Towing trailer and glider with a honda civic

Old March 14th 18, 04:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
2G

Default Towing trailer and glider with a honda civic

On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 7:10:27 AM UTC-8, Dan Marotta wrote:
I would not recommend assuming that a manufacturer "assumes".Â* When in
doubt, ask the manufacturer.Â* My experience in the auto industry,
involved with manufacturer's engineering specifications, indicates that
they have very stringent specs.Â* Give 'em a call.

On 3/2/2018 9:00 AM, 2G wrote:
On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 7:54:13 AM UTC-8, son_of_flubber wrote:
Now that OP has made his decision, I'll drift the thread with this towing tidbit...

I looked into towing with a hybrid. There is an issue with overheating of the electric motors on long grades. The 'recommended tow weights' are much lower for the hybrid version of the same model vehicle. I'd guess that part of the issue is that the same motors are used for 'regenerative braking' on the downgrades, so they don't get a chance to cool off.

Remember that manufacturer recommended towing limits are assuming a shorter wheelbase utility type trailer, not a long wheelbase glider trailer. Weight is not the only issue to consider. And they probably also assume short, local trips, not long-distance trips.

Tom

--
Dan, 5J

By all means - call. But I can tell you that recommendations are based on an expected population of trailers. Glider trailers are the exception, not the norm. Utility trailers are the norm. The dynamics of glider trailers are much different than utility trailers.
Also, the accident-free history of a particular car and particular trailer does not mean that that combination is safe, let alone a broad spectrum of cars and trailers. All that it means is than an accident hasn't so far, and is no guarantee that it will not happen in the future. You may not have encountered the set of conditions that will push you over the edge. Losing control of a car and trailer at highway speeds is serious business. Personally, I will invest in a better tow vehicle before I will risk my - and other motorists who with whom I'm sharing the road - safety.
Tom

Towing a single place glider trailer with a Ford Ranger or Chevy S-10 [email protected] Soaring 18 May 3rd 09 11:31 PM
Glider towing with 08 Honda CR-V? Tuno Soaring 12 October 18th 08 07:35 PM
Motorhome towing a glider trailer tmlkbr Soaring 11 May 14th 08 06:44 AM
Trailer towing safety CH Soaring 9 August 13th 03 05:45 PM
Glider trailer towing Jeff Landfield Soaring 0 July 21st 03 04:25 AM