WAAS and Garmin 430/530

Old September 28th 03, 09:34 PM
DoodyButch

Default WAAS and Garmin 430/530

I was all ready to order a (wildly popular) Garmin 530 upgrade but now I have read that these units are not WAAS capable and will need a motherboard upgrade whenever they develop a WAAS capability, since there are fundamental problems with the basic refresh rate - see this months Aviation Safety.

WAAS is very important, needless to say, since it increases the accuracy a lot, and it could save your life. Ironically, the lowly Garmin GPS 295 portable/handheld is WAAS enabled!

At this point, I predict sales of the Garmin 430/530 will deteriorate until they get WAAS.

I'm waiting.

DB
Old September 28th 03, 09:59 PM
ArtP

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 20:34:17 GMT, "DoodyButch"
wrote:

Ironically, the lowly Garmin GPS 295 portable/handheld is WAAS enabled!

But it is not IFR certified. The GNS 430/530 would not need a higher
refresh rate if they did not want them to be IFR certified.
Old September 29th 03, 12:46 AM
EDR

I was all ready to order a (wildly popular) Garmin 530 upgrade but now I =
have read that these units are not WAAS capable and will need a =
motherboard upgrade whenever they develop a WAAS capability, since there =
are fundamental problems with the basic refresh rate - see this months =
Aviation Safety.
WAAS is very important, needless to say, since it increases the accuracy =
a lot, and it could save your life. Ironically, the lowly Garmin GPS =
295 portable/handheld is WAAS enabled!
At this point, I predict sales of the Garmin 430/530 will deteriorate =
until they get WAAS.
I'm waiting.

Just buy the UPSAT all in one, it has everything you want and need.
Much nicer interface, too.
Old September 29th 03, 02:18 AM
Jeff

the 295 (which I have right now) updates ALOT slower then the 430/530
GPS/COM's, plus its not IFR certified.
The 430/530's are IFR certified and can do alot more. I had put a 430 in
my cherokee 180 and loved it. Nice system. Right now I am considering it
for my new plane, WAAS is not something I need, but from what I
understand from talking to my avionics shop, all that is needed when the
WAAS updates come out is for you to take it to the shop and they will
update the software in it. No big deal, only takes a few minutes.
I dont see sales going down on the 430 or 530, they are really good
systems especially now since you can get the terrain data base for it.

Old September 29th 03, 04:25 AM
ArtP

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:18:38 -0700, Jeff wrote:

Right now I am considering it
for my new plane, WAAS is not something I need, but from what I
understand from talking to my avionics shop, all that is needed when the
WAAS updates come out is for you to take it to the shop and they will
update the software in it. No big deal, only takes a few minutes.
I dont see sales going down on the 430 or 530, they are really good
systems especially now since you can get the terrain data base for it.

According to Garmin updating my dual GNS 430s for WAAS will cost $1500
per unit. They have to be removed and shipped to the factory.
Old September 29th 03, 11:36 AM
Mark T. Mueller

The 430/530 do not meet the WAAS TSO (146a, I believe). They were designed
long before this TSO went final. Garmin always said the 430/530 would be
"upgradeable", but I think the final TSO caught them by surprise.

You WILL need a hardware upgrade in the boxes to provide the 1 Hz refresh
rate required by the TSO. Garmin reps at OSH this year stated the upgrade
should be available early next year, but based upon Garmin's typical
schedule challenges, it will probably be more like late 04 before they can
provide good turn-around, and that's assuming they don't find any "issues"
with the hardware upgrade...

There will be a significant software upgrade as well.

Seeing as there are only a handfull of LNAV/VNAV approaches published, I
don't see the hurry in finding the que. I will wait a bit until the hardware
upgrade is on the street for a couple months and any inevitable problems are
worked out...

In the meantime, were I to buy right now, I would probably go for the CNX80,
but I would be concerned that Garmin has just bought UPSAT and future
product support. The "gist" I got from the Garmin reps at OSH was their
entire engineering staff is focused on rolling out the high dollar G-1000,
and everything else is taking a back seat at the moment. Kind of
disappointing, since I was hoping they would come out with an interface for
the 530 with WxWorx instead of that pathetic EchoFlight...

Garmin lost a major auto contract recently because of their high pricing
structure. Don't know how that's going to effect their business model, but I
hope they refocus on their core aviation market.

Old September 29th 03, 03:34 PM
JerryK

Why is WAAS a factor?

What is it that WAAS offers that you need? The accuracy increase is only a factor for approaches.

Old October 1st 03, 06:26 AM
Jeff

Thats alot more then I was quoted from my avionics shop, they said 500$
and they updated the software.

Old October 1st 03, 02:07 PM
Dave Butler

ArtP wrote:

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 18:18:38 -0700, Jeff wrote:

Right now I am considering it
for my new plane, WAAS is not something I need, but from what I
understand from talking to my avionics shop, all that is needed when the
WAAS updates come out is for you to take it to the shop and they will
update the software in it. No big deal, only takes a few minutes.
I dont see sales going down on the 430 or 530, they are really good
systems especially now since you can get the terrain data base for it.

According to Garmin updating my dual GNS 430s for WAAS will cost $1500
per unit. They have to be removed and shipped to the factory.

Correct. Check this press release from Garmin:
http://www.garmin.com/pressroom/aviation/060403.html

Dave

Remove SHIRT to reply directly.

Old October 1st 03, 05:00 PM
Ron Natalie

"Jeff" wrote in message news:xAteb.44567$vj2.42107@fed1read06...
Thats alot more then I was quoted from my avionics shop, they said 500$
and they updated the software.

I talked to Garmin at Oshkosh. It will require sending the unit back. There is
a hardware change required. It's not just a software change.