Approach plates on pocket PC?

Old September 8th 05, 08:11 PM
paul kgyy

Default Approach plates on pocket PC?

I'm looking for the ability to just load and read approach plates on my
Ipaq. I know that Control Vision has their Pocket Plates, but with a
Garmin 430 I don't need geo-referencing, etc etc.

Anyone know of simpler setups available? I'd guess there should also
be a way to limit what you load by area or type of approach.

Old September 8th 05, 08:33 PM
Whit

Paul,

Pocket plates does allow you to set filters to choose only certain
states and approach types. Also, the geo-referencing is a snap. Just
select geo-reference, touch an item on the approach plate, and select
its name from the drop down list. You just need to reference two items
and you are done.

I can't speak for other items.

Martin

Old September 8th 05, 09:05 PM
Mitty

seattleavionics.com

I have not used their pocket pc feature, but the interface for accessing plates,
called "Plate Packs," is nice and clean. There is no subscription. It is a
one-time purchase. The plates can be downloaded directly from NACO, too, so I
don't think there would be a problem even if the vendor went TU.

Old September 8th 05, 09:38 PM
Hilton

Paul,

I'm looking for the ability to just load and read approach plates on my
Ipaq. I know that Control Vision has their Pocket Plates, but with a
Garmin 430 I don't need geo-referencing, etc etc.

Why do you want approach charts on a Pocket PC? During our development of
WingX for the Pocket PC (www.hiltonsoftware.com), I thought about adding
that functionality, but figured it wasn't usable, arguably unsafe, etc...
Is this purely for referencing on the ground, or would you intend to use
this in IMC while flying an approach?

FYI: I could probably add this to WingX in 2-3 weeks if pilots really wanted
it and I could be convinced it was a safe feature to use. I put safety of
the product's use ahead of 'money to be made' - so being convinced about its
safety is important for all our new features.

Thanks,

Hilton

Old September 8th 05, 10:02 PM
paul kgyy

My Garmin 430 gives me the approach routing, but does not provide
minimum altitudes.

I would normally carry paper charts for planned arrivals, either
purchased or downloaded and printed.

I'd like to use the ipaq as a backup in case I need to land someplace
unplanned. Also, I tend to carry the ipaq around with me everywhere I
go, but not paper plates :-).

Old September 8th 05, 10:21 PM
Hilton

Paul,
My Garmin 430 gives me the approach routing, but does not provide
minimum altitudes.

Ahh, now that I would (love to) add to WingX in a heartbeat - MVAs! I wish
they were available...

I would normally carry paper charts for planned arrivals, either
purchased or downloaded and printed.

I'd like to use the ipaq as a backup in case I need to land someplace
unplanned. Also, I tend to carry the ipaq around with me everywhere I
go, but not paper plates :-).

I'm still completely unconvinced that approach charts can/should be used to
fly an approach even as a backup.

Thanks,

Hilton

Old September 9th 05, 04:03 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article .com,
"paul kgyy" wrote:
I'm looking for the ability to just load and read approach plates on my
Ipaq. I know that Control Vision has their Pocket Plates, but with a
Garmin 430 I don't need geo-referencing, etc etc.

Anyone know of simpler setups available? I'd guess there should also
be a way to limit what you load by area or type of approach.

I have tried both PocketPlates and the Seattle Avionics product. Of the
two, PocketPlates is much better on the PocketPC because it displays the
plate in its own "lightweight" viewer--the Seattle Avionics product
relies on Adobe Reader PocketPC to view the plate (seemed like a huge
slug on the iPaq 4705). The PocketPlates update and sync operations
were much, much simpler. You do not have to use the geo-referencing
ability of PocketPlates.

JKG
Old September 9th 05, 04:12 AM

Hilton wrote:
Paul,

I'm looking for the ability to just load and read approach plates on my
Ipaq. I know that Control Vision has their Pocket Plates, but with a
Garmin 430 I don't need geo-referencing, etc etc.

Why do you want approach charts on a Pocket PC? During our development of
WingX for the Pocket PC (www.hiltonsoftware.com), I thought about adding
that functionality, but figured it wasn't usable, arguably unsafe, etc...
Is this purely for referencing on the ground, or would you intend to use
this in IMC while flying an approach?

Usable is in the eye of the beholder- as the Pocket PC screens get
bigger (and less pocket-able) I'm starting to find I can actually read
a plate displayed on one. So, instead of hanging the paper plate on the
yoke, you call it up on the PPC, and a little dot shows where you are.
Nice situational awareness gizmo. Primary navigation tool? No way.

-cwk.

Old September 9th 05, 04:46 PM
Hilton

cwk wrote:
Nice situational awareness gizmo. Primary navigation tool? No way.

OK, I can agree with that. Thanks for the post. That includes a GPS etc.
I find it highly 'optimistic' that pilot would use a Pocket PC's instrument
chart in flight as their primary which is what most pilot tend to say; e.g.
"I don't always have my paper charts", or "This is cheaper", etc...

Hilton

Old September 9th 05, 08:16 PM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
"Hilton" wrote:
Nice situational awareness gizmo. Primary navigation tool? No way.

OK, I can agree with that. Thanks for the post. That includes a GPS etc.
I find it highly 'optimistic' that pilot would use a Pocket PC's instrument
chart in flight as their primary which is what most pilot tend to say; e.g.
"I don't always have my paper charts", or "This is cheaper", etc...

With PocketPlates and the Seattle Avionics products, you can print the
plates for your destination and alternates as part of your pre-flight
planning. If you find yourself in a pinch during the flight, you can
always pull the information off of the plate on the PocketPC. Printed
or not, I certainly don't stare at the plate during the approach--I pull
off the important information and focus on flying the airplane.

JKG