Approach plates on pocket PC?

Old September 10th 05, 05:44 PM

Jonathan Goodish wrote:
In article ,
"Hilton" wrote:
Nice situational awareness gizmo. Primary navigation tool? No way.

OK, I can agree with that. Thanks for the post. That includes a GPS etc.
I find it highly 'optimistic' that pilot would use a Pocket PC's instrument
chart in flight as their primary which is what most pilot tend to say; e.g.
"I don't always have my paper charts", or "This is cheaper", etc...

With PocketPlates and the Seattle Avionics products, you can print the
plates for your destination and alternates as part of your pre-flight
planning.

Considering that most people lose more money in their couch every 56
days than it costs for a set of NACO plates, I keep a complete set in
my bag no matter what. Cheap insurance I think.

-cwk.

Old September 10th 05, 06:07 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, said:
Considering that most people lose more money in their couch every 56
days than it costs for a set of NACO plates, I keep a complete set in
my bag no matter what. Cheap insurance I think.

You lose $4 x 24 books = $96 every 56 days? I think you need to invest in
better pockets.

--
Paul Tomblin
http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
Old September 11th 05, 08:06 PM
Andrew Gideon

Hilton wrote:

I find it highly 'optimistic' that pilot would use a Pocket PC's
instrument chart in flight as their primary which is what most pilot tend
to say; e.g. "I don't always have my paper charts", or "This is cheaper",
etc...

With what are you comparing the use of a palmtop for plate display in your
determination that it is unsafe? A complete lack of plates? Or having all
the necessary paper plates?

Even if the latter, why do you view the palmtop as less safe? Size of the
display? Reliability of the device? Something else?

What would the electronic device need to be/do/have/etc. for you to consider
it at least equally safe as paper?

- Andrew

Old September 11th 05, 11:07 PM
Hilton

Andrew wrote:
Hilton wrote:

I find it highly 'optimistic' that pilot would use a Pocket PC's
instrument chart in flight as their primary which is what most pilot

tend
to say; e.g. "I don't always have my paper charts", or "This is

cheaper",
etc...

With what are you comparing the use of a palmtop for plate display in your
determination that it is unsafe? A complete lack of plates? Or having

all
the necessary paper plates?

Even if the latter, why do you view the palmtop as less safe? Size of the
display? Reliability of the device? Something else?

What would the electronic device need to be/do/have/etc. for you to

consider
it at least equally safe as paper?

I just want to be able to see all the information clearly - simple as that.
During an approach, you're looking at the top for the frequencies, at the
bottom for the minimums and missed instructions, also looking at the chart
for step downs, intersections, VOR frequencies, radials etc etc etc.
Basically, I believe that during an approach, a pilot is referencing the
*entire* plate and I have to assume that the added task of scrolling on a
small device while in IMC on an approach is adding an unnecessary
task/distraction.

Hilton

Old September 11th 05, 11:27 PM
Andrew Gideon

Hilton wrote:

I just want to be able to see all the information clearly - simple as
that.

So it's the display size and quality, yes?

- Andrew

Old September 12th 05, 01:29 AM
Mitty

On 9/8/2005 10:03 PM, Jonathan Goodish wrote the following:
In article .com,
"paul kgyy" wrote:

I'm looking for the ability to just load and read approach plates on my
Ipaq. I know that Control Vision has their Pocket Plates, but with a
Garmin 430 I don't need geo-referencing, etc etc.

Anyone know of simpler setups available? I'd guess there should also
be a way to limit what you load by area or type of approach.

I have tried both PocketPlates and the Seattle Avionics product. Of the
two, PocketPlates is much better on the PocketPC because it displays the
plate in its own "lightweight" viewer--the Seattle Avionics product
relies on Adobe Reader PocketPC to view the plate (seemed like a huge
slug on the iPaq 4705). The PocketPlates update and sync operations
were much, much simpler. You do not have to use the geo-referencing
ability of PocketPlates.

JKG

The speed issue doesn't surprise me. Seattle Avionics uses the MS "dot net"
framework, which is a huge slug. The SA product has been very slow on the two
regular machines I have tried it on as well. Especially in rendering the plates
for printing. IMHO relying on almost anything from Microsoft is a bad design
decision for many reasons, speed and size being the most relevant here.

That being said, I like the fact that there is no ongoing subscription cost.
That was the clincher for me.
Old September 12th 05, 01:35 AM
Andrew Gideon

Anyone tried the Cheetah product? I know that it's much more than plates,
but I'm wondering how well, on their dedicated hardware, they've done
things like approach plates.

For a while, this was a non-starter for me because of how they retrieved
weather data. But they recently made XM an option, so I'm now considering.

- Andrew

Old September 12th 05, 01:39 AM
Jonathan Goodish

In article ,
Mitty wrote:
That being said, I like the fact that there is no ongoing subscription cost.
That was the clincher for me.

That's true, but who knows how long Seattle Avionics is going to be
around? Based on the published bio of its CEO, it sounds like he
basically specializes in starting companies and then selling them.

The SA product DOES, however, let you grab the plate updates from the
FAA instead of the SA server, which is nice.

JKG