
away. Ridge days at Keystone - and no recorder to finish my Diamond
Badge.

Old April 2nd 13, 05:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Bjork

At 02:57 02 April 2013, Dan Daly wrote:
And it occurs to me, that they don't see the problem - since they are
flying with 2.71 right now. If you have something, the urgency goes
away. Ridge days at Keystone - and no recorder to finish my Diamond
Badge.

They are just taking lessons from ClearNav. Is it March 31 yet?????????

SF

Old April 2nd 13, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

The new way: Release something that's incomplete and fix it after you have some money.
CNv, PowerFLARM, and I've heard stories of LX but I can't remember which LX company or vario it was.
Enjoy the last hour of April Fools Day.
Jim
Old April 2nd 13, 01:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Tuesday, April 2, 2013 12:00:37 AM UTC-4, Tom Bjork wrote:

They are just taking lessons from ClearNav. Is it March 31 yet?????????

SF

Oww! Owwww!

CNv release notes and update process instructions being reviewed this morning. Pls stand by....

Evan Ludeman
Old April 2nd 13, 01:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Monday, April 1, 2013 11:11:16 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
The new way: Release something that's incomplete and fix it after you have some money. CNv, PowerFLARM, and I've heard stories of LX but I can't remember which LX company or vario it was. Enjoy the last hour of April Fools Day. Jim

It is now Arpil 2.

Do not put LX NAV in that category!! The last improvement to the LX9000 was a V9 vario module,it has 3 axis accelerometers,and 3 axis gyros sensors. I just received 2 9000s in Feb 2013 when they announced the V9 was replacing the V5 module. So I email LX NAV to get V9 modules and their response was : Not to worry Richard all LX9000 have been shipping with the V9 module since November 2012, V5 SN 2000 and up are V9 modules.

Needless to say I was impressed.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old April 2nd 13, 01:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Back to topic...this is about customer service and product confidence. Where is PowerFLARM.US? Their silence is most disrespectful and their lack of support is inexcusable.

Message to Ian Strachan,(ian at ukiws.demon.co.uk) , Chairman, IGC GNSS Flight Recorder Approval Committee:

This lack of manufacture's support establishes a dangerous precedent in the soaring market. Whereas it benefits the manufacture, it penalizes the soaring community worldwide. Please move to restructure all IGC flight recorder approval to condition approval only if tested and approved operating software is publicly available to the soaring domain. IGC approval of something not readily available is worthless.

Respectfully,

Ben
Old April 2nd 13, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean F (F2)

I am going to have to agree with the frustration being expressed here. I have had my portable for 1.7 years approximately (Uvalde, August, 2011). Like you I am still waiting for the final IGC approved logger function firmware update. Yes, that is a bit "tardy." By the time it is released it will have been nearly 2 years for me. I needed to purchase a Collibri 2 as a backup logger (awesome unit by the way!)

That said, I have experienced first hand the PowerFlarm protecting me (and the other pilots) from numerous very possible collisions. One I honestly feel would have absolutely happened without Flarm. We we dead to rights, I got a warning, dove out of the way and he never moved or made any turn. Sobering to think about but a reality of flying. 1:1,000,000 does happen eventually. And in gliders its probably more like 1:10,000.

I strongly believe that PowerFlarm greatly improves glider safety as we glider pilots always head to the same places and fly the same path's, often opposed. Regardless of if we are racing or fun flying. I think it is worth every penny of the price.

I think we should be mindful of the importance of this primary PowerFlarm goal: collision avoidance. We should make sure that we restrain ourselves from injuring the company's reputation so much as to impede adoption of others considering a PowerFlarm purchase. I think it's more important to praise PowerFlarms almost magical (just as advertised) capability to call out traffic in conjunction with any criticism of the approved logger function delay.

I think PowerFlarm is critical to improving general glider - tow aircraft safety and as ADS-B continues to roll out, a broad adoption of PowerFlarm within the USA from glider pilots will become increasingly important in preventing general airplane / glider collisions.

I thank PowerFlarm for stepping forward, taking the risks to develop this product and for delivering a FCC approved Flarm product in the USA that works extremely well.

Regardless of the tardiness on the logger, I give you guys an A+.

Thank You.

Now hurry up with that logger update :-)!

Sean
F2

PowerFLARM 2.60 beta available [email protected] Soaring 7 November 2nd 12 01:11 AM
PowerFLARM Brick and PowerFLARM Remote Display Manuals Available Paul Remde Soaring 30 May 25th 12 11:58 PM
Status PowerFLARM for USA [email protected] Soaring 7 July 14th 11 07:24 PM
PowerFLARM Paul Remde Soaring 9 November 6th 10 05:30 AM
PowerFLARM Greg Arnold[_2_] Soaring 6 November 2nd 10 10:32 AM