Locating device mounting

Old July 15th 18, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Locating device mounting

A space blanket staked out on the ground can be a good signaling device.

And, for those of us who want a cushion between our lower backs and
parachutes, consider a rolled up blanket.Â* Your rigger should be able to
sew on some soft straps or cords with which to tie it securely in place.

On 7/14/2018 9:11 PM, Eric Greenwell wrote:
John Godfrey (QT) wrote on 6/23/2018 8:49 AM:
On Saturday, June 23, 2018 at 11:08:49 AM UTC-4,
wrote:
Recent descriptions of the Nephi accident are driving me to rethink
my decision about location of my Spot in the ship.
I have had it mounted on the canopy frame to try to get the best
view of the sky for tracking. It kind of gets in the way a little
when on the chute harness.
My assumption has been that in the event of a bad thing happening
both the glider and I will be in close proximity.
I got it wrong.
My Spot will go back on the harness.
1- It stays with me.
2- Assuming I'm capable I can orient it and activate emergency even
if I have bailed out.
FWIW
UH

Anything you expect to help folks find you needs to be attached to
the front of your chute.Â* Otherwise it is camping gear.

I have my SPOT3 on chest strap (works fine).Â* SMAK PAK Survival Kit
on right shoulder caries cellphone, whistle, mirror, strobe and space
blanket.

You have the parachute to keep you warm and provide some shelter. What
is the purpose of the space blanket?

--
Dan, 5J
Old July 15th 18, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Blanket is better than nothing.
"Space foam" (various names) is better, although sucks when cold until it warms up a bit.
Trust me, I know.
I have now broken my back twice (non aviation related), spinal comfort is good.
Yes, I have done sorta long flights in a 1-26, no good way to fit there. Kudos to those that do 10hrs or so in the seat....sheesh......thus, "Iron Butt" comment.......
Old July 24th 18, 04:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

On Sunday, July 15, 2018 at 1:41:58 PM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Blanket is better than nothing.
"Space foam" (various names) is better, although sucks when cold until it warms up a bit.
Trust me, I know.
I have now broken my back twice (non aviation related), spinal comfort is good.
Yes, I have done sorta long flights in a 1-26, no good way to fit there. Kudos to those that do 10hrs or so in the seat....sheesh......thus, "Iron Butt" comment.......

A signalling mirror is also a good idea. Here is how to use one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lvMD7u2jOI

Tom

EE help please - - locating Schottky diode [email protected] Soaring 9 April 29th 13 11:26 PM
PowerFlarm mounting question, and an idea for mounting devices brianDG303[_2_] Soaring 2 October 23rd 11 06:51 PM
Need Help Locating a Camloc Latch. Ebby Home Built 1 October 20th 06 02:36 AM
Need Help Locating Owner Ross Owning 2 April 3rd 06 05:30 PM
locating Jiran Paul Gaines Soaring 0 December 10th 05 12:57 AM