Civil Air Patrol

Old January 15th 04, 03:19 AM
BoDEAN

Default Civil Air Patrol

Any pilots / CFI's a member of this?
Your input would be appreciated on your experiences, and if it's
worthwhile for a current CFI to join.

Old January 15th 04, 03:37 AM
David

Any pilots / CFI's a member of this?
Your input would be appreciated on your experiences, and if it's
worthwhile for a current CFI to join.

You'll find opinions good and bad. You really need to join for a year and
find out for yourself. I left because the paperwork and CAP currency
qualifications became too overwhelming. It's hard to stay mission qualified
because every time you turn around something is expired or you haven't been
signed off in the new required training class on how to properly apply the
wheel chocks.

Old January 15th 04, 03:40 AM
C J Campbell

"BoDEAN" wrote in message
news | Any pilots / CFI's a member of this?
| Your input would be appreciated on your experiences, and if it's
| worthwhile for a current CFI to join.

As a current CFI you will automatically receive the rank of captain, which
adds to more zeros to your paycheck. You will be expected to give free
flight instruction to the other members.

You will also do some very worthwhile things.

Old January 15th 04, 04:54 AM
Peter Gottlieb

"BoDEAN" wrote in message
news
Any pilots / CFI's a member of this?
Your input would be appreciated on your experiences, and if it's
worthwhile for a current CFI to join.

I'm a member. Your experience in USAFA-CAP will vary depending on the
Squadron/Group/Wing you are in. There is a lot going for the organization
that is beyond the Search and Rescue aspect. You might find it interesting
to teach cadets aerospace topics, you will certainly meet many interesting
and good aviation-minded people, and you will certainly learn a lot. Or,
like me, you will know that you are a part of an organization that can do
some good and help out if we are attacked again or there is a natural
disaster.

To a large part, what you get out of it depends on what you put into it.

Like another poster said, find local squadrons, attend some meetings, and
meet the people. Then if you like what you see, join up for a year, dig in,
and then decide for yourself.

Peter

Old January 15th 04, 05:54 AM
BTIZ

more zeros to zero?

Old January 15th 04, 05:56 AM
BTIZ

get involved with a CAP Wing/Squadron that has gliders.. lots more fun.. and
you get the CFI-G add on is not that difficult..

but for any CAP unit.. make sure they have an airplane assigned to them.
Mostly C-182s.. as a CFI they'll probably make you a check pilot. Meetings
twice a month, at least one safety meeting at one of those. Learning to do
Search and Rescue Grids.. and new requirements coming down under
HomeLandSecurity..

BT

"Peter Gottlieb" wrote in message
et...

Old January 15th 04, 06:36 AM
BoDEAN

So I can be a full time CFI
and do CAP on the side? CAP pays?

Old January 15th 04, 09:54 AM
C J Campbell

"BoDEAN" wrote in message
| So I can be a full time CFI
| and do CAP on the side? CAP pays?

That is what CAP stands for: Come and Pay. :-)

I am sure that CAP will double my pay check just for telling you this. :-)

Old January 15th 04, 12:27 PM
Roger Long

Take a very close and skeptical look at the maintenance of the aircraft.
There are some Wings that do an excellent job but the organization as a
whole gives about zero guidance to local units on maintenance. Get the
wrong person overseeing the aircraft and it can be a horror show. They make
a big deal out of the Air Force inspections but what do those guys know
about GA aircraft and AD's? In the day or two they spend at a unit they are
pretty busy making sure that things like the uniform dress code are properly
posted on the bulletin board.

I joined and became a maintenance officer. I found:

Missing ELT antenna (after an annual inspection)
POH with performance data for wrong engine
Static wicks missing from balanced control surfaces
AD's not complied with
Instruments with improper markings
Different weight and balance depending on where you looked (and these planes
are usually flown close to gross)
etc., etc.

I reported this stuff to my CO. He said we had to tell the pilots
immediately and reported to his CO.

Wing rushed in, assured the pilots that "after extensive discussions with
the FAA" no problems were found and the aircraft were fully airworthy. Then
they put the planes in the shop, spent a lot of money, and forced me out of
my job. I resigned.

If you have a high tolerance for this sort of thing, you will love CAP. It
is an important mission, a chance to do interesting and challenging things
with dedicated people. I wish I could still be in it but I'm just too picky
when it comes to matters of aircraft maintenance and integrity.

--
Roger Long

Old January 15th 04, 04:29 PM
Jim

I looked into it and refuse to join for the very same reasons. Local Check
pilot that claims to be the area's Safety Administrator is commonly known to
fly like an idiot and recently totaled a CAP 182 while checking out a
member. Paperwork, bureaucracy, and hypocrisy. I give the guys that can
stick with it a lot of credit.
--
Jim Burns III

Remove "nospam" to reply